Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the FHT 2022

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro on the FHT 2022

After considering the BMT, I decided to do the Foothills Trail next week. Too much going on to take three straight weeks off, and did not want to do it half way and then finish it a few weeks later, so maybe BMT next year. Still planning Colorado Trail starting on June 30. May also try to do Shenandoah part of AT in mid June as another tune up hike if it works out.

After graduation Saturday will drive to Franklin, NC. After going to church Sunday morning and eating lunch will have my sister drop me off at Oconne State Park and try to get up to 8 miles in. Then planning to complete it at Table Rock State Rock by Saturday. Since I will be carrying at least six days food, I am going West to East to start with the more level part and move on to the higher climbs as I eat my food down.

From what I have seen in videos looks likes lots of waterfalls, bridges, wooden steps, and plenty of campsites. Any advice about the Foothills Trail from your actual experience is greatly appreciated. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Nice! It’s a great trail.

My only tip…

the campsites along the Chatooga River (section 11a-12 I think) are great but they’re popular and might be full depending on when you’re hiking. Make sure you have enough steam to continue to Burrell’s Ford in case you can’t find a site.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • New

Traffic Jam wrote:

My only tip…

the campsites along the Chatooga River (section 11a-12 I think) are great but they’re popular and might be full depending on when you’re hiking. Make sure you have enough steam to continue to Burrell’s Ford in case you can’t find a site.
      How bout that -- I've hiked part of this trail and didn't even know it. We did a 2 day, 1 night hike on the Chatooga River Trail. When we got the tents set up we went trout fishing and I caught a trout on the first cast. This is going to be great I thought; but that was the only fish I caught. I recall that for a "river trail" it sure spent a lot of time away from the water but then again I imagine it's tough to build a trail that's going to hug the water.
      2,000 miler
    • New

max.patch wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

My only tip…

How bout that -- I've hiked part of this trail and didn't even know it. We did a 2 day, 1 night hike on the Chatooga River Trail. When we got the tents set up we went trout fishing and I caught a trout on the first cast. This is going to be great I thought; but that was the only fish I caught. I recall that for a "river trail" it sure spent a lot of time away from the water but then again I imagine it's tough to build a trail that's going to hug the water.
      Yeah, it could have been a fluke. I was hiking towards oconee and decided to stop at B Ford. The next day I thought, it was a good thing I stopped, all the campsites along the river are taken! There were some sweet spots.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • New

72.6 miles down and only 3.6 to finish. Since I have 5G level service I thought I would share the view at Bald Knob where I am taking a break. :)
      Images
      • 20220514_104438.jpg

200.62 kB, 800×600, viewed 2 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General