Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Short Walks with Coach Lou

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey, Lou!

Sorry you're laid up - it s*ks! (* = 'tin', of course... ;) )

While I'm stuck doing mostly armchair hiking, I'm trying to get some good work done, collating other people's GPS tracks and making sense of them for Open Street Map.

Since I know you've done some maintenance on this one, I thought you might be interested in seeing where I've got to with hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?type=relation&id=919642

I'm still working on the northern sections, and starting from Schoharie County, there are a few parts that I don't have tracks for - definitely a project to get out there with GPS and grab them. (I definitely want to do day trips for the Middleburgh area - Vrooman's Nose is a nice overlook, and in 25 years of living up here, I've never got around to hiking the Middleburgh Cliff.) Then there's mapping the northern roadwalk.

Note that there are no good maps yet in existence for some of these sections. This stuff will get into my map the next time I roll in changes. (Which will have to be soon, because I have quite a backlog.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Hey, Lou!

Sorry you're laid up - it s*ks! (* = 'tin', of course... ;) )

While I'm stuck doing mostly armchair hiking, I'm trying to get some good work done, collating other people's GPS tracks and making sense of them for Open Street Map.

Since I know you've done some maintenance on this one, I thought you might be interested in seeing where I've got to with hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?type=relation&id=919642

I'm still working on the northern sections, and starting from Schoharie County, there are a few parts that I don't have tracks for - definitely a project to get out there with GPS and grab them. (I definitely want to do day trips for the Middleburgh area - Vrooman's Nose is a nice overlook, and in 25 years of living up here, I've never got around to hiking the Middleburgh Cliff.) Then there's mapping the northern roadwalk.

Note that there are no good maps yet in existence for some of these sections. This stuff will get into my map the next time I roll in changes. (Which will have to be soon, because I have quite a backlog.)
      Hope you feel better Lou!

Funny you posted about the Long Path....I haven't gotten out in about 3 weeks (Since my last trip to the Adirondacks) and the section of the Long Path from the GWB to the NJ/NY state line has been on my "to do" list for many years. Im planning on doing that this Friday. I literally grew up a mile from where the state line is and I've rode my Mountain Bike on that trail many times but never hiked it. The plan is park my car near Oak Tree Rd and Route 9W and take the bus to the GWB bus terminal.
      RIAP
    • CoachLou wrote:

Today was to be a training day.....it is still raining here in the Nutmeg state. Which is just as well. Friday, my office was a pigstye, so I did the big field day! I sprayed a cleaner on the floor and went and got a bucket and swab. Somehow I stepped on the wet tile and turned my ankle and down I went. No swelling, no Black& blue....but stiff and sore. It is best I rest it....if it was nice out I'd be out getting some miles in and making it worse and it will never heal by the end of June!
      Sorry to hear about it. You better rest up and get it right because come July I will be in CT!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Today was to be a training day.....it is still raining here in the Nutmeg state. Which is just as well. Friday, my office was a pigstye, so I did the big field day! I sprayed a cleaner on the floor and went and got a bucket and swab. Somehow I stepped on the wet tile and turned my ankle and down I went. No swelling, no Black& blue....but stiff and sore. It is best I rest it....if it was nice out I'd be out getting some miles in and making it worse and it will never heal by the end of June!
      Sorry to hear about it. You better rest up and get it right because come July I will be in CT!
      I'm fine, I've been walking the 100 yards to Subaru many times all week. I was just disappointed Sunday that I couldn't put a long day in on Sunday.
      Astro... You have to send me your rough itinerary, so I can plan some potential meet ups, and let me know where you might need a lift to resupply. I have already told my boss I plan on some time near the end of July or August.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Drybones wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Less than a month to my road trip to Roan Mtn. Have my room, 10K all set to shuttle me. Some walks planned to get in good shape....fish car maintenance scheduled.

I'm good to go....getting a little excited about it!
      What's your start date and how long are you out for?
      Sunday morning, 19 June 10K drops me off at 19e and I'll be out till I walk back to Erwin....4/5 days.......I ain't in no rush......but I would like to stop in Damascus on the way home and fish the creeks up towards Grayson

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• So I finally have a chance to sit down to file this report. My fingers are too fat to do this on the gadget!! And it is raining.

I meet Goodie at the base of Jug End and we leave his car. We drive up to the lot on Rt. 20. We decide to go sobo, which is good, we will be able to hook up with Army Ant and his troop on Sunday nite.
      As it turns out none of us camp at Tom leonard shelter for many reasons! I have walked this way before, but not the 7 miles from Webster Rd. thru Tyringham to Beartown Mtn. Road. Goodie needed the entire section.
      After the first 1/4 mile climb it just rolls along very nicely on a Saturday. Down into Tyringham it got alittle stuffy, but the meadow is open so the air was moving. I was moving right along and right up 'The Cobble'. It was hot in the afternoon, so we did take lots of breaks..........I think I napped at lunch :thumbsup: .
      We pulled into the Shaker camp around 6 and there was a group of folks set up on the 2 platforms and a guy near the wall in a hammock. We had already gotten water. I set up the Hooch, ate my samich and sacked out by dark. There was a thru there....he said something about being in 'distress', I tried to get a laugh out of him but he was having none of it. <X Anyone one of you that I have walked with before, will be happy to hear that we managed to leave by 0710 Sunday. On that first climb out, sobo, we cleaned out the water bars. :huh: .... :D It was a hot day, 81 at 0900, 2 climbs right off. At the N.Wilcox BB, I took a snack......and a nap. The heat had gotten to Goodie, so we pulled into S. Wilcox new shelter. Just as the afternoon thunderstorms started to roll in. We had service....I got a message that Army Ant had an illness in his party and they were slacking that first section. So not being able to do a 16 on Monday, Goodie got us a taxi from Rt. 23 trail head, about 4 miles down the trail.
      The taxi guy took us down a back road to my car. Goodie got the taxi, I told him I was getting the ice cream.......but I took another short cut back to his car, and missed the ice cream store KillMe :cursing:
      Hey, we got out....I got that little section that I needed. Goodie got a 21 mile piece done. I need Rt. 20 nobo to Dalton, and Mass will be done. I'm looking to finish Vt. if I can hook up and run with Astro next month. :thumbsup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by CoachLou ().

• Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Okay, now I'm really getin' itchy. Should I post this at tos to get the straight scoop on cooking on the trail.
      They would probably suggest Mountain House Raw Vegan Super-food Jerky mixed with Coconut oil Ramen Smoothies
      I forgot to add the words organic, sustainable, locally sourced and grass-feed
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Okay, now I'm really getin' itchy. Should I post this at tos to get the straight scoop on cooking on the trail.
      They would probably suggest Mountain House Raw Vegan Super-food Jerky mixed with Coconut oil Ramen Smoothies
      The pasta is free range and all the beef is vegetatian.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

How could you forget the most important thing.....gluten free.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

using grass as feed would make one's menu truly organic, locally sourced, and sustainable...if one didn't over graze.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

using grass as feed would make one's menu truly organic, locally sourced, and sustainable...if one didn't over graze.
      I recently watched a dog eating grass at Kid Gore.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Drybones wrote:

I read recently that all parts of kudzu are eatable, I'm going to try some one day, they say to cook the leaves as you would greens.
      Manatees appaprently like kudzu.

I saw a documentary about kudzu years ago and there were several inventors who had machines to chew it up so it could be taken somewhere, dried, and burned.

The kudzu disabled the machines.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I read recently that all parts of kudzu are eatable, I'm going to try some one day, they say to cook the leaves as you would greens.
      Manatees appaprently like kudzu.
      I saw a documentary about kudzu years ago and there were several inventors who had machines to chew it up so it could be taken somewhere, dried, and burned.

You don't want to camp near kudzu, it'll strangle you in your sleep.
    • Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Manatees appaprently like kudzu.I saw a documentary about kudzu years ago and there were several inventors who had machines to chew it up so it could be taken somewhere, dried, and burned.

Goats are the answer to the kudzu problem. Some people rent out their goats to clear out the kudzu.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Manatees appaprently like kudzu.I saw a documentary about kudzu years ago and there were several inventors who had machines to chew it up so it could be taken somewhere, dried, and burned.
      Goats are the answer to the kudzu problem. Some people rent out their goats to clear out the kudzu.
      They're using goats here to clean up old neglected cemetaries.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Manatees appaprently like kudzu.I saw a documentary about kudzu years ago and there were several inventors who had machines to chew it up so it could be taken somewhere, dried, and burned.The kudzu disabled the machines.
      They're using goats here to clean up old neglected cemetaries.
      I need to turn a couple of them loose in my house for a few days.
    • Finally I get a chance to file this report.

I got on the road after work on friday the 17th.... I rolled into Erwin around 5pm Saturday. I got the hiker rate at the Mountain Inn & Suites, about a mile from Uncle Johnies and the trail at the Nolichucky River.
      10K picked me up at 0730, Sunday, we had a good talk on the drive to Rt.19e. 9 miles to Overmountain Shelter. The climb sobo to Doll Flats was smooth, steep, but it sweeped along the side of the ridge as it climbed. As I climbed out of the forest and headed up the side of Hump Mtn. 2 folks were walking toward me....."Hey Coach".....it was Gambit Macrea from the Blaze! He was walking with a pretty sweet lookin' redhead! I stopped on top with a few folks for lunch. What a view! The Rhodies started, on the way down the azalea started. Did I say, what a view? As I approached the Gap between Little & Hump Mtns, an elderly woman and I struck up a conversation about the marvelous scene around us, when my gazed spied some red flowers, on the hillside where you might not have looked just walking on the trail.............2 of them, one with one bloom and the other with multiple blooms, Grays Lilly. Just beautiful, and so healthy. She got all excited, she hadn't seen one in a while. She made me promise not divulge it's exact location. Up Little and around the corner and there was Overmountain off in the gap. Very pleasant nite at the shelter. Clear nite and a full moon. As usual I was the last one out, one thru left with me, but Nobo. He had to get to Damascus by Friday. The climb up and across Jane Bald and the ridge down to Carvers Gap was beautiful. No less than many beautiful views I've walked to along the AT. My first NC/Tenn panoramas. The Rhododendron, the Azalea, Grays Lilly. The similar but different understory, many plants getting ready to bloom still. I would love to walk up there again.
      Make no mistake South Bounders, those beautiful vistas and open breezes end at Carvers Gap! Not sure of water over the next half day or evening, I filled every thing I had up and climbed the green tunnel to the top. The highest shelter on the AT I declare a dump, and bushwhack down back to the trail. I did take a short break at the Stone Hotel site....and moved on. The switchbacks on the south face where welcome that late in the afternoon...with all that water. One of our crew members asked me take note when I went over them. He was up Roan before Bob Poeples Crew put them in. Folks were in Ash gap site, I had water, I kept walking. Maybe a mile still on the map is a little camera....I'm not sure what you could take a picture of, except the boulder I stealthed the Hooch behind. I took this spot to be the knob that is marked as Beartown Mountain.

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().