Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

BSP Question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

No, but I originally planned to. Unfortunately in trying to catch better weather to summit, I slowed down at the end of the 100 mile wilderness and then took a zero at Abol Bridge. So after burning those two days I just had Shaw's pick me up and take me back to Monson.
      My summit dinner unfortunately was just the best sandwich I could find at a gas station on the way back to Monson. :(
      I've been rethinking my my plan to go NOBO to allow some more flexibility to adjust for weather or needing to bail out as you apparently did. Plus the layover connections are a little better going NOBO so I could avoid sitting around a bus station for a half a day and scheduling a pre hike zero day as would have to do going SOBO.Did you use a food drop in the HMW or just carry all your food?
      I had just completed the Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch section, and then drove up to Monson. I strongly recommend staying at Shaw's. Great breakfast and then they will take you to the AT trailhead. I paid them to bring me food half through the 100 mile wilderness. They give you a bucket to fill up and put your name on it. They had me call from White Cap Mountain a day before to confirm what day I would be there to meet them. Worked out great for me.
      Johnson Pond Road was where I met them for my food drop.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I did some more reading. From what I can tell, The Hermitage is a grove of old growth pines trees on (or near?) the AT by Pugwash Pond just north of the West Branch Pleasant River crossing.

Just north is a loop trail west of the AT through Gulf Hagas, a narrow gorge with many waterfalls. It sounds like it would be a nice side trip, if time and energy allowed. Many seem to call it "The Grand Canyon of Maine", which seems a stretch. Having hiked the real Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. I have observed that there are dozens of places that call themselves "The Grand Canyon of xxxx", but the Grand Canyon is never compared to anything else. Does anyone ever look at it and say "Wow! It's like the Gulf Hagas of Arizona"?. I don't think so.
    • One other Q. Am I correct that dispersed camping is allowed and sites reasonably available all along the trail in the HMW. I ask because I saw that camping was not allowed in the Gulf Hagas area and there was a fee camping area east of the Hermitage just outside AT corridor. I have not seen anything about camping regulations along the AT (except in BSP, obviously).
    • odd man out wrote:

One other Q. Am I correct that dispersed camping is allowed and sites reasonably available all along the trail in the HMW. I ask because I saw that camping was not allowed in the Gulf Hagas area and there was a fee camping area east of the Hermitage just outside AT corridor. I have not seen anything about camping regulations along the AT (except in BSP, obviously).
      My understanding was it is ALLOWED unless posted otherwise.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • We have a "Little Grand Canyon".

<snip>

"Uncover the layers of 'Georgia’s Little Grand Canyon' as you navigate the unusual geological formations created by erosion of the Coastal Plain after years of poor agricultural practices, hike miles of sandy nature trails, and gaze at dark skies while camping at Providence Canyon State Park."

I've been there and it's a nice hike -- and much different than the N GA mountains -- but it never reminded me of the Grand Canyon.

gastateparks.org/ProvidenceCanyon
      2,000 miler