Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Puffy Shout Out

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Puffy Shout Out

Before Thanksgiving I got an REI Magma 850 Down Hoodie 2.0. It's normaly $219 but it was on a pre-black Friday sale plus I had a good coupon, plus I'll get a member's rebate so I got it for about 1/2 price. I wanted to upgrade my kit for 3 season treks. Currently my winter coat is heavy canvas and flannel ( not suitable for hiking). I've been wearing it for a couple of months and come to really like it. It's not an expedition parka bit have fount it to be perfectly adequate for trips around town when it's in the 20s. I wasn't expecting it would replace my winter coat but I may get through the whole season with it. Unlike other affordable puffies, this one is made with high end materials. It also has a number of nice design features, such as deep pocket (no lost gloves), and hood that adjusts in the back.

rei.com/product/157179/rei-co-…a-850-down-hoodie-20-mens.
    • odd man out wrote:

Before Thanksgiving I got an REI Magma 850 Down Hoodie 2.0. It's normaly $219 but it was on a pre-black Friday sale plus I had a good coupon, plus I'll get a member's rebate so I got it for about 1/2 price. I wanted to upgrade my kit for 3 season treks. Currently my winter coat is heavy canvas and flannel ( not suitable for hiking). I've been wearing it for a couple of months and come to really like it. It's not an expedition parka bit have fount it to be perfectly adequate for trips around town when it's in the 20s. I wasn't expecting it would replace my winter coat but I may get through the whole season with it. Unlike other affordable puffies, this one is made with high end materials. It also has a number of nice design features, such as deep pocket (no lost gloves), and hood that adjusts in the back.

rei.com/product/157179/rei-co-…a-850-down-hoodie-20-mens.
      Was looking at one at the REI in Houston yesterday. If I do ever get one it will probably be like you describe sale plus discount coupon.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • BTW, i see this jacket is on sale again.

However I'm now thinking of expanding my cold weather gear in case i go somewhere that could have some yucky weather. I was looking at the EE Torid Jacket with Apex insulation. Anyone know how this might compare to the REI Magma wrt warmth? It is substantially lighter.
    • odd man out wrote:

BTW, i see this jacket is on sale again.

However I'm now thinking of expanding my cold weather gear in case i go somewhere that could have some yucky weather. I was looking at the EE Torid Jacket with Apex insulation. Anyone know how this might compare to the REI Magma wrt warmth? It is substantially lighter.
      I have the torrid jacket and it is pretty warm. I do not know how it would compare to the REI but if I get out to the west end anytime soon and think about it, I'll pop in to the REI and try one on to try and get an idea for you.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I have the torrid jacket and it is pretty warm. I do not know how it would compare to the REI but if I get out to the west end anytime soon and think about it, I'll pop in to the REI and try one on to try and get an idea for you.
      i was worried the Torrid may not be very warm as it is only 8.5 oz vs 13.75 for the Magma. It's described as a 3 season garment. It has the advantage of not having sewn through baffles. I might like a 3+ season jacket, that is, not a winter expedition weight, but one that would get me through occasional winter temps, if not comfortably, at least not dying. Perhaps my Magma, layered with a fleece a d basayers would be up to that. I'm not sure.

The post was edited 2 times, last by odd man out ().

• Years ago, in the middle of summer, I was browsing the Patagonia web site. Turns out they had their Down Sweater on a deep discount, a fraction of the usual price. The catch was that at that price they were only available in one size and one color. The size was right for me, and I've gotten used to the color. It's warm for what it is.
    • My expensive Marmot puffy needs replacement (too many small holes leaking down) and I am thinking of going cheap this time with the REI 650.

rei.com/product/154167/rei-co-…et-20-mens?sku=1541670030

Only $69 for the next two days and I have a 20% off coupon I can use to boot.
      I don't have much to lose.

I never hike in my puffy because down and perspiration don't mix. This would be a light weight solution for a little extra warmth around camp, but probably not super warm. I'll sleep under my quilt with the puffy on for sub 20 degree nights.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

My expensive Marmot puffy needs replacement (too many small holes leaking down) and I am thinking of going cheap this time with the REI 650.

rei.com/product/154167/rei-co-…et-20-mens?sku=1541670030

Only $69 for the next two days and I have a 20% off coupon I can use to boot.
      I don't have much to lose.

I never hike in my puffy because down and perspiration don't mix. This would be a light weight solution for a little extra warmth around camp, but probably not super warm. I'll sleep under my quilt with the puffy on for sub 20 degree nights.
      I have had the hoodless one for a few years, and just recently got one with a hood. Use them for weekend hikes around home saving wear and tear on MH Ghostwhisper 2 for the longer hikes.

Gave my MyTrail 700 with a Hood to my son who went to Japan and my hoodless 850 to my wife.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I'll sleep under my quilt with the puffy on for sub 20 degree nights.
      what type of quilt and deg rating?
      OMO, I have a 20 degree quilt set and a 0 degree quilt set. Both these quilt sets are only comfortable (for me) at their lowest range if I have on at least a base layer and the puffy.

The zero degree set is Warbonnet to match my hammock, and that offers the most comfort. I believe one of our MLK hikes went subzero one year, but I cannot claim I was comfortable in that!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

OMO, I have a 20 degree quilt set and a 0 degree quilt set. Both these quilt sets are only comfortable (for me) at their lowest range if I have on at least a base layer and the puffy.
      The zero degree set is Warbonnet to match my hammock, and that offers the most comfort. I believe one of our MLK hikes went subzero one year, but I cannot claim I was comfortable in that!
      thanks. I have 40 deg quilt i got for summer hikes. Im upgrading for 3 season or 3+ season. Trying to decidecwhat temp wuilt to get. I'd rather not get 2 more.
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

i was worried the Torrid may not be very warm as it is only 8.5 oz vs 13.75 for the Magma. It's described as a 3 season garment. It has the advantage of not having sewn through baffles. I might like a 3+ season jacket, that is, not a winter expedition weight, but one that would get me through occasional winter temps, if not comfortably, at least not dying. Perhaps my Magma, layered with a fleece a d basayers would be up to that. I'm not sure.
      I would say it's not a deep winter jacket for the north or high elevation. I've only worn it in camp, hiking here in the winter-SNP-for me usually means base layer +fleece+wind shirt and I'm toasty and will usually have to stop to take off the fleece during the first climb.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference