Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Repurposed Baseball Wind Shirt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Repurposed Baseball Wind Shirt

The day before my last hike in the Smokies, I reviewed the weather forecast and decided that some type of lightweight shell might be a good idea. Something breathable that could decrease convective heat loss. My first thought was a fleece vest, but I only have one and it's too nice for trail use. Then I looked in my closet and found another option.

Years ago, I purchased a Mizuno wind shirt that is designed for batting practice. Loose-fitting, back vents, windproof (at least wind-resistant) and possibly water-resistant as well. I used in for early season golfing before I got a more stylish replacement. $35 on Amazon.com.

Turns out that is is a perfect piece of hiking gear for cool and damp conditions. Better ventilation than my rain jacket, enough of a barrier to heat loss, and fairly water-resistant to boot. It has now earned a spot in my hiking clothing bin.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I use a wind jacket. I have a Patagonia Houdini Hooded WInd Jacket that I have been very happy with. Very light weight, stops the wind, but breaths. OK to use in a light mist. I have had this one for several years now, and it has held up fine.

For wind pants I used the Patagonia Houdini Wind Pants. Super light weight and breathable again, but not very durable. I have had to replace these several times. This I have been willing to do it because I liked the feeling of hiking without pants, even though I was wearing pants. Now I have had to replaced them with the latest version of these pants, and they are terrible. Much heavier, less breathable. material has a rubbery feel that I despise. I suppose they did all this to address the durability problems, but I want my old pants back

Anyone find a brand that matches the old Houdini Wind pants?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I was wearing mine over a long-sleeve wicking shirt. Got warm? Pull up the sleeves. Got cool? Pull down the sleeves. Got cold? Put on the rain jacket.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I was wearing mine over a long-sleeve wicking shirt. Got warm? Pull up the sleeves. Got cool? Pull down the sleeves. Got cold? Put on the rain jacket.
      Like this, for me, flexibility is the key. That's why I always go for zipped fleece and such, not pullovers. Pullovers are all or nothing, with a zipper I can dial in the warmth I need.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier