Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Doyle Hotel

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Good 'ol Central PA. Kind of miss the local news stories. I will say that I only visited the Doyle twice in the 32 years I lived just 30 minutes to the south. Once during my section hike to the Susquehanna River Bridge and once after finishing a short section from the Susquehanna River to Peters Mountain. I agree with LIhikers that the food was good. But not good enough to make a special trip.

Downtown Duncannon suffers from the fact that Routes 11/15 turn to four lanes at the south end of town and continue in that layout all the way up the river to Selinsgrove. With no downtown shopping district, it's tough to expect any tourists to take the exit and find the Doyle for a burger and a pint. Especially after encountering a passing lane and getting by the camper or truck that has been in front of you for 15 miles.

I'm not sure what kind of payback a full renovation will bring. My guess is that the clientele will still be locals and hikers. And neither is known for lots of free cash flow.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • The gentleman from NH over at TOS gave a disappointing review of the renovated Doyle. After seeing some photos of the new and improved Doyle I was actually planning on staying there (never thot I'd say that -- I've always said everyone should stay there once, nobody should stay there twice -- next time I found my way to PA. Lets hope it's a case of newly opened hiccups. Certainly not worth the $75 a room costs. I'll be interested in others reviews in the coming months ahead.
      2,000 miler
    • I'm going to make a prediction.

Remember what a lightning rod Wingfoot used to be? Everyone knew who he was, and everyone had an opinon. TOS was even started because of him. And now...when was last time he was the subject of a lively :) internet discussion?

I think in 10 years the Doyle will be the same. With rooms $75, discontinuing holding hiker boxes, it's clear the new owners are pivoting away from the hiker trade. Which is understandable if they put a bunch of money into renovations. And hopefully, the things we used to talk about -- the obvious safety hazards of the place -- may very well be history. Hikers will still come for a drink and a meal. Some will stay. But I think the Doyles time as a "trail legend" is going to start to diminish. We'll see.

I am looking forward to stopping by and taking a tour of the joint.
      2,000 miler
    • I will always be able to say I stayed there when "it was the Doyle". The only time I had to seriously consider if I should sleep in my hiking clothes and take a shower in the morning afterwards. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I can "proudly" say that I have twice driven five and a half hours from Connecticut to Duncannon just to stay at the Pat and Vicki era Doyle. :D
      Images
      • 498596D0-BCC4-42A4-B1F7-6A1B9212BCB4.jpeg

127.75 kB, 449×600, viewed 133 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

I can "proudly" say that I have twice driven five and a half hours from Connecticut to Duncannon just to stay at the Pat and Vicki era Doyle. :D
      Didn't talk much to Pat, but Vicki was a character. She appreciated that I was from the South like her. Due to my more "mature" age she did give me a room so I would be a little farther from the party on the balcony. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General