Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Batona trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Batona trail

i think if i am ever to get warned off, tarred and feathered, banned, or whatever it is that seems to happen to all of you regularly, it will be for bringing up the Maprika smart phone ap way too many times. anyway, i made a map of the batona trail, showing the relocations, and posted it to Maprika. it is free and you can use it if you like. i used it on my end to end or whatever you would call it on the Batona.

did i suggest you hike this trail in the winter?
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • Batona trail

1azarus wrote:

i think if i am ever to get warned off, tarred and feathered, banned, or whatever it is that seems to happen to all of you regularly, it will be for bringing up the Maprika smart phone ap way too many times. anyway, i made a map of the batona trail, showing the relocations, and posted it to Maprika. it is free and you can use it if you like. i used it on my end to end or whatever you would call it on the Batona.

did i suggest you hike this trail in the winter?
      You did mention hiking it in the Winter...and I concur (vegetation would be down, less ticks, and normally I'd say less people, but then we didn't see many when we were there first week in June) just trying to get some time to do just that, if only for the day even. Supposed to hike it this Spring with Teacher and Snacktime, but we haven't firmed up any dates yet. Kayak Karl was talking about doing it a few weeks ago, but I haven't heard if he did or not. But yes I'd like to hike the whole thing in snow pulling a pulk and take 5-6 days maybe....maybe more, not sure just how slow that type of hiking would be.

yeah know Laz, I forgot all about that, the map your talking about, I'll look that up. Kayak Karl also uploaded some maps that he generated from his Garmin during a hike, I'll have to look for those as well. my filing system is severely lacking.
    • Batona trail

Laz, I punch in Batona trail but it doesn't seem to be able to find it? hep

found it, guess I had to register...is the map your talking about the same one I posted? that's the only one I'm able to find...my user name is
      first name Rocket
      last name Socks
    • Batona trail

I was supposed to hike with my ladies group for a quick overnight on Saturday, but the trip leader cancelled due to the shitty weather yesterday. I had snowshoes and everything lined up. Kind of bummed, but I can't blame her for cancelling, she made the right decision. If it were just her & I going, we may have gone anyway. We're supposed to go in March. We were just going to do the Mullica River trail to the campsite and then do a loop out the next morning. I'm looking forward to doing it next month. I'd like to do the whole trail before it gets into "bug" season. I'm going to check out your map Laz.

But ... since I didn't hike I got to work on my sewing room ... we are remodeling it and hopefully I'll have everything set up in there in the next week or two. I'll be off the dining room table! For sewing at least ... ;)
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Batona trail

moose717 wrote:

I was supposed to hike with my ladies group for a quick overnight on Saturday, but the trip leader cancelled due to the ****ty weather yesterday. I had snowshoes and everything lined up. Kind of bummed, but I can't blame her for cancelling, she made the right decision. If it were just her & I going, we may have gone anyway. We're supposed to go in March. We were just going to do the Mullica River trail to the campsite and then do a loop out the next morning. I'm looking forward to doing it next month. I'd like to do the whole trail before it gets into "bug" season. I'm going to check out your map Laz.

But ... since I didn't hike I got to work on my sewing room ... we are remodeling it and hopefully I'll have everything set up in there in the next week or two. I'll be off the dining room table! For sewing at least ... ;)

Sorry your trip got cancelled. That stinks. I'm over winter.

I may have some sewing questions for you soon. I have an old pair of bib, ski pants I was thinking about modifying. I haven't decided if they can be sacrificed. I'm thinking about cutting the bib off.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Batona trail

TJ .. that shouldn't be too hard to do... If I were doing it, I'd probably just sew the cut part down into the waistband or if they are high-waisted, I'd put a new waistband in for a more finished look. I'm not a seamstress though. I sew mostly gear and home stuff or easy clothes .. my best item(s) so far are the merino wool mid/heavy weight base layer I made a month or so ago. I purchased the wool from New Zealand and made a great set from an old kwik sew pattern I got off ebay. It was an out of print pattern. I also made a pack cover from some dwr taffeta I "found" in my sewing closet. I think I was going to make a jacket from it. One of my daughter's was a gymnast for 12 years. I used to make her workout leos.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed