Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

should I stay or should I go now

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• should I stay or should I go now

Alright so I will be leaving for my thru-hike NOBO on march 25th. I am a little burdened by family trying o discourage me from going but I have my heart set on the trail. I have seen so many wonderful stories about those who had severe health issues completing the trail. people of all walks of life every color shape and size. I have Been planning for a year now. I feel that I need to rediscover life, savor each day and recalibrate everything. I have anxiety issues primarily fueled by my father. who also has Anxiety and control issues. I have been advised by both my father and mother (she works in the medical field) that my going on the trail could be life threatening. Here's my situation
      I am quite overweight weighing in at 235lbs at 5'7 ( I have lost roughly 50lbs recently) I am 24 years old
      I have weak ankles
      And a prior smoker (I recently quit after much procrastination)
      I have pcos (a female issue you can google it)

my blood pressure etc is all pretty much average no extreme risks,
      I gain weight in my stomach because of my stress and panic attacks I get due to my overly controlling fAther (they have since tapered down a lot since I moved out on my own) . Long story short I am not in the best of shape. I do love to camp hike and backpack (most of my experience in in the adirondacks) I wear an aircast under my boots to support ankles. My pcos puts me out of commission once every twos months (pain killers make me unfunctionable) I do not take any medication on a daily basis. I feel my best when moving and I focus way too much on bills and work I want to remind myself why I'm here to live my life. If I go my family will not give me their blessing they keep saying that my life is at risk. That I will have a heart attack and die, i will black out and hit my head and die, that I have undiagnosed "metabolic syndrome" , that I am "pre-diabetic" although my doctor said my bloodwork shows that my heart is healthy that my numbers show low risk for diabetes. I want to complete this trail to continue my weight loss, finish getting healthy and stop worrying so much about work and bills. And remember to enjoy life. when I look at everything I know if I do not go this year I wouldn't be able to go until I am at retirement age. This is the year to do it. I want this more than anything but I am finding no support from anyone aside from my boyfriend who will be thru hiking with me. And his parents. am I not taking into account how serious these warnings are from family. Or do you think they are overly concerned when there is no need to be? I know the biggest demon on the trail is yourself but does health ever come into account? Am I too overweight be to able to do this in one go? I feel otherwise but from those who may have more knowledge than me how do you feel? I feel that this would be just the thing to keep me on the right track. Can you use the trail to get healthy or must you be healthy before beginning? I will add I had lost weight last year then gained it back plus some more as a result of my anxiety and not eating at proper intervals I have a horrible habit of eating only once a day and sometimes not even eating at all.

Can it be done?
      Yes.
      Many people do it who aren't fit to begin with.

BUT.
      It isn't EASY.
      It's not just a case of saying "I'll go slow at the start" because you can't necessarily put up a tent where you want to spend the night.
      Also late March, the weather can turn nasty in Georgia and North Carolina very quickly.

I would recommend you start around Daleville/Roanoke (preferably a bit later than 25 March, say mid April - use the time in between to do more practice hikes) and hike north.
      This is generally easier terrain and will enable you to gain some level of hiking fitness while hiking the first couple of hundred miles literally within a stones throw of a road to get out on.
      It also allows you to take as long as you want/need without worrying about making Katahdin in time. People with your weight issues who do hike the trail usually take more than 6 months as they get fitter.
      If you get to Katahdin, then go back and finish the southern section.

Good luck.

Having said all that - do what YOU want to do. I suggest the above, but it's YOUR choice.
      Don't listen to naysayers, but it may pay to listen to options and don't feel you can't change your mind anywhere. You have free will, do what feels right for you.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

There are two problems:
      1-You are asking health questions from people who have no ability or right to answer them.
      2-You are asking people if you should hike.

1-talk to your doctor, have a stress test done and get the thumbs up. You clearly have health issues, but will you actually drop dead on the trail? If so, you should probably find a safe way under medical supervision to get your health repaired enough to avoid that. The trail is pretty sweet, maybe even worth dying for, but that advise should not come from an online forum, especially this one.

2-If you are asking if you should go, then you are asking yourself. If you don't believe it it won't happen. As you mentioned, many people with many problems have successfully finished. They finish because they believe they can. Many people quit work, go against thier families wishes, or deal with other large obstacles to hitting the trail. It's good you have a sense of urgency, with the course your life is on you need to do something. But the trail isn't going anywhere, many people have to put it off for a year or more to make it happen. It isn't an all or nothing deal, especially at 24 there are many more options than you think. If nothing else, the way this winter has gone, I would tell anyone regardless of what shape they are in to wait until mid-april. You could do a SOBO and start later this summer, there are plenty of ways to make it work.

Regardless- your doctor needs to answer question 1- if thier answer is no, then put your energy into doing what you need to do for them to say yes. Until you solve that problem the rest is irrelevant. Hiking is about one step at a time- don't try to skip the first step.

For question 2- only you can answer the question. Can you walk for five days in a row for 6 miles a day? You don't need the trail to do that. If you really want it, then prove to yourself you can do it. Don't even wear a pack, just try it. Even better- there are nine days left in the month- walk 6 miles with no pack on for six of them. No excuses. Prove it to yourself. If you know the answer you don't have to ask the question. Until your answer is YES, you won't convince your family or anyone else.

The trail can solve alot of problems, but you have to solve the problem of getting there, and develop the confidence to stay there.

I'm sorry but I just see disaster written all over this, I'm envisioning your first big panic attack.

sitting on a rock crying, gasping for air, heart beating outta your chest, wondering how you got here, hungry, tired, cold, ankle hurts, lactic acid rising by the minute, serious case of monkey butt, and the air cast has sprung a leak. How will you get yourself off the mountain?

one does not have to do a 6 month hike to achieve the things you want to achieve. Maybe just go hiking for a couple weeks...in the Daks, take a week off...then go again. Sounds like your body is gonna need some downtime after hiking...mine always does.

but if ya gotta go, ya gotta go. great luck to you. :)

ive hiked over 5000 miles and have never thru hiked, may never thru hike, dont care.
      get clearance from your doctor, and just do what you can.that youve made a decision about your health issues was the biggest first step. now its just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other till youve walked yourself into shape. how far you end up going is a smaller victory compared to the victory you've already achieved by making the decision to change.
      (yeesh, i sound a little like dogwood.) ITS ALL GOOD.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

ive hiked over 5000 miles and have never thru hiked, may never thru hike, dont care.
      get clearance from your doctor, and just do what you can.that youve made a decision about your health issues was the biggest first step. now its just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other till youve walked yourself into shape. how far you end up going is a smaller victory compared to the victory you've already achieved by making the decision to change.
      (yeesh, i sound a little like dogwood.) ITS ALL GOOD.
      So well said HB.
    • Re:Re: should I stay or should I go now

OzJacko wrote:

Can it be done?
      Yes.
      Many people do it who aren't fit to begin with.

BUT.
      It isn't EASY.
      It's not just a case of saying "I'll go slow at the start" because you can't necessarily put up a tent where you want to spend the night.
      Also late March, the weather can turn nasty in Georgia and North Carolina very quickly.

I would recommend you start around Daleville/Roanoke (preferably a bit later than 25 March, say mid April - use the time in between to do more practice hikes) and hike north.
      This is generally easier terrain and will enable you to gain some level of hiking fitness while hiking the first couple of hundred miles literally within a stones throw of a road to get out on.
      It also allows you to take as long as you want/need without worrying about making Katahdin in time. People with your weight issues who do hike the trail usually take more than 6 months as they get fitter.
      If you get to Katahdin, then go back and finish the southern section.

Good luck.

Having said all that - do what YOU want to do. I suggest the above, but it's YOUR choice.
      Don't listen to naysayers, but it may pay to listen to options and don't feel you can't change your mind anywhere. You have free will, do what feels right for you.

Excellent advise
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

The advice here is just stellar!!!!

There are some things your body just can't do. Sometimes your body can do a lot more than you expected it to do.

My experience is, it really doesn't matter. When the Doc says go, jump in with both feet.

My last expedition was a complete disaster. I got hit by lightening. I got caught in a rainstorm and all my stuff got wet. It snowed and I was the coldest I've ever been. I got tendonitis in my ankles and couldn't walk. I sunburned the top of my bald head so bad that it blistered. I got somewhere beyond tired, beyond exhausted, somewhere out there in stupor land.

It was without a doubt, the BEST time I've ever had. It may have been the best 14 days of my life! The trail is magical. The people are magical. Everything about the experience was great, spiritual, uplifting, life changing. I can't wait to get back on the trail and do it again!

The people on this site are a good representation of what you will find on the trail. The support, the camaraderie, the sheer quality of the folks out there inspired me.

What you would think of as ordeals were actually adventures.

Like has already been said, it's not about whether or not you make every mile, it's about getting out there and having a great time. Get out there and do it!!!!

I will not advise you about the hike. I believe your doctor should do that.

I will not advise you about your parents. You cannot change anyone else.

I will advise you about you. Control is about leveraging. Your father is leveraging. Remove his leverage. If he loves you, he will want a relationship with you. If he does not love you and would rather leverage than love, then it is best you find that out sooner than later. I am not suggesting ultimatums. I am suggesting that you are a free adult that should not feel guilt unless it comes from illegal, irresponsible, or immoral acts and that your father should not be the final arbiter of those details. The hike decision is just a symptom. You will face these struggles all your life if you cannot gain confidence. I will not go into why I know this other than that no one really knows things that they have only read about. Live and live right. Life is too short to do otherwise.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

I get told I'm too old to be hiking every time I load up the pack. Even my orthopedic doctor told me I should never be out more than a couple days at a time with my back issues. Not sure where he is coming from other than he is not a hiker. Bottom line to me is that it is worth the risks. My dream is to be found some morning in my tent with a big smile on my face.
      That said, asking hikers if you should hike is like asking the pastor if you should pray.
      I think your parents have a legitimate concern even if they may seem controlling. My advise would be to appease them a little. Tell them you have considered their advise and have decided to only hike a week or two and see how it goes. If it goes well you will try another week or two. They will feel better that you aren't going to hike 2000 miles and you can hike as far as you want. After all, a thru hike is just a bunch of small sections linked together.
      Most of all, have fun. Hope to see you out there.

I agree with Storm in that your parents concerns may be legitimate. There are many "ifs" and assumptions in advising. One can only assume you are portraying the situation accurately. There is no up side to assuming you are not. For what it is worth, I do not believe anyone is doing that. I know this much as a parent of 3 grown children: I do not have control over what they do. I have strong opinions and even stronger concerns about their choices in life. However, I am under no illusions that these are my choices. If my child was in your situation and stated that they wanted to do what you want and IF they ask for my opinion, I would say something like this: "That sounds like a great adventure. I hope you can do it. With any undertaking like this there should much planning. I am here for any advice you may want. However, I am not an expert on everything. I am sure you have legitimate concerns. I would seek the advice of those that are experts in those areas." At that point, all I can do is pray that my child would see my heart and respect that I am trusting them and hope that they seek the right advice (maybe even from me). Because in the end, if I try to leverage to control, all I do is drive away, even if my concerns are valid and I believe they have valid concerns.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

I agree with just about everything said here. I'll suggest another option. Start in Shenendoah NP. Have your parents drive you down. Have them slackpack you for a week or so. They can hike with you or play tourist . It will help you get your trail legs & show them what you can do. There are a variety of lodging option from camping in the park to lodges or motels in the valley. Towards the end of there time with you take your pack for a day or two. Hopefully by the time they are ready to depart they will see you are ready. If you camp it will also help you get gear dialed in. They can take what doesn't work & take it home or help you replace it. I suggested SNP because it has numerous places where it crosses the Skyline Drive to make slackpacking easy, but there are all over the area where it's possible with a little planning. I also suggest starting when warm. That way you avoid having to carry heavy cold weather gear.

If your doc says it's ok to do it, go for it. Get out & give it a shot. Only 20% that attempt a thru finish. Go give it a try. It's better than regretting not trying for the rest of your life.

As for me, I'd just up and go if that's what I wanted to do. I attempted a thru hike in 1997 and got all kinds of negative reaction - except from my 4 kids who were young adults at the time. They probably worried for my safety but didn't try to tell me what to do. My doctor was horrified that I was going alone, even though I told her I was taking my dog with me.

You are an adult, and even with all your health and anxiety issues you should be capable of deciding for yourself. If someone withholds their blessing from you it isn't going to change the trail or how you hike it, unless you allow it to. I'd say stand on your own two feet and try it. If you don't like it or if you think you can't make it, there is always a place to bail out along the way. But at least you gave it your best shot. The best of luck to you, whatever YOU decide.

While your parents concerns maybe real they are looking at this situation through a foggy window. Their vision is clouded by the fact that they really don't know what it's like on the trail or what it takes to live outdoors day after day. And from the sounds of it, either do you But none of us do at first, so don't let that stop you. Others have given you some great advice and alternatives to seriously consider.

If you'd like to make your first backpacking experience something logisticly simpler, and physically easier, consider hiking the C+O Canal trail. It's flat, goes for 185 miles, has a campsite every 5 or so miles, you'll pass a town almost every day and you'll be walking past a lot of very interesting history. In addition there'll be more people, able to provide more help, if you should need it. If you'd like more info about the C+O send me a message and I'll help all I can. I hiked it back in 2011.and had a great time.
    • Re:should I stay or should I go now

By the way congratulations on quitting smoking and loosing 50 pounds. I quit after 25 years of smoking about 11 months ago and I gained 25 pounds. Quitting smoking is an accomplishment. Quitting smoking and loosing weight simultaneously is a huge accomplishment.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I re-read your original post and want to say that you really need to study the nutritional aspects before you hit the trail. You say you don't eat, or just eat one meal a day, and that's not going to get you out of Georgia! I am going from memory here but I think most women need approx 4000 cal. per day once they get through the first few days. It would be a big mistake to think you can help your weight loss along by not eating much. One thing I regret is that in my thru hike attempt I didn't eat more nutritionally balanced foods. Pasta is ok, but you are making a big mistake if you don't research what foods you need for optimal performance.

The advice on here is phenomenal! I have thought about a leapfrog. I am still deciding on it, I do hike and I have been on backpacking trips day hikes etc on the adirondacks with and without my parents. They rush and then get exhausted and then I always seem to find my stride and pass them enjoying the burn the whole way.,the times I have packed it has been with 60-70lbs of weight it apparently takes practice to get that pack weight down but have the necessities. and I love that exhilarating feeling, where my subconscious goes are you forgetting anything ? And. I go no I have everything I need. Everything for the next few days and longer if I needed. I feel this release of stress when I backpack suddenly bills and pleasing people don't matter anymore that I can live for the now and bask in each moment, although I am overweight my legs are rock solid. my core strength is what needs work and strength in my ankles. I hiked 15 miles on a sprained ankle on the second day (my personal worst day for pain if I injure myself) I took my time and careful steps and summited mount Marcy. I was very surprised what determination can do. we are hammock camping now which i have found lightens the weight and makes it a lot easier to find a place to pitch camp. I feel that calling for the trail this year but I will wait for the doctors ok. the panic attacks seem to hit when I try to make everyone happy and forget about making myself happy. and as I have heard many times you've got to hike your own hike. is it going to be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Absolutely. I know you all aren't medical professionals but I'm sure you have all seen and been through a lot. and I completely respect and appreciate your feed back. I will definately keep you posted! and perhaps see some of you on the trail if any of you are going this year.
      Also I am a little uncertain of hiking sobo the lack of people, starting at the tougher terrain and elevation change going the opposite to where the trail has been weathered. I'm not sure that is too good of an idea. I do know I am further away from civilization once I get to New England, the whites and katahdin are not the places I would want to be injured. But a leap frog could be an option

Alone on the AT???
      LOL

Not trying to be mean but realistic.... from your description of yourself no one is going to sling you over their shoulder and run off with you.

Just listen to your body and your doctor (in that order).

I hike with a brain aneurysm. It hasn't burst yet. Apologies to anyone who finds me on the trail if it bursts when I'm hiking.

As they say nowadays - YOLO.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

before I had gone on the strict diet I am on I was training everyday on treadmill with my pack on. It has an elevation mode. I eat more when I hike and pack pack day hikes are usually trail mix and jerkey so we can keep moving. breakfast is a granola bar and lunch is some chicken and apple. I keep goo on hand because I had almost fainted due to heat stroke a while back on a day hike and had only consumed 400 calories before being out hiking the trails for 6 hours. Not sure of the distance it was just a typical summer hike in zoar valley to the waterfalls and around. When I start t feel tired I know it's time to eat. Typically I feel tired before my tummy growls lol. I am planning mountain house meals every other day. tons of jerkey granola and trail mix. can't take the weight of fruit, we will be doing pasta sides every other day between but with a healthy dose of protein. typically we find when hiking a high carb breakfast is best and protein and carbs for lunch depending on what we seem to need. vitamins to help with energy, potassium, electrolytes and just keeping a positive mind they do wonders. And do a light dinner but if we're feeling hungry will have extras around I know when I start the first few days ill eat about 1,500-2,000 calories easy, but usually that third day in my appetite seems to hit once I set up camp. And it comes with a vengeance haha.
    • Re:Re: Re:should I stay or should I go now

Bekki wrote:

Oh and I might add. This will be interesting because I am taking my hiking cat buddy with me....he is my emotional support animal. And I have all the paperwork for him to be able to come with. He keeps me goin [IMG:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/20/eje6aryv.jpg]

Does he like mice?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Haha no he can't. And yes he likes mice, he is a savannah cat and by the looks he's gunna be a big boy. Luckily he won't be much larger than an average cat until about month 5 on the trail. At that point though hell be used to the everyday hiking and if necessary will send him home. he's a ball of energy and loves to keep walking and running. I've even turned the treadmill on and he's walked on it hours. he thinks he's a dog. Have you guys heard of anyone taking a cat on the trail aside from that guy who took a kitten in his hoodie?

Bekki wrote:

Haha no he can't. And yes he likes mice, he is a savannah cat and by the looks he's gunna be a big boy. Luckily he won't be much larger than an average cat until about month 5 on the trail. At that point though hell be used to the everyday hiking and if necessary will send him home. he's a ball of energy and loves to keep walking and running. I've even turned the treadmill on and he's walked on it hours. he thinks he's a dog. Have you guys heard of anyone taking a cat on the trail aside from that guy who took a kitten in his hoodie?

I met a couple that were section hikers with cats. They rode on top of their frame packs every year for their two weeks vacation.

Wow that's perfect haha. I'm sure I'm not the only person who deals with a lot of people who think you're nuts. I swear I just had this conversation with a coworker the other day. He asked me where we get water, "so are there spigots along the way then? And what if you run out of water between spigots?" Um what? A creek or stream.... What about food do you actually take 6 months of food the whole way? and what no way you actually dig a hole to go to the bathroom? this guy is in his 40's I think it's obvious he's never been an outdoorsman lol. I thought all of this was common knowledge.

Wow, either your cat has big ears or a small head!
      And believe it or not, you won't be the first one to do a thru hike with a cat.
      I'm having a senior moment and can't remember his name or I'd tell you who I know of that hiked with a cat.........come on, somebody tell bekki who hiked with a cat.

LIhikers wrote:

I'm having a senior moment and can't remember his name or I'd tell you who I know of that hiked with a cat.........come on, somebody tell bekki who hiked with a cat.
      Geek and Ziggy. 1990 read post #15

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73003-Cats-on-the-trail

I know about ziggy. That's part of why I wanted to do
      it. And keep a video blog along the way. and if you're referring to me he's a savannah cat so a bit of both, deeply hooded ears and heads a little too small for their body, kinda like a serval. They get big.

LoboSolo wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Geek and Ziggy. 1990 read post #15

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73003-Cats-on-the-trail

Thanks for the back-up LS! gif.004

I am taking heed to advice and finances forced me into holding off a bit longer than planned. Will have 3-4months of time instead of 6. recommendations for a section hike? I would love to hike from harpers ferry to springer. but how would the weather be if I left late April? When would I have to leave to make pace for damascus trail days. (One stop I don't wanna miss) I can do a 10mile day on incline and bouldering in adirondacks, how much faster would snp pass by compared to Georgia?

no way with a late april start you will make the 550 miles from harpers ferry to damascus by may 16.

laurie potteiger, former thru hiker and current atc information services manager who meets as many thru hikers every year as anyone, has stated that many hikers who go harpers ferry sobo to springer as part of an "alternative" thru hike are not happy with this decision. weather and loneliness are the reasons given. i do not know if starting in mid-late april would still make these concerns valid.
      2,000 miler

you're right idk why I couldn't find the correct mileage earlier for some reason I felt like it was more like 300 miles. yea I would need to either hike 24 miles a day with no zero or leave no later than the 9th of April. And I'm not too sure weather would be decent then. Hmm I wonder if starting in may and scraping trail days might be a better option. Yes easier to get into the trail but I'd have super muggy days in Georgia wouldn't I? What is your recommendation for a 3 month section? I plan on hiking the other half next year. If I start later this year I can try and complete next year within the 24 months be in better shape.