Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

From thru hike to a section hike on A.T

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• From thru hike to a section hike on A.T

Well originally decided to do thru-hike nobo. Then turns out my employer may be willing to work with me if I am only gone for 3-4 months...alright that is a good alternative to having to up and quit. Tax returns were gouged this year and funding is lower than I had planned for and will be receiving later than had planned for. So instead of rushing off at the end of march looks like we won't be able to leave until mid April-may. We are considering a section hike preferably half of the trail if we make pace. Any ideas on where we should start? I was thinking SoBo from harpers ferry mid April so we can make it to damascus in time for trail days. Would that be too early of a start? I assumed 10mile days to start but I was originally planning that for Georgia with much more elevation change. I thought starting there would be easier on the ankles to get my trail legs broken in and try to gain more mileage. what do you recommend if you have 3months on the trail for someone who's not quite where they wanted to be in preparation? I haven't been able to hike since nov?
    • Re:From thru hike to a section hike on A.T

I will be taking my vacation time before I leave to get another trip in at the adirondacks and knock out another 46'er or two and I have Been training on the treadmill with my full pack on 30 degree incline so I still maintained leg muscle through weightloss. I do like the idea that I will have time to get some day hiking trips in around here In that month since most trails open up around mid march =]
    • Re:Re: Re:From thru hike to a section hike on A.T

Bekki wrote:

I will be taking my vacation time before I leave to get another trip in at the adirondacks and knock out another 46'er or two and I have Been training on the treadmill with my full pack on 30 degree incline so I still maintained leg muscle through weightloss. I do like the idea that I will have time to get some day hiking trips in around here In that month since most trails open up around mid march =]

Have you done Wolfjaws, Gothics and Armstrong loop from JBL?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

JBL is about 3-1/2 miles from the Garden parking lot. You can camp just south of JBL, stay at JBL$$$$$ or stay at the WolfJaws shelter. The hike is best done as a day hike so leaving your gear at JBL like we did (It was 1985 so they may or may not allow that anymore) or just go superdupperultralight since it's just an overnight. It was the highlight of my Adirondack hike.
      Images
      • Picture1_2014-02-23.png

578.18 kB, 446×415, viewed 438 times
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Thank you =] and I think I might just do that as my trip before the big at hike. awesome suggestion. I love it out there. And as for the A.T. What do you suggest as a 3 month section? for someone leaving in may? I'm not in the best of shape yet. still losing weight and I am using the A.T to help clear my mind. And help me with my integration of a healthier life style. Quit smoking already and have dropped 55lbs thus far

But my legs have been solid since I had started hiking a few years ago. I would prefer to take my pack with me as I take any opportunity I can to wear it. But when I did Marcy and phelps I took my pack off and left it when we ascended the peaks moved off trail and came back for it when we looped back. it's tricky when you have an overweight pack (60lbs) and headed down rock face lol

If I was just doing a single overnight near JBL I would only have the barest essentials.

Sleeping bag, pad, clothing, rain gear, water bottles, first aid kit (4 bandaids), no cook food. The wolfjaws trail is a bit tougher then the Marcy trip so going real light would have it's advantages.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Bekki wrote:

Thank you =] and I think I might just do that as my trip before the big at hike. awesome suggestion. I love it out there. And as for the A.T. What do you suggest as a 3 month section? for someone leaving in may? I'm not in the best of shape yet. still losing weight and I am using the A.T to help clear my mind. And help me with my integration of a healthier life style. Quit smoking already and have dropped 55lbs thus far

Start at Springer and go north. Your hiking in the Adirondacks so Georgia and North Carolina are doable for you. Go slow. Max is correct about many people not liking to hike solo for long periods. I like hiking solo for about 5 days then need some conversation.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Bekki wrote:

But my legs have been solid since I had started hiking a few years ago. I would prefer to take my pack with me as I take any opportunity I can to wear it. But when I did Marcy and phelps I took my pack off and left it when we ascended the peaks moved off trail and came back for it when we looped back. it's tricky when you have an overweight pack (60lbs) and headed down rock face lol

Girl, you must have a killer set of muscles to carry 60lbs! I'm impressed. Have you read Wild? The part where she can't lift the pack off the floor? That would be me trying to lift your pack.
      Lost in the right direction.

Rasty wrote:

If I was just doing a single overnight near JBL I would only have the barest essentials.

Sleeping bag, pad, clothing, rain gear, water bottles, first aid kit (4 bandaids), no cook food. The wolfjaws trail is a bit tougher then the Marcy trip so going real light would have it's advantages.

I Should have taken the hint it's titled wolf jaw lol. Sounds mildly painful. Ok I'll look into leaving gear at the Loj then. Lighter would be better. We are hammock camping. I think I could figure something out.

Rasty wrote:

Bekki wrote:

Start at Springer and go north. Your hiking in the Adirondacks so Georgia and North Carolina are doable for you. Go slow. Max is correct about many people not liking to hike solo for long periods. I like hiking solo for about 5 days then need some conversation.

Would leaving from springer in may be pretty quiet? Ill be with my boyfriend but being that we live with each other we can run out of stuff to talk about, and playing the harmonica can get boring after so many days I'm sure lol. I will be working on a documentary about the importance of having emotional support animals on the trail. I had wanted to leave in early April so I could get plenty of footage of others except funding won't work out so well. But I would like to see as many people as possible so I'm not too sure what will be best. If I head south from harpers ferry I would eventually run into thruhikers from the opposite direction. Idk I'm on the fence. And I looked at the elevation change and I figured it didn't look nearly as bad. But I've also looked at 46'er elevation maps and went oh that looks like cake. Then half way up start wondering where the easy part was haha. I do prefer going up hills as opposed to down though. everyone seems to say Georgia is tough and compare Georgia and New England as the worst parts... If hikers who do a lot more than me in better shape then me are saying its difficult I start wondering.

Oh I have nada upper body strength lol. my muscle is in my legs. Just the way I'm built I guess. and I felt it in my feet if anything I've found if my pack is properly sized and balanced I can carry as much as I need to. But I definately move slower that's for sure. I am in no way built lol. Perhaps there's a six pack hiding somewhere under my keg. I've got another 50lbs to go before I'm happy. Lol

I'd say start at Springer- too early to start at the other end and if you plan on section hiking best to hike from far away and walk towards home. That way if you want to sneak out for a week you aren't going so far from home. You could possibly do springer to harpers, leaving your remaining stretches of the trail within a day's ride from your house. While springer and big k are hard to get to, the middle 3/4 of the trail are pretty easy to reach via public transport and hitching or paying for a shuttle to take you the last bit. Aim to finish at a spot that's easy to get on and off and you'll find it easy to get back for the next stretch.

I did springer to hot springs last year in the second week of June- the trail had plenty of folks out and about. Don't forget the vast portion of the population is working. Plenty of teachers, who have summers off that are out for a section or doing what they can on their summer breaks. Scout troops were common in the smokies. Families, students, and college kids were all common as well.

I agree with the others too, nothing down south is any harder than the stuff you're doing close to home.

Since I am located I western ny it would be at least an 8hr drive. Buffalo area. I priced flight or train to each and they wind up being the same cost. but good point maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself. My folks always taught me to plan for the worst. And honestly they don't want me to do the trail at all. But the time is right and I want this more than anything. Ill check with hiker hostel about changing my reservation date, thanks