Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Bear canister how I loathe and love thee

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

Just got a Prime Pantry box today including stuff for when I plan to start the Ozark Highlands Trail on Monday. :thumbup:
      i need to try that, i've got a couple $5 credits from them for the pantry.

do they have any backpackinging food like mountain house et al in the program? obviously they're gonna have regular food like nuts, etc that we all take.

i used webvan years ago and liked it; but you could tell there was no way that business was gonna survive.
      2,000 miler
    • Didn't notice any Mountain House, but I didn't look either. What I got was mostly nuts, almond butter bars, and breakfast bars along with regular household stuff. Being winter and short daylight hours I don't want to fool with cooking breakfast.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • meat wrote:

I had no idea bear canisters cost what they do...I'm shocked and as much as I wouldn't really care about carrying one...I hope I'm never legislated to do so...that's a big hit!
      the small bear vault is $60-$70.

for anyone determined to camp in the 5 mile bear canister area in georgia you could rent one at the country store/hostel just north of woody gap and return it at mountain crossings at neels gap. i'd bet that the number of thru's that did that can be counted on one hand and you'd have fingers left over.
      2,000 miler
    • meat wrote:

I had no idea bear canisters cost what they do...I'm shocked and as much as I wouldn't really care about carrying one...I hope I'm never legislated to do so...that's a big hit!
      That Bearikade costs substantially more than an average can.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I've never once used a bear can. The recent thread about them on TOS and the comment about Bear Vaults being hard to open by had peaked my interest. When I was at REI yesterday they had a BV450 on display, so I thought I'd try for myself. I tried as hard as I could without making a major scene and could not get it open for the life of me.

I hope the tip on the thread about using a credit card or small blade for leverage really works.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I've never once used a bear can. The recent thread about them on TOS and the comment about Bear Vaults being hard to open by had peaked my interest. When I was at REI yesterday they had a BV450 on display, so I thought I'd try for myself. I tried as hard as I could without making a major scene and could not get it open for the life of me.

I hope the tip on the thread about using a credit card or small blade for leverage really works.
      I'm sure a slip of most any thin object will do the trick...do bears carry credit cards or gerbers?
    • max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

the small bear vault is $60-$70.
      for anyone determined to camp in the 5 mile bear canister area in georgia you could rent one at the country store/hostel just north of woody gap and return it at mountain crossings at neels gap. i'd bet that the number of thru's that did that can be counted on one hand and you'd have fingers left over.
      That sounds more reasonable! Funny though how when things get legislators/regulations involved, reasonable can go the way of political favor.
    • meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

the small bear vault is $60-$70.for anyone determined to camp in the 5 mile bear canister area in georgia you could rent one at the country store/hostel just north of woody gap and return it at mountain crossings at neels gap. i'd bet that the number of thru's that did that can be counted on one hand and you'd have fingers left over.
      That sounds more reasonable! Funny though how when things get legislators/regulations involved, reasonable can go the way of political favor.
      Bearicades are made of carbon fiber and aluminum, way more expensive than plastic. The Weekender 650ci comes in at 31ozs., unfortunately not Grizzy approved and has a sharp top edge that ate the inside of one of my Cuben packs. I use the BV450 for my present pack, fits better and just the right size for AT resupply distances, all round edges, one oz. more, half the volume, fraction of the cost.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

the small bear vault is $60-$70.for anyone determined to camp in the 5 mile bear canister area in georgia you could rent one at the country store/hostel just north of woody gap and return it at mountain crossings at neels gap. i'd bet that the number of thru's that did that can be counted on one hand and you'd have fingers left over.
      Bearicades are made of carbon fiber and aluminum, way more expensive than plastic. The Weekender 650ci comes in at 31ozs., unfortunately not Grizzy approved and has a sharp top edge that ate the inside of one of my Cuben packs. I use the BV450 for my present pack, fits better and just the right size for AT resupply distances, all round edges, one oz. more, half the volume, fraction of the cost.
      yeah I'm sure the bearicade is the Cadillac...I need the pinto! Thanks
    • bear canisters are only required on a 5 mile section in georgia over a 3 month period and only if you camp.

a couple years ago the ATC began recommending their use from springer to damascus.

i saw this today on their camping registration page:

The ATC strongly recommends use of a bear canister for food storage along the entire A.T. so you help prevent harm to both you and the bears! Use of a bear canister "is the single most effective thing you can do as a Wilderness (and A.T.) visitor to protect bears."

quite a change!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

bear canisters are only required on a 5 mile section in georgia over a 3 month period and only if you camp.

a couple years ago the ATC began recommending their use from springer to damascus.

i saw this today on their camping registration page:

The ATC strongly recommends use of a bear canister for food storage along the entire A.T. so you help prevent harm to both you and the bears! Use of a bear canister "is the single most effective thing you can do as a Wilderness (and A.T.) visitor to protect bears."

quite a change!
      little hard to sleep on though. :D