Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Stansport Scout Tent - Winter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• With its triangular cross section there won't be much room for 2 people.
      If you use a winter sleeping bags with a low temperature rating, that takes up a lot of space, I doubt you'd want that tent.
      Now if you're planning to use it for just yourself it wouldn't be as crowded. Plus the height is kinda low, you might not be able to sit up in it.
      Then there's always the issue of trying to get tent stakes into frozen ground.
    • It's just for myself. I am trying to find something not too expensive but also durable and practical. I would like lightweight but I don't want a lightweight piece of junk. There's "recommended" $800 winter 1 person tents. Alternatively I am considering this one here. Anyone ever used it? It says "okay for warm winter use." Is this to say it's a hyped up summer tent or are they just putting that there as a disclaimer to communicate it's not going to be warm without sleeping bags? Any tent can be used in Florida or Puerto Rico in the winter.

geertop.com/collections/family…son-4-season-camping-tent
    • If you're just doing an overnight, you could probably get away with almost anything. But if you're serious about winter camping, gear is an investment more than an expense.Cheap is rarely durable. A good 4 season tent should be free standing, and give you ample room for you to sit up, get dressed, and have most, if not all of your gear inside the tent.You spend a lot more time in your tent when it's cold.They generally weigh more. Minimally, it'll cost you a few hundred dollars.
      its all good
    • I think the first thing to know would be how and when the tent is to be used. When you say "winter" that doesn't really narrow it down. Are you talking about a Maine winter or a Florida winter ? Do you expect to use it in snow and single digit temperatures? Do you want a free standing tent or are you OK with maybe not being able to get tent stakes into frozen ground ? How often do you expect to use the tent ? Will the tent be for car camping or backpacking? While price is important there's more to consider before the price . Just my 2 cents.

What's your experience level with winter camping? If you are anywhere near the NY area know that there's a group of us that go out together usually around MLK or GHD weekend. Check the threads for the info on upcoming weekends and join us if you can. It's a great way to get winter. Experience in the company of others.
    • Hikeallover,

A true winter/ expedition style tent is going to be expensive.
      I have gotten by with three-season tents in the winter by choosing the timing of my winter camping carefully. I would not want to be stuck in a blizzard far from civilization in one, but it has worked nicely for short hikes on a nice winter's weekend. If you really want something that will stand up to winter weather, you are going to have to pay for it.

For an inexpensive three-season tent I've had good luck with the REI branded tents. If you wait long enough you can eventually find some discounted in REI's 'Bargain Basement.'

BTW, I hope you saw LI Hikers post about the International Mountain Equipment store in North Conway. I did not know about their consignment shop, but you can bet I'm gonna check it out next time I am up there. That Feathered Friends Winter sleeping bag sounds like a great find!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

Are you talking about a Maine winter or a Florida winter ? Do you expect to use it in snow and single digit temperatures? Do you want a free standing tent or are you OK with maybe not being able to get tent stakes into frozen ground ? How often do you expect to use the tent ? Will the tent be for car camping or backpacking?

What's your experience level with winter camping? If you are anywhere near the NY area know that there's a group of us that go out together usually around MLK or GHD weekend. Check the threads for the info on upcoming weekends and join us if you can. It's a great way to get winter. Experience in the company of others.

I haven’t had much experience winter camping. I’ve done plenty of winter day hiking and I have worked outside in very cold weather in New England. I don’t live in NY. Too bad. There’s not a lot of groups.

I’m mainly looking for something that would be good for staying overnight while backpacking and would be sufficient to sleep in single digit temperatures on snow. Sure it’s good to spend money for quality stuff but it seems crazy to spend more than what I pay for rent on a tent that will be used for fun a few times per year. A couple hundred $ is OK for me even though that’s more than I expected but a lot of the ones online are $600 to $800.

The post was edited 1 time, last by hikallover ().

• The Skyscape Scout by Six Moon Designs is an affordable tent by a reputable company. It's what I started with before moving up to something better. It is a trekking pole tent, which means you can use trekking pole to support it, and it has to be steaked out in the corners. You can get tent poles if you don't use trekking poles.
    • odd man out wrote:

The Skyscape Scout by Six Moon Designs is an affordable tent by a reputable company. It's what I started with before moving up to something better. It is a trekking pole tent, which means you can use trekking pole to support it, and it has to be steaked out in the corners. You can get tent poles if you don't use trekking poles.
      If it's not too much of a thread drift, can you tell me why you moved on? I've eyed the Skyscapes (scout, trekker) for years and am finally coming to a point of replacing my 1P backpacking tent. It seemed to me that the ventilation in those (and I live in the southeast) would be vastly superior to something like the Lunar Solo, but the Lunar Solo seems to be much more popular. Perhaps that's because it's lighter, packs up smaller (esp. since it lacks a cross-bar), and can be pitched with just one pole. And I suppose if you're hiking all day, you may not need cross-breezes. But IDK, I have been in WNC in September when it was too hot to be in a hammock - because solid fabric was on either side of my face! So the Skyscape's big mesh on both long sides seems a huge advantage for summertime and then some.

Any thoughts on those observations? What did you move to? I also find the X-Mid 1P pretty attractive, but would rather buy one after Dan's deal with its current distributor ends.
    • I had the Trekker (sil nylon version). What i did not like. I didn't like the flat single wall panel at the foot. This makes it partially single wall and that panel tended to droop onto my feet, especially on the silnon version that tends to sag when it gets damp. Also i found the bathtub floor a bit shallow and the sides sagged so i was not confident it would stay dry inba heavy rain (although that never happened to me). Also the door didn't stay open well, and mine only had one door so one vestibule was not useful. I got this tent 9 years ago so i do not know if current models have addressed any of these issues.

I replace it with a Tarptent Notch. I liked that tent a lot and used it many years. My only complaint about the Notch is the sagging Silnylon (always an issue with that fabric) and the coffin-like interior (which isn't a big deal for me as I'm pretty much only in my tent for sleeping).

Last uear i switched to the XMid1Pv2. I'm not sure why the objection to his vendor. They worked fine for me. I was hesitant to seitch as i liked the notch, but the XMid feels a bit roomier inside and is sil poly which performs a bit better than sil nylon. Plus Gear Aquisition Syndrome makes ot hart to redist the coolest, hippest new thing on the block.

"Too much thread drift"?? That's funny. Thread drift is encouraged here. For example, have you ever backpacked in either world's only two doubly landlicked countries?
    • odd man out wrote:

I had the Trekker (sil nylon version). What i did not like. ...

Last uear i switched to the XMid1Pv2. I'm not sure why the objection to his vendor. They worked fine for me. I was hesitant to seitch as i liked the notch, but the XMid feels a bit roomier inside and is sil poly which performs a bit better than sil nylon. Plus Gear Aquisition Syndrome makes ot hart to redist the coolest, hippest new thing on the block.
      Thanks for the food for thought on the Trekker and Tarptent.

to clarify my thoughts on the vendor ... they may be great, IDK. But it's made very clear that the sole warrantor of the X-mid tent is Kaviso, not Durston (not talking about the X-Mid Pro, here, just the regular one). My understanding is that their distributorship deal is ending soon (but unspecified). If so, I'm not keen on being one of the last ones to order an X-Mid through them. I do not know how they'll be able to handle any potential issues. These tents sell out very quickly so I doubt they'll have any spares to send out if needed. Maybe they do repair work, IDK. Granted, with the reputation of Dan's tents, I probably wouldn't need to call upon the warranty, but on the off chance I did, I just don't see what they'll be able to do. Note too that they are the sole arbiter of whether something qualifies. I suppose that's always the case, but in a situation where the warrantor no longer has a relationship with the company whose products they're warranty-ing, and if the product they're warranty-ing is sold out ... ... well, doesn't sound good to me. I'll wait for things to settle out.