Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AT, FarOut App and the Offline Map Option

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AT, FarOut App and the Offline Map Option

FarOut app, offline Map options, which is most used? 1
        OpenTopoMap.org Topo (0) 0%
        USGS National Map (1) 100%
        USGS Satellite (0) 0%
      I have the FarOut app (was Guthooks) on my smart phone. There are three map options to download for "Offline Map Options". All three may be downloaded and switched to when Offline. But they can add up to a bit of space if you'd downloaded more than one for each section of trail.

I'm wondering which people have found to be the most useful? See the Poll.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • My wife and I use paper maps when we hike. We've come across so many people with problems with their electronic devices that needed info that I've decided that a map and compass are still the most reliable way to navigate. Sure, we give up all the ancillary info the apps provide but we've managed OK so far
    • LIhikers wrote:

My wife and I use paper maps when we hike. We've come across so many people with problems with their electronic devices that needed info that I've decided that a map and compass are still the most reliable way to navigate. Sure, we give up all the ancillary info the apps provide but we've managed OK so far
      Can't say it any better than this.
      2,000 miler
    • I plan on having the AWOL guide, which is elevations, miles to next features, maps of towns, descriptions of features. I have the Eagle Rock Loop on the APP and downloaded all three maps. I've hike ERL three times, with waterproof maps. I hope to hike it again this fall and can toggle between the three maps.
      However doing further internet research, I think the USGS National Map for each AT section is the way to go.
    • The only times I've had navigation problems were on a small scale where GPS would not have helped

On Sinking Creek Ridge, AT, central VA, I found the trail just dissappeared into the woods. So I backtrack about 100 yards to the last blaze, try again, and I end up at the same dead end. From the map I know the trail follows the ridge which here is all of 50 ft wide. I backtrack again and then see the blaze I missed directing me between a narrow gap in the rocks to the right side of the ridge. The fact the obvious dead end use trail went to the left side of the ridge tells me I was not the first one to miss this blaze (some consolation).

A similar situation happened on the Tonto trail going through Monument Canyon in the Grand Canyon. The trail entered a dry creek bed but it was not obvious where it climbed up the other side. I walked up and down the creek bed until I found the exit. A couple days later I ran into a ranger and mentioned this. She said they have had a few people get lost down there.

In both cases i knew exactly where I was and where the trail went, and that the trail was only a few yards away, but exactly where it was took a few minutes to find.
    • I hiked the Arkansas Buckeye Trail some years ago with maps and a guy who has done a lot of trails (AT, twice). We had the water proof maps. Buckeye is a ridge trail, which after some miles turns south at a cairn to drop into a valley and join the Caney Creek trail. Both are in a federal designated "Wilderness" area, meaning no blazes. After about two miles, we found the trail got very difficult to follow. Being a ridge trail with zero trees, great visibility but with all the rocks, we couldn't tell if we were on a trail, animal track or what. My buddy had actually done the trail before, so that was concerning that we were not sure where we were. At one point, I continued on one track and he on another, keeping in voice contact. We had one false start where we thought a small pile of rocks was the cairn. Probably someone screwing around. Once we finally found the actual cairn, it was very obvious. We dropped to Caney Creek and set up camp. Next day we did the Caney trail out and back. Some years later a person from here in Dallas/Ft Worth did the buckeye, with not enough gear, only like 1 day of his insulin and NO map! These trails are not on an App either. Without a map, he'd correctly just turned south but then convinced himself that the north/south drainage, WAS the creek (no, creek runs east west and flows). With nothing to assist him, he stayed lost a few days and it made the news. He did get credit in my thoughts for at least doing the right thing. Rationed his food, dug into the leaves to keep warm and waited for rescue. And he'd told people were he would generally be. he didn't have a SPOT or Garmin either but did get a text off while he was still on the ridge with a signal.
      My wife is glad I carry the Garmin.
      Also shows, take a map, get very familiar with the place you are planning to go.

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• I've got the app recently, but haven't really used it yet, so this is a good question for me to hear conversation around. I typically use the paper maps (and a pic of the map on my phone so I can zoom in on it :) ).

Somewhat off topic, but one app that is VERY handy and just great in general for tracking my adventures is called "Fog of World" (link). It's not about hiking maps or specific hike data. It's just a world map covered in "fog" and everywhere you go, it clears the fog. I basically have a world map showing all of my journeys since I downloaded it ages ago. It can also serve as a very basic visual idea of where you are / how far you have to go without inundating you with data that you probably don't need. I think it's avail for Android. Be warned, it can be a battery hog on older phones.