Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gear I Wish I had Bought Sooner

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gear I Wish I had Bought Sooner

While certainly not Ultralite, I would agree with most of the things in this Dan Becker video.
      Currious if you have any "definitely agree" :thumbup: , or on the other side of the spectrum "no way". :thumbdown:

Backpacking gear I wish I would’ve bought sooner:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I must be on the other side of the spectrum. I don't want most of the items on his list.

The one I sometimes take is a pillow. I really don't have much use for it when I am hammocking, but I use it as a stuff sack for my extra clothes anyway.

The one I would give a try is the Leuko tape. He is right, the Mole Skin usually fails.

After that, I don't use poles, I have a bladder but stopped using it, no satellite for me, no cell phone - so no apps - I use paper maps. Yah, I'm probably gonna die.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • My post is almost the same as Scotty. I carry a pillow that I don't like and one of these days I'll probably upgrade. I bought some Leuko tape years ago based on its rave reviews and have never used it (can't remember the last time I had a blister). But it's there if I need it. I admit that a chair seems intriguing but I'm not old enough to get one yet. :) It reminds of the old saying that you can be comfortable hiking or you can be comfortable camping and this strikes me as camping gear.
      2,000 miler
    • 3 in I definitely do are:
      • trekking poles (Leki)
      • 1L Platypus and starting last year replaced sawyer bag with 2L CNOC
      • Luekotape
      4 in the sorta category:
      • Does FarOut count as good navigation?
      • Sea-to-Summit air pillow
      • Large cooking pot (JetBoil will hold everything up to 230mg, but not 500mg fuel)
      • Hellonix 0 Camp Chair (but only take on weekend trips)
      2 in I do not:
      • Trekking pole tent (don't believe I will ever go away from BA semi-freestanding, although I really am enjoying side door Tiger Wall after around 10 years of front entry Seedhouse and Fly Creek)
      • Satellite Communication (although perhaps I should rethink that one)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

I must be on the other side of the spectrum. I don't want most of the items on his list.

The one I sometimes take is a pillow. I really don't have much use for it when I am hammocking, but I use it as a stuff sack for my extra clothes anyway.

The one I would give a try is the Leuko tape. He is right, the Mole Skin usually fails.

After that, I don't use poles, I have a bladder but stopped using it, no satellite for me, no cell phone - so no apps - I use paper maps. Yah, I'm probably gonna die.
      Fellow member of the no-app paper map brigade. I thought I was the only one left who doesn't carry a cell phone. There's seldom a signal where I hike anyway. Maybe if PLB functionality comes to prepaid Android I would consider it, because I do carry a PLB when alone in remote areas. Just replaced the battery pack in mine, in fact. Almost easy and painless.

max.patch, I like your maxim about "you can be comfortable hiking or you can be comfortable camping" - it does capture the dynamic succinctly.

As for gear I wish I had bought sooner, I'll say a backcountry or travel bidet. Both at home and when traveling, it has been a life changer for the better. I wish I had adopted that method sooner.

In the maybe category, I'd put a hammock camping setup. I love its advantages over tent camping, but it comes with a learning curve of its own, and no small amount of fiddle factor. So I have mixed feelings.

In the ironic category I'd put Katoolah Microspikes. I wish I had bought them sooner because I went out and bought them the day after I really needed them. But the irony is that I've not needed them since.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

On the plane today I met a chemical engineer who is one of the people who works on bullet proof fabrics and dyneema.
      I am sure that was an interesting conversation. :thumbup:
      Meh, mostly he wanted to talk about the new fabric for bullet proof vests that can stop those armor piercing bullets. It's a fabric with a ceramic outer layer.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference