Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATQOTD

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

Here's a practice question.

What is the elevation of the Stratton Pond Shelter?

2620 ft
      2621 ft
      2622 ft
      2623 ft
      2624 ft
      2625 ft
      2626 ft
      2627 ft
      2628 ft
      2629 ft

Display Spoiler
      I hate these kinds of questions finger.gif

These are the kind of question after missing a time or two, if I can not remember the right answer, I just sit out (sort of like a silent protest).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

I think today's question "When does Baxter CLOSE trails up Big-K" is incorrect.
      Am I wrong that the trails COULD close based on Ranger decisions. I've seen social media posts by Baxter in the winter, to paraphrase "Due to ice and winter conditions, Trail X, Y and Z are closed. Trails D, E and F are open. Snowmobile Trail E is also closed due to obstructions but will reopen next Monday". And the park closes for OVER NIGHT camping no later than 10/15 of every year, or earlier at the Rangers discretion. But the Park and Big-K don't simply "close".
      Am I wrong? Enlighten me.

I almost clicked what I KNEW they were getting at, but didn't. Missed it.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Apr 11, 2024 ⛺
      My answer today was – INCORRECT
      Total questions answered – 765
      Total answers correct – 708
      Percentage answers correct – 93%
      Longest correct streak – 61
      hykeroo.com/atqotd #hykerooatqotd
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • New

I think the question should be worded "When does overnight camping season typically end. If I understand correctly, you can climb Katahdin in the winter (unless the trails are closed for other reasons) as long as you can get in and out of the park in a single day. You have to be a beast to do that. though.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

I think the question should be worded "When does overnight camping season typically end. If I understand correctly, you can climb Katahdin in the winter (unless the trails are closed for other reasons) as long as you can get in and out of the park in a single day. You have to be a beast to do that. though.
      That is also my understanding.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • New

rhjanes wrote:

Throwing darts occasionally works....one was easy to discount.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Apr 12, 2024 ⛺
      My answer today was – CORRECT
      Total questions answered – 766
      Total answers correct – 709
      Percentage answers correct – 93%
      Longest correct streak – 61
      hykeroo.com/atqotd #hykerooatqotd
      Been reading a lot of AT history and she is quite impressive. She helped Myron Avery be able to work two fulltime jobs. But then again he died at 52, so may that wasn't such a great idea. ?(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Funny side note to today's question. Apparently we have no idea what the tribe we claim to get the name "Appalachian" from was actually called.

IIRC the account I read, the name only survived in a single document written in Spanish and was most likely provided by a different tribe long after the actual "Appalachian" tribe had died out. Being a translation of another dated translation and it's entirely likely is sounds bears little resemblance to the name the original would have called themselves.
      Images
      • 0C80E0F0-AA9E-49AD-9516-6F0D58B9B378.jpeg

108.69 kB, 460×600, viewed 3 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • New

Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

Funny side note to today's question. Apparently we have no idea what the tribe we claim to get the name "Appalachian" from was actually called.

IIRC the account I read, the name only survived in a single document written in Spanish and was most likely provided by a different tribe long after the actual "Appalachian" tribe had died out. Being a translation of another dated translation and it's entirely likely is sounds bears little resemblance to the name the original would have called themselves.
      thanks. I got this on correctvas I heard the conventional answer. Not surprised to hear reality may be mor complicated.