Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Compass thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Compass thread

Recently I came across a site that was of interest to me in that I just love Compasses...always have. Perhaps this thread can evolve into a "Compass users guide" and or article. I have many sites book marked with how to videos...but for now...lets start here.

The Compass museum

http://www.compassmuseum.com/diverstext/history.htm
    • The Compass thread

Books on Navigation and Compasses

Be an expert with Map and Compass~Bjorn Kjellstrom
      a title I have had on my shelf for many years, has a lot on Orienteering as well and nuts and bolts Navigation...it's what I would call the Bible of Map and compass. Also has a pull out map in the back with exercises in map reading and navigation.

The Riddle of the Compass~Amir Aczel

a history of the Compass, a very good book, also on my shelf for many years.

Wilderness Navigation~Bob Burns & Mike Burns The Mountaineers Books press
      a book new to me, though very thorough and with a section on GPS

Map Reading and Navigation
      Department of the Army
      FM 3-25.26

an in depth book, paid for by your tax dollars
      PDF

https://archive.org/details/milmanual-fm-3-25.26-map-reading-and-land-navigation
    • The Compass thread

rocksNsocks wrote:

a title I have had on my shelf for many years

An excellent read.

When you can find them- I always recommend the Boy Scout Orienteering Merit Badge Book- sounds silly but cheap book, easy read, and obviously geared for beginners. Good way to get going without getting bogged down too much before you geek out too much on the real books.
    • The Compass thread

Just Bill wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

An excellent read.

When you can find them- I always recommend the Boy Scout Orienteering Merit Badge Book- sounds silly but cheap book, easy read, and obviously geared for beginners. Good way to get going without getting bogged down too much before you geek out too much on the real books.
      Bill I could not agree more, and for the very reasons you mention. Which is also why I like the Silva 1,2,3 system it's easy and everyone can do it...all the other stuff is just "fun to knows".golden guides for kids have been a long time friend to me, packed full of info, cheap...and lots of pictures, I like pictures, not everyone can learn by reading.

The Silva System: Easy as 1-2-3

system 1

Place your compass on the area map with the Base Plate edge connecting where you are with where you want to go.

system 2
      Set the compass heading by turning the compass Dial until the “N” aligns with Magnetic North (MN) on the map.

system 3
      Remove the compass from the map and hold it level in front of you with the Direction of Travel Arrow pointing straight ahead. Turn your body until the red end of the Needle is directly over the Orienting Arrow, pointing to the “N” on the dial. The Direction of Travel Arrow now points precisely to your destination. Look up, sight on a landmark and walk to it. Repeat this procedure until you reach your destination.
    • The Compass thread

Just Bill wrote:

Silva is nice- but even better-
      Step one- cut a hole in the box....
      http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dick+in+a+box%2c+justin+timberlack&qpvt=dick+in+a+box%2c+justin+timberlack&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=4F079D8774CE50E2FE6F4F079D8774CE50E2FE6F
      Ha ha, yep my Compass points North too. when gravity's not pullin on it. gif.004
    • The Compass thread

You should see the compass they wanted us to get to do AT Corridor Boundary monitoring. It went from 0 to 90 four times around the face of the compass, talk about going in circles! But to be fair it wasn't for walking with, it was for use with the survey maps to find the various surveying monuments. It's easy enough to do with a regular compass and some simple math, so I never bought one.
    • The Compass thread

LIhikers wrote:

You should see the compass they wanted us to get to do AT Corridor Boundary monitoring. It went from 0 to 90 four times around the face of the compass, talk about going in circles! But to be fair it wasn't for walking with, it was for use with the survey maps to find the various surveying monuments. It's easy enough to do with a regular compass and some simple math, so I never bought one.

Engineer's (surveyors) compass if I recall correctly.
    • The Compass thread

I have had 2 Suunto mirror compasses in 35 years. The first one, after a few years, I took it out and the fluid was somehow gone. Suunto replaced it no problem. They replaced it with the latest update. It is now at least 20 years old....pointing just fine. After a trip once I was unpacking and found the pocket that contained my compass and my bottle of 85% deet had merged into one slimey softish plastic mess. I pulled the lanyard away from the compass body, where its imprint still lays, and washed it down. After a while the plastic hardened back to no fingerprints....and we have followed it to this day! :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • The Compass thread

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

This reminds me of a saying I saw somewhere that goes something like "...but we really weren't lost, we just didn't know where we were at the time..."

The saying I remember is if you don't know exactly where you are and how to get there, you are already lost before you start.

That's easy. I'm right here, and I get here by doing nothing.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • The Compass thread

I'm never really lost...just temporarily misplaced.

Coach, I had a compass in my tackle box that a package of pork rind froggs had spilled onto it, or maybe it was rubber worms, it was somethin...same thing, melted it and got all over everything. unfortunately (and I'm sorry to have to say this publicly, but I was once young and very dumb) but 'it's at the bottom of the pond. gif.010
    • The Compass thread

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Quite a few years ago a real lensatic marines compass with a large amount of promethium, came up for sale at $300 it looked really good... glad I did not have the money for it.
      yep, so not worth the extra money, exposure, it's controlled, and a very short half life. My Phosphorescent Cammenga works just fine for me.
    • The Compass thread

Just Bill wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

An excellent read.

And in fact, you can. Here's a cheap copy if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0839533853/sr=1-1/qid=1392717433/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1392717433&seller=&sr=1-1
    • The Compass thread

I've been reading through the info everyone provided...thanks! I still don't understand much but want to buy a compass. I'm looking at several Brunton's...the O.S.S. 20B, 30B, and 40B. The 40 B is probably more advanced than I need but it has a 1" resolution and the others are 2". Does that matter for basic navigating? They're pretty cheap but I still don't want to waste my money so any thoughts?

http://www.brunton.com/products/brunton-oss-20b

http://www.brunton.com/products/brunton-oss-30b

http://www.brunton.com/collections/navigation/products/brunton-oss-40b
      Lost in the right direction.
    • The Compass thread

CoachLou wrote:

TJ, you ONLY need a good compass that points north and has an adjustable dial for Magnetic declination

Agreed.
      Most compass use with maps is determining things like which is the most northerly of a choice of tracks etc.
      The most important thing when using maps and compass is being able to interpret what is shown on the map when looking at the terrain you are in.

On a side note, magnetic declination is negligible around here but significant in North America. :lol:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • The Compass thread

OzJacko wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TJ, you ONLY need a good compass that points north and has an adjustable dial for Magnetic declination

Agreed.
      Most compass use with maps is determining things like which is the most northerly of a choice of tracks etc.
      The most important thing when using maps and compass is being able to interpret what is shown on the map when looking at the terrain you are in.

On a side note, magnetic declination is negligible around here but significant in North America. :lol:

What he said. With good map reading skills and situation awareness, you often don't pull out the compass at all. You identify capturing features/handrails, approach points and so on... and let the terrain guide you to where you want to go.
    • Re:Re: The Compass thread

AnotherKevin wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Agreed.

What he said. With good map reading skills and situation awareness, you often don't pull out the compass at all. You identify capturing features/handrails, approach points and so on... and let the terrain guide you to where you want to go.

Agree. It had been so long since I used my compass I forgot if the red or white part pointed north. 99% of the time you just know where north generally is based on the sun and approximate time of day.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • The Compass thread

Another quick followup: Where the compass becomes important is when you're in heavy fog above timberline, or pushing through dense brush, or otherwise can't see where you're going at all. Sometimes you just have to try to hold a bearing and hope for the best. You hope to avoid those situations.
    • The Compass thread

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll get a cheap one that has an adjustable declination.

A less expensive one! Acheap one will break at the absolute wrong time. I just mean that for hiking in the deep dark wilderness of the AT you do not need a $300 device that $50 -$85 will suite you well. I dare say you will not find a 'cheap' compass that adjusts declination anywho!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • The Compass thread

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll get a cheap one that has an adjustable declination.

A less expensive one! Acheap one will break at the absolute wrong time. I just mean that for hiking in the deep dark wilderness of the AT you do not need a $300 device that $50 -$85 will suite you well. I dare say you will not find a 'cheap' compass that adjusts declination anywho!

I was looking at this page. It lists some that are adjustable and there are some cheap ones. I'm confused.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/comwitaddec.html
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:The Compass thread

I never use a compass and have always felt I have a pretty good "sense of direction".
      UNTIL I WENT TO THE AT!
      About a month or two in I realised that I was confused as the sun was wrong for me.
      All my life the sun has traversed across the northern half of the sky's hemisphere.
      Over there it traverses the southern half.
      Never realised how much the subconscious is aware of stuff like that.
      You don't get lost on the AT but I did feel "wrong" often.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Re:Re: Re:The Compass thread

OzJacko wrote:

I never use a compass and have always felt I have a pretty good "sense of direction".
      UNTIL I WENT TO THE AT!
      About a month or two in I realised that I was confused as the sun was wrong for me.
      All my life the sun has traversed across the northern half of the sky's hemisphere.

Never thought of that
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:The Compass thread

OzJacko wrote:

UNTIL I WENT TO THE AT!

you need a metric compass.red points south.
      its all good