Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Shakedown, Maryland

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Shakedown, Maryland

My hiking partner of 12 years wanted to do one more hike. She just turned 75. We did a slow and steady hike of Maryland, from PenMar Park to Harpers Ferry. I used it as a shakedown of gear I plan to use in 2024. We took my collie mix dog. She was great, but half of my attention was on her and how she was doing. I will not be taking her next spring. I was very pleased with the gear choices.
    • She did very well. I kept her on a leash which was good as we came upon a large rattlesnake on the long trail to water at the Ensign Cowell Shelter. I made sure she had plenty of water, snacks, good quality food. Used Mushers Secret on her pads to keep them supple. She slept in or on my sleeping bag depending on temperature. Great with other dogs and people. Barked like crazy at every chipmunk or squirrel for 40 miles. It just took a lot of my focus and energy to care for her. This was her second AT hike.