Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

I was thinking (dangerous, I know)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I was thinking (dangerous, I know)

I saw this upcoming NatGeo special profiled on the news this AM. It features the rock climber from the documentary Free Solo.

But it got me thinking. People like this are lauded on social media as inspiring, role models, adventurers to be admired, etc... But then I constantly see comments that I (or anyone) who goes backpacking solo by are reckless, irresponsible, selfish, and needlessly putting their lives in danger. I often hear it said you should never backpack solo. Why the hypocrisy? :S
    • It's all relative. If the Free Solo guy plunged to his death on El Cap, he would have been painted as reckless. But since he pulled it off, he was admired.

The folks that frequent this site can go out on solo hikes and return without incident. We don't make the news. The idjits that have no outdoor skills and bite off more than they can chew - they make the news and cause our casual friends, co-workers, etc. to say that we shouldn't hike solo.

Hypocrisy makes the world go round.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard