Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Short Walks with Coach Lou

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I have hooked up with the Long Distance Trail Crew and will be working on the relocation on West Mountain this August and September

They're relocating the mountain?

That is why it will take 4 weekends

I can barely get all my firewood trimmed and stacked in 4 weekends.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I have hooked up with the Long Distance Trail Crew and will be working on the relocation on West Mountain this August and September

There's another West Mountain relocation in progress? Seems as if they just had one. What's going on this time?

I may have misunderstood.....maybe building something ON the relocation. I will find out the 1st weekend of August.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

They're relocating the mountain?

That is why it will take 4 weekends

You're faith is impressive!

That is because it is done with volunteers.....not government workers. :thumbup:
    • It can't be this weekend - Elf and I are planning a trip to the Catskills for some no-blazing. (Trying for 4 trail-less 3500-footers.)

I'm not sure which pond you're talking about... I don't know a Turtle Pond in Harriman. Of the ones I know we passed, Island Pond doesn't allow swimming, but Silvermine Lake and Tiorati both do. :)
      [/quote]

Island Pond it is. You mean we can't swim when there's no life guards on duty? Darn :/
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • CoachLou wrote:

That is because it is done with volunteers.....not government workers. :thumbup:

But in the case of the RPH weekend they paid handsomely in food and drink and camaraderie. Just like hikin' you're burning so many calories you can eat anything and not worry. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but it's too much driving to be doing every weekend. I've got to find work on more local trails or move closer to the AT.

Any of you' all who'd like to carpool (from Boston area) for trail work, PM me. I'm pretty sure Cosmo C. (from Williamstown) would have work for us on the AT in his realm, any weekend.
    • moose717 wrote:

Island Pond it is. You mean we can't swim when there's no life guards on duty? Darn :/

I suppose there are a lot of Island Ponds! I'll be vacationing the week after next (7/27 to 8/3) on Island Pond -- in Atkinson, NH. Nice little house right on the lake. Come visit (open to all.) (PM me for details.)

FYI, it's about 45 minutes north of Boston, about 5 miles from I-93. On the lake, it could just as well be Winnipesaukee.
    • moose717 wrote:

There are places where you're likely to get away with it. Island Pond is one where you're more likely than usual to get a ticket for it, because the rangers are in pretty regularly policing the fisherfolk. (You can drive right up to the canoe launch in the summer.) The outlet end, where we were, is also kind of nasty, there's a lot of wreckage on the bottom from the never-quite-completed CCC dam, so you'd want to swim from the other side, anyway.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • We did some swimming in the third reservoir last year when we did a backpack. We also told ourselves if it was winter and we stood on our tiptoes we could see Big Hill Shelter so we were good to go :)
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • went up to harriman state park yesterday.about a mile before arden valley rd, I picked up 2 german kids. mentioned there were quite a few germans on the trail this year. I asked when they started, they told me 4 days ago. they weren't thru hiking, just out for a month. parked at elk pen, left 4 gallons of water at the parking lot, and headed down the at.went through the lemon squeezer, ive gone through it so many times, the scramble has become more of a quick mantle.i headed up to fingerboard shelter,and took a break for a snack. so far id seen no one all day.i returned the way I came, but continued on the Ramapo-dunderberg trail, a beautiful trail that runs through a mixed forest, with hardwoods mixed with pine, spruce, and hemlock.the rhodos were blooming and all in all , it was a perfect day. the r-d trail hits an intersection, where I turned onto the long path,heading west back to the at and my car. when I got back to elk pen, I saw my gallons of water had been untouched. there was a guy sitting by his car with open crates of mtn house, bp pantry meals and another filled with candy and snacks. his name was roger, he works at campmor in corporate, and they give him free stuff to give away to thru hikers. he asked me if I wanted anything, I told him I was good.i sat and talked to him for a while. hes a former section hiker, but can't hike anymore due to a bad disc.a few nobos finally showed up, and they were treated to apples oranges, snacks, and free pairs of brand new darn tough socks!! the thrus were delighted. one of the nobos, red robin, I had met down south this spring. it was good to see she was still going strong, doing a 20 the day before. she says she has no idea how she can return to "normal life", that hiking the trail was what she was "born to do."
      the nobos continued on their trek, and I bid roger goodbye,
      did around 9 miles on the loop. felt great to get out.
      Images
      • 20140718_091645[1].jpg

200.92 kB, 800×480, viewed 398 times
      its all good
    • Dennytown Road SoBo to Bear Mtn. State Park

Sherrie, hr daughter Mackenzie and I take 2 cars down, and leave the Fish Car at Bear Mtn. We don't actually get hiking 'till 1045am, so we might as well stayed home and left Saybrook in the morning!

Long day for the girls.....8 miles with too much gear.

In the morning we were awoke by an invasion from a Ecuadorian Religious group setting up for their annual festival. They were claiming the table at our site on the Graymoor ball field. A few young fellas got their Moms a new table.

After a hasty exit we stopped at the Appalachian Deli. At the intersection of NY 403 and Rt. 9d
      .....................Sunday..later!
    • ..........so, Sunday we walk along another ridge.
      I really like the New York section of the AT. Very open woodland. Long site lines thru the forrest.
      And on a ridge the tallest pine is barely holding on. Lighting hit recently. As I passed by I saw an older scar on the other side.

We arrive at Hemlock Springs camp. An intersection of 2 forest roads and the AT. Many sites are scattered around. We find a good one and set up camp.

We only walked 4.2 miles, so we had all afternoon to set up and chill, by the time the monsoon came @ around 430. I actually napped :rolleyes: .
      At 7 I cooked the water for the freezer bag veggie stew. Rain again, and we sacked out.

This is Hemlock Spring AFTER the monsoon, with ancient technology, and the Fab Coral crocs

Sunrise @ Hemlock Spring Camp...................................Monday walk, later!

The post was edited 2 times, last by CoachLou ().

• Monday, On top of Anthony's Nose

A view at last! Bear Mtn, and her bridge

Looking south down The Hudson, The Tappen Zee in the haze

Overload, my wilderness woman and her daughter

Poor guy, waiting 'kitty by the door' for dinner!

I think Walt was the only other people at the park main area that spoke English!

Fun time, nice walk! The girls had fun....except the day I force marched them 8 ungodly miles! ^^

One more section of New York.....Sterling Forest, just 12 miles
    • CoachLou wrote:

..........so, Sunday we walk along another ridge.
      I really like the New York section of the AT. Very open woodland. Long site lines thru the forrest.
      And on a ridge the tallest pine is barely holding on. Lighting hit recently. As I passed by I saw an older scar on the other side.

We arrive at Hemlock Springs camp. An intersection of 2 forest roads and the AT. Many sites are scattered around. We find a good one and set up camp.

We only walked 4.2 miles, so we had all afternoon to set up and chill, by the time the monsoon came @ around 430. I actually napped :rolleyes: .
      At 7 I cooked the water for the freezer bag veggie stew. Rain again, and we sacked out.

This is Hemlock Spring AFTER the monsoon, with ancient technology, and the Fab Coral crocs

Sunrise @ Hemlock Spring Camp...................................Monday walk, later!

Now that sounds like a great outing.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Hey Lou, is there still an A.T. campsite just south of Dennytown road? My 2008 guide says that there is one near the larger car camping sites, but I was never able to find the thing and my newer guide doesn't mention it.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • The weather forecast in the Mid-Atlantic is Rain Friday, Rain Saturday, Rain Sunday. KillMe

I do not go out of my way to walk in the rain....sorry call me a sissy if you want ^^

I could car camp, day hike, visit civil war stuff............but, the New England weather appears to be ok. I have talked to 'The Proprietor' who will be on Greylock today...............we will see what walk the weekend brings.

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• No hike, but alot of Walking, at the ALDHA Gathering Around the Williams College Campus.

Greylock from West Peak at the Rt.2 hairpin

Hikerboy, Merry and Rafe and I don't know who at the Campsite,
      Greylock behind

Hikerboy, Wilson, & Hudson at opening ceremony....Big Lou is behind Hikerboy

This hall, most of the classes took place in.

@ the camp ground
    • Hiked with at lt today from lakes rd/ Fitzgerald falls to rte 17.8.4 miles.great day good company.
      Images
      • 20141019_125745.jpg

339.23 kB, 800×480, viewed 269 times
      • 20141019_113559.jpg

178.62 kB, 800×480, viewed 268 times
      • 20141019_083513.jpg

261.99 kB, 800×480, viewed 291 times
      • 20141019_113610.jpg

185.51 kB, 800×480, viewed 270 times
      • 20141019_132724.jpg

225.87 kB, 800×480, viewed 265 times
      • 20141019_132908.jpg

235.82 kB, 800×480, viewed 256 times
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

with all the wind, i was glad i didnt get hit with any falling branches.

I bet it was windy, up on those bald ridges! Any snow? There were flurries all day in the southern ADK's. Windy there, too. I camped last night right on a lake shore and was glad that I got the TarpTent Notch with the half-solid panels. They do a lot to cut the draft!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

with all the wind, i was glad i didnt get hit with any falling branches.

I bet it was windy, up on those bald ridges! Any snow? There were flurries all day in the southern ADK's. Windy there, too. I camped last night right on a lake shore and was glad that I got the TarpTent Notch with the half-solid panels. They do a lot to cut the draft!

no snow. not that cold, maybe upper 40s lo 50s.perfect hiking weather.
      its all good