Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wildcat / Carter Camping

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wildcat / Carter Camping

Heading to Pinkham Notch in 1.5 weeks to continue my trek NOBO to Gorham. Studying my guidebook, Guthook and various hiker journals, I'm not seeing any camping/lodging options between the Carter Notch Hut and the Imp Shelter / Campsite. Staying at the Hut leaves a long 15.2 miles for Day 2. Staying at the Imp Shelter requires a long 13.1 miles on Day 1. I could do 10 miles without killing myself. ;) Three days are out of the question since my hiking partner Smoking Sox has been warming up for the hike by bagging 4000-footers throughout the Whites. Damn him for living in New Hampshire!

Are there any camping opportunities north of Carter Notch but before Imp? I'm sensitive to restricted camping areas but wonder if there are decent sites for two tents.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Thanks. We're starting to psych ourselves out a bit. There's no doubt that the climbs up to Wildcat D and Carter Dome are challenging. The unknown is how much time it will take to cover the miles in between. Add in temperature / humidity / precipitation variables and it becomes damn hard to plan anything.

The discussion last evening centered on taking a long break at the Carter Notch Hut, then knocking off the 1500' climb out of the notch late afternoon. That will make Day 2 a bit more palatable.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • pinkham to rte 2 is a lot tougher than it looks, but not as bad as you think.
      the stealth sites are small, barely big enough for 2 tents.
      I've done Carter Notch to Imp in a day, but its been a few years. I actually did from the Hut into Gorham one year, but I was much younger/stronger.That was 20 years ago.
      The view from Mt Hight is awesome.
      its all good