Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Time for a change

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Time for a change

Life for me and my wife Kathy is about to change in a big way. She'll be calling it quits as a school bus driver at the end of this school year, near the end of June. She's been driving for 20+ years and has been driving the same neighborhoods for something like 14 years. She's seen generations of kids from the same families come and go. Then on Friday July 14th I'll be retiring after 50 years and 5 months as an aircraft mechanic. For the past year or so I've only been working 3 days a week but now I'm going to give it up for good. We do have some bucket list items we want to work on, hike the southern half of the AT, bicycle across the country, hike from New York City to our son's house in Ohio, and Kathy would like to do the C+O Canal trail and Great Allegheny Passage as one trip. She just can't decide if she wants to hike or bike them. It's 333 miles from DC to Pittsburg. While she hasn't talked about it in a while I know she's wanted to hike in the UK. We'll have to see what life allows us to do. First thing is I need for my foot problem to heal.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Life for me and my wife Kathy is about to change in a big way. She'll be calling it quits as a school bus driver at the end of this school year, near the end of June. She's been driving for 20+ years and has been driving the same neighborhoods for something like 14 years. She's seen generations of kids from the same families come and go. Then on Friday July 14th I'll be retiring after 50 years and 5 months as an aircraft mechanic. For the past year or so I've only been working 3 days a week but now I'm going to give it up for good. We do have some bucket list items we want to work on, hike the southern half of the AT, bicycle across the country, hike from New York City to our son's house in Ohio, and Kathy would like to do the C+O Canal trail and Great Allegheny Passage as one trip. She just can't decide if she wants to hike or bike them. It's 333 miles from DC to Pittsburg. While she hasn't talked about it in a while I know she's wanted to hike in the UK. We'll have to see what life allows us to do. First thing is I need for my foot problem to heal.
      Congratulations on well deserved retirement for both of you! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Congrats! Like OMO, I'm in the home stretch and can't wait to take a new position with lousy pay but 365 vacation days.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • As of right now we're thinking that doing the C+O and Gap will be our first post retirement adventure. I've ordered the new trail guide but We still don't know if we want to walk or cycle the 333 miles of DC to Pittsburg but are pretty well decided to do it this coming fall. It would be a great way to spent leaf peeping season.
    • Some 4+ years back, on my last out-sourced layoff, I decided to quit the rat-race. Shoot, couldn't probably find a job anyway. We had more than enough to retire so I did. Never regretted it. And yes, I often think "How did I have time to work". But I've had to deal with several deaths in the family.
      Wishing you and yours all the best!
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • LIhikers wrote:

As of right now we're thinking that doing the C+O and Gap will be our first post retirement adventure. I've ordered the new trail guide but We still don't know if we want to walk or cycle the 333 miles of DC to Pittsburg but are pretty well decided to do it this coming fall. It would be a great way to spent leaf peeping season.
      Just make sure to add the 'h' to Pittsburgh before you get to Point State Park at the end of the GAP. They're pretty sensitive about it. :thumbsup:

I'll be cheering you on. From my desk. :cursing:
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Well July 14 has come and gone, my last day of work. This being retired is going to take some getting used to. After 50+ years of doing work that I got a lot of satifaction from I'm going to need a new direction. We're planning to hike between Washington DC and Pittsburgh this fall and next spring hike Harper's Ferry and Springer Mt.. We'll see what life brings.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Well July 14 has come and gone, my last day of work. This being retired is going to take some getting used to. After 50+ years of doing work that I got a lot of satifaction from I'm going to need a new direction. We're planning to hike between Washington DC and Pittsburgh this fall and next spring hike Harper's Ferry and Springer Mt.. We'll see what life brings.
      Congratulations!!!
      There is a lot to see in this country and the rest of the world. And you have a wonderful wife to enjoy it with! :)

Based upon my past week, I can not help but share Horace Greeley's advice and "go west young man".
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General