Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mount Washington Gear Rental

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mount Washington Gear Rental

Planning to do a 3 day hike up Mt Washington this month. (Stay in cabin night before and after summit). For items I don't always need like heavy duty crampons, ice axe, mountaineering boots (I have good hiking boots for summer and then Sorels that don't work with the heavy crampons) climbing helmet, gaiters, I find that IME's price for 3 days is about 75% or more of what I could buy all the stuff for new/used on Ebay. Is there another rental outlet or a swap that takes donations?

Thanks
    • There is also an EMS in North Conway, although it is a small store so I would think their selection of rentals would be small. Still, worth giving them a call.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Yes it seems we have it not so good with rental prices on the east coast. For example before posting this I looked as some of the places members here have posted and found that they would charge $45-60 for a set of mountaineering crampons. On the west coast there's sagetosummit.com and thefifthseason.com, where one can rent for 3 days at $28-30? Is this really the case that expensive California has good deals and we have prices where you are almost buying the stuff if you want a 3 day rental?