Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

One step Closer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Interesting. The benefit of this designation seems a bit vague to me. It seems the biggest benefit is that being overseen by the USFS “might make it easier” to eliminate 15 mi of road walk/private land use.

My inclination is to want the BMT to fly under the radar for as long as possible.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Interesting. The benefit of this designation seems a bit vague to me. It seems the biggest benefit is that being overseen by the USFS “might make it easier” to eliminate 15 mi of road walk/private land use.

My inclination is to want the BMT to fly under the radar for as long as possible
      While I admit there is a tipping point, I wish my two local trails the Ouachita Trail and the Ozark Highland Trail got more traffic. Once May comes until October I am pretty much limited to State Parks trails, since these longer trails do not get enough traffic. Meaning their is too much growth over the trail including poison ivy and ticks.

If the BMT is going to become a realistic alternative it will probably benefit from a slight increase in traffic. Basic supply and demand also probably improve resupply. Still probably a big gap before becomes "just like the AT", and it looses its reputation as the wilderness adventure compared to the "AT Superhighway ". :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Good points Astro. I agree that some trails would benefit from more traffic. It’s extremely frustrating to me that trail building continues on the Cumberland Trail while sections are closed due to not being maintained. Not to mention the difficulty of hiking on trails that are managed by multiple agencies.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Interesting. The benefit of this designation seems a bit vague to me. It seems the biggest benefit is that being overseen by the USFS “might make it easier” to eliminate 15 mi of road walk/private land use.

My inclination is to want the BMT to fly under the radar for as long as possible.
      It would enable guaranteed long term preservation of the trail and it's corridor, as well as support the trail communities near the BMT. While I can understand some concerns, I can't foresee the BMT becoming anything like the AT. You've hiked it.Campsites are primitive and small, and resupply isn't as easy as the AT.
      I expect you will see a continued growth of hikers in the coming years, regardless, as it's now on the FarOut app. Before FarOut, many considered the navigational aspect of the trail intimidating. The increased funding will help the BMTA manage and maintain the trail more effectively.
      its all good
    • Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

My inclination is to want the BMT to fly under the radar for as long as possible
      While I admit there is a tipping point, I wish my two local trails the Ouachita Trail and the Ozark Highland Trail got more traffic. Once May comes until October I am pretty much limited to State Parks trails, since these longer trails do not get enough traffic. Meaning their is too much growth over the trail including poison ivy and ticks.
      If the BMT is going to become a realistic alternative it will probably benefit from a slight increase in traffic. Basic supply and demand also probably improve resupply. Still probably a big gap before becomes "just like the AT", and it looses its reputation as the wilderness adventure compared to the "AT Superhighway ". :)
      I don't believe the BMTA sees the trail as an alternative. I've seen some substantial changes since I first hiked it in 2014, but the wilderness nature of the trail has remained. Wilderness areas remain just that.
      its all good