Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Food intake on the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Food intake on the AT

While searching for some sort of average food weight on the AT, I've found this article:

Evans Prater wrote:

You should eat as much as possible, whenever possible. Yep, you heard it. I’ve mentioned in a few other posts that rapid weight loss while performing athletic activity is known amongst the fitness community as basically getting on your knees and pleading for an injury. In a case like long distance hiking, where the body gets very little rest and is constantly being abused, you are already extremely prone to injury. Do not add to your susceptibility.
      I'm already fat. Wouldn't it be better if I control my portions a bit? What's your take on food intake on the trail?
    • I think that after 2 or 3 weeks you'll give no more consideration to limiting your food intake.

Food is fuel. Your body will want it and you'll be happy to comply.

Assuming you hike "normal" thru hiker miles, I think you'll find that you'll lose fat despite eating as much as you want.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I think that after 2 or 3 weeks you'll give no more consideration to limiting your food intake.

Assuming you hike "normal" thru hiker miles, I think you'll find that you'll lose fat despite eating as much as you want.
      Thank you max.patch. I think I'm overthinking this.
    • What I've researched is that the first three weeks, your body is adjusting. Don't aim for high miles. 8 to 10 miles a day. Keep hydrated. Don't be surprised if you don't feel hungry those weeks. Once hiker hunger hits (3 to 4 weeks) you will be hungry all the time on the trail. But on the trail, you won't be able to carry enough and will have to ration food while hiking. So yes, in town you will be eating a lot to try and replenish.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • fastjack wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I think that after 2 or 3 weeks you'll give no more consideration to limiting your food intake.

The key will be making the adjustment back to normal portions post hike.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

fastjack wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The key will be making the adjustment back to normal portions post hike.
      That's a true statement.

If you maintain the same caloric intake after your hike as you did during your hike you're going to gain weight.

Don't ask me how I know. :)
      2,000 miler
    • For the first few weeks, your appetite won't be as hearty as you think.After the first month, you'll always be hungry, as your body will be running a calorie deficit, burning upwards of 6k calories/day.
      Instead of focusing on how much, focus on what you're putting in your body. It needs a good mix of fat and protein, and carbs during the day.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

For the first few weeks, your appetite won't be as hearty as you think.After the first month, you'll always be hungry, as your body will be running a calorie deficit, burning upwards of 6k calories/day.
      Instead of focusing on how much, focus on what you're putting in your body. It needs a good mix of fat and protein, and carbs during the day.
      Yes. Too often I see people apply conventional wisdom about conventional diets to trail nutrition. The problem is a lot of conventional "wisdom" is misguided and trail nutrition is anything but conventional. It seems half of the people think carbs are bad and half think fats are bad. As a result, you see tons of advice on how to boost protein (the only macronutrient left). But proteins are not a great energy source, in fact when taken to the extreme, if you eat only protein you die of starvation, even if you eat all you can (look up Rabbit Starvation). I wish I had a nickle for every time I head a so-called nutritionist say to add protein for an energy boost. Sure, if you are trying to lose weight, protein-rich diets are effective (because they are inefficient), and more often than not, nutrition advice centers around those who are trying to lose weigh. But long-term hikers are in the exact opposite situation, so carbs and fats become your friend, not your enemy. Hikerboy ends with the best advice ever. Eat a balanced diet and everything else will take care of itself.