Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2022

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking Plans 2022

Here it is, part of the fun is planning, What are your hiking plans for 2022?

Of course, like New Years Resolutions, Hiking Plans often fall by the wayside. "Man plans - God laughs." Regardless, the planning is what keeps me going through the long gray Winter.

So, What are your plans?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Grand Canyon. 4 night, 5 days starting Apr 29, unless I die or bail before that due to being old and out of shape.

New Year's resolution is to get into shape for said hike. Goal is to lose 17 lbs (that's 1 lb per week), walk on treadmill every night. Do some calisthenics untill I can do 1 push up.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• LIhikers wrote:

I'm still needing to hike Katahdyn in Maine and Wildcat D in New Hampshire. There's also a possibility that we'll hike the AT south from Harper's Ferry to Springer Mountain but that will depend on a number of factors.
      The Wildcats was the beginning of my AT hike last summer and the Katahdin was the end of it. There is reason they were at the end. :)

I wish you well, and would personally recommend coming back down Abol from Katahdin.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Current plan is Benton MacKaye Trial in May/June and then Collegiate Loop in July/August.

Now if I could gracefully get out of my wife's family reunion in PA in mid-July, I would go for the entire Colorado Trail instead of just the Collegiate Loop. That would make (with BMT) around 8 weeks and nearly 800 miles, which would be awesome. I also have my first two grandchildren due this summer so I will have to see how that goes and impacts things.

During weekends and other time off will plan to complete "original" Ozark Highlands Trail (40 left of 164 miles) and start making a dent in the "new" 100 or so miles.

Of course everything is based upon the assumption of staying healthy. I love my Physical Therapy place, but after getting released a few weeks ago, I prefer not see them for a while. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I haven't made any definite plans yet. A lot depends on our situation at work. Because of a shortage of cars, I may take a longer hike this year.
      Possibilities include the BMT for a 3rd time in the spring(probably April), the Cohos Trail (august?september?) NPT (Oct/Nov).
      AT thru VA (May).
      If our inventory improves, I'll probably postpone the longer trips. I would then do the STS loop in April(3rd attempt), then see about what to do for summer/fall.
      As long as I've got cars to sell, I've been making good money, and need to sock some bucks away for retirement.
      So I probably won't be making any decisions until March.
      Next hike up is our annual MLK hike,(now GHD hike).
      its all good
    • My problem is getting away for more than a week at a time. I just got a new foster kid and leaving more than a week puts too much of a burden on my wife.

My major goal is to finish the PCT California desert sections E (112 miles) and F (86 miles) this year. I might try to do a week in March for one of these, if not, it will have to wait until the summer again. Hitting the desert in the summer has really slowed me down.

I would also like to start sectioning another local (New England) trail that I can do on the occasional weekends I have free. The New England Trail is a possibility, and so is the Cohos Trail. I am open to other suggestions.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Current plan is Benton MacKaye Trial in May/June and then Collegiate Loop in July/August.

Now if I could gracefully get out of my wife's family reunion in PA in mid-July, I would go for the entire Colorado Trail instead of just the Collegiate Loop. That would make (with BMT) around 8 weeks and nearly 800 miles, which would be awesome. I also have my first two grandchildren due this summer so I will have to see how that goes and impacts things.

During weekends and other time off will plan to complete "original" Ozark Highlands Trail (40 left of 164 miles) and start making a dent in the "new" 100 or so miles.

Of course everything is based upon the assumption of staying healthy. I love my Physical Therapy place, but after getting released a few weeks ago, I prefer not see them for a while. :)
      Grandchildren change everything…for the better!

I’m glad you decided on the BMT.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Hiking plans…

My plans are to continue the things that I’ve started, like the Sheltowee Trace Trail.

I’ve also been thinking about filling in the gaps of the AT that I’m missing from GA to Va. I have no desire to section hike the entire AT but would like to finish the region…maybe

I’m also tentatively planning a trip to Maine this summer.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I think I'm going to re-hike Elkwallow to Harper's Ferry in April with my buddy Slingshot. Then in probably July I plan on heading back to New Hampshire to continue my section hike. A lot depends on getting someone to look after my wife while I hike and my knee condition. Going into the orthopedic surgeon this afternoon for my scheduled lube :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Smoking Sox and I are looking to hike from Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap in late April / early May. We'd love to knock off all of our southern miles in one trip but we just don't have the time. This hike will set us up for finishing those miles on top of Max Patch in the next year or two.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, and Max Patch NC to Carter Notch NH