Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Days 2023

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've actually briefly thot about going to Trail Days twice.

15-20 years ago I had a weekend where the weather was supposed to be nice and the neither of the boys had a sporting event to coach/watch. So I got permission :) to go to Grayson Higlands for a few days. As I drove thru Damascus -- from where I live you have to drive thru Damascus to get to Grayson Highlands -- it was obvious it was Trail Days weekend. I was probably driving thru on Thursday so it wasn't crazy yet. I had no idea that this was Trail Days weekend. So I thought -- do I devote some of my time to Trail Days? Before I got thru town I knew the the answer was no.

On my thru I stopped at a convenience store on the trail somewhere in NC. Another thru stopped by and we chatted. He told me he was going to jump ahead to Damascus to go to Trail Days and wanted to know if I was going. My response -- "What is Trail Days?" :) (I did all my "planning" and gear upgrades nights and weekends over my 2 week notice period in pre internet times.) I thot about it for a minute and decided that the logistics of getting back to NC would be daunting so I declined.

To be honest if I lived in Damascus I'd probably leave town for the weekend.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I've actually briefly thot about going to Trail Days twice.

15-20 years ago I had a weekend where the weather was supposed to be nice and the neither of the boys had a sporting event to coach/watch. So I got permission :) to go to Grayson Higlands for a few days. As I drove thru Damascus -- from where I live you have to drive thru Damascus to get to Grayson Highlands -- it was obvious it was Trail Days weekend. I was probably driving thru on Thursday so it wasn't crazy yet. I had no idea that this was Trail Days weekend. So I thought -- do I devote some of my time to Trail Days? Before I got thru town I knew the the answer was no.

On my thru I stopped at a convenience store on the trail somewhere in NC. Another thru stopped by and we chatted. He told me he was going to jump ahead to Damascus to go to Trail Days and wanted to know if I was going. My response -- "What is Trail Days?" :) (I did all my "planning" and gear upgrades nights and weekends over my 2 week notice period in pre internet times.) I thot about it for a minute and decided that the logistics of getting back to NC would be daunting so I declined.

I haven't been to one since 2014. Frankly, not really that into it, which is why I may just go hiking instead. ALDHA will be there, of course,and I do have a few friends in Damascus,(and DaWolf, too), but I'll be down that way for the Gathering in October.
      its all good
    • max.patch wrote:

Similar feelings.

Long ago I took a trip to New Orleans during the off-season. Loved it.
      So a few years later I went during Madi Gras. Never again :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Da Wolf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I might be there, but still deciding.
      I'd rather go hiking. I'm the field editor for NJ for the Thru Hikers Companion and have to update it for 2024, with deadline end of July. I might use my time off to hike NJ instead.
      if ya decide you wanna hike down here around Damascus i'll give ya free ride to whatever trail head
      Thanks, wolf. It's going to depend on weather. If the weather is good here, I'll hike NJ, but if it looks lousy, I'll head down there.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

I might be there, but still deciding.
      I'd rather go hiking. I'm the field editor for NJ for the Thru Hikers Companion and have to update it for 2024, with deadline end of July. I might use my time off to hike NJ instead.
      Thanks for your work in support of the Companion.
      It's the trail guide that Kathy and I have been using since we started our hiking on the AT.