Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2021

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro on the AT 2021

My goal is for this year to be my final AT thread and complete my remaining 167 miles. Saturday I dove to Angels Rest Hiker Haven is Pearisburg to surprise Mountain Mike for lunch. Drove on to Bears Den Hostel for the night and swung by the ATC in Harpers Ferry in the morning. Spent last night at Bascom Lodge and at Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch tonight (thanks JimmyJam :thumbup: ).

Big climbs tomorrow up the Wildcats so I chose 6:30am breakfast. This section will be Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch. Then my last section will be Monson to Mt Katahdin.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Mountain Mike and I after lunch at a Mexican restaurant near the hostel. It was really great to meet him in person after 8 years.
      Images
      • 20210626_133258.jpg

96.9 kB, 600×291, viewed 202 times
      • 20210626_133250.jpg

172.42 kB, 800×388, viewed 198 times
    • First time I ever drove into Bears Den Hostel and liked the wood carving in the tree. Just missed a hiking legend by a day. Mountain Mike I mentioned meeting him at the hostel earlier.
      Images
      • 20210626_191149.jpg

91.66 kB, 600×291, viewed 184 times
      • 20210626_191137.jpg

93.84 kB, 600×291, viewed 190 times
      • 20210627_081318.jpg

41.04 kB, 600×291, viewed 193 times
      • 20210626_193934.jpg

140.22 kB, 800×388, viewed 191 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Always enjoy staying at Bascom Lodge. May be driving a little out of the way, but I hate diving through New York City by myself (no one to help navigate).
      Images
      • 20210627_182051.jpg

49.84 kB, 600×291, viewed 186 times
      • 20210627_210402.jpg

41.42 kB, 600×291, viewed 184 times
      • 20210627_210825.jpg

72.95 kB, 800×388, viewed 185 times
      • 20210627_211329.jpg

65.06 kB, 800×388, viewed 194 times
      • 20210627_211228.jpg

54.58 kB, 800×388, viewed 194 times
      • 20210627_210941.jpg

49.25 kB, 800×388, viewed 191 times
      • 20210628_081503.jpg

103.42 kB, 800×388, viewed 206 times
    • Keep me in mind when you're climbing Wildcat. I'm heading to NH over Labor Day week and am trying to decide if my vertigo-challenged wife would want to join me for the hike up Wildcat then take the gondola back down to Route 16. She's OK with climbing, but doesn't like being near ledges with steep drop-offs. Your thoughts on that would be much appreciated.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Keep me in mind when you're climbing Wildcat. I'm heading to NH over Labor Day week and am trying to decide if my vertigo-challenged wife would want to join me for the hike up Wildcat then take the gondola back down to Route 16. She's OK with climbing, but doesn't like being near ledges with steep drop-offs. Your thoughts on that would be much appreciated.
      From the top of Wildcat D there's a very enjoyable walk down a ski route. When we did it there were tons of pretty wild flowers. Just in case the gondola isn't running.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Keep me in mind when you're climbing Wildcat. I'm heading to NH over Labor Day week and am trying to decide if my vertigo-challenged wife would want to join me for the hike up Wildcat then take the gondola back down to Route 16. She's OK with climbing, but doesn't like being near ledges with steep drop-offs. Your thoughts on that would be much appreciated.
      Based upon my experience I would say definitely "NOT". When you first start climbing up it on a ledge. And the challenging part I did was at beginning (now how do get up this thing with a full pack, where do I put my feet, how do I push my body up?).

Now she could take the Gondola up to meet you, and perhaps bring your full pack with her to swap out a daypack. But today I saw maintenance guys at top and they still had the ski lift seats on, probably due to COVID.
    • LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

From the top of Wildcat D there's a very enjoyable walk down a ski route. When we did it there were tons of pretty wild flowers. Just in case the gondola isn't running.

What LIHikers said. If she can hike up, then there is a 'gentler' way down if the ski-lift is not running. The northernmost outside ski trail is called 'Upper Pole Cat.' I have only skied it, but it should be an easy grade walk down (probably not mowed, though).

But, Wildcat now has a zipline from the top. That means the chairlift should be running, at least on certain days. Just double check on the hours and days they are running.

She could also take the Zip Line down :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Thanks for all of the responses. Sounds like the hike isn't a good fit for my wife. I do like the idea of her bringing my pack up the gondola. :thumbsup:
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

At Carter Hut for the night. No Work For Stay this year due to COVID.
      Interestingly they gave me my own section in the bunkhouse with 5 other empty bunks. :)
      Do you mean they didn't charge anything for it?? Also were they serving meals???
      They still charged and prices have gone up since 2019. They served both dinner and breakfast. Were only three other guest. Never could make a reservation since their system is down (doesn'teven work for people on the phone), but accepted walk ins, Credit Card or cash.
    • Wow Astro, what a change a day makes weather wise!
      Looks like you might want to sit out Saturday at least.

My wife just suggested we get a room near Gorham for Sunday night, but I imagine you will be on the other side of the Notch by then. Let us know if you hang around just in case.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Wow Astro, what a change a day makes weather wise!
      Looks like you might want to sit out Saturday at least.

My wife just suggested we get a room near Gorham for Sunday night, but I imagine you will be on the other side of the Notch by then. Let us know if you hang around just in case.
      Had a hard time leaving the hostel today when it was raining. Cleared up for a little bit so I left at 10:30. Started raining again and rocks and slabs slippery. :( Saw a level spot on Mt Hayes and set up my tent. Had to use rocks instead of stakes. Had planned to originally make it to Trident Col Campsite, but will pick up those extra 3.3m tommorow as my target was only Gentian Pond. Just glad I had a nice sunny day for the Wildcats and hoping for the same for Mahoosuc Arm in a few days. :)

Sunday my goal is to make to ME at Carlo Col.
    • Heading up Old Spec it had to rain on me one more time this morning (forecast was not until the afternoon). Got shuttle at Gafton Notch back to my car at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. Never has a quarter fed shower felt so good. :)
      Then grabbed Subway Turkey footlong to eat while I did laundry. Then went to McDonalds drive thru for Quarter Ponder and Chicken Sandwich Deluxes on the way to Walmart. I guess I was really craving meat, bread, lettuce, and tomato.
      Instead of hanging around Gorham went ahead and drove up to Shaw's in Monson. Tomorrow I will work out all the logistics for the 100 mile wilderness and take off Saturday on my last section. :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• 13 states down and only 114 miles left of this one.

Enjoyed Shaw's breakfast. Vfc
      Images
      • 20210705_150937.jpg

97.54 kB, 600×449, viewed 164 times
      • 20210709_071322.jpg

131.37 kB, 800×388, viewed 172 times
    • Chairbacks were not that much fun. Just came down White Cap, stormy and no views of anything, much less Katahdin. Felt like I was going to get blown over by the strong winds until I got below treeline. When I get to East Branch Lean To this afternoon will have less than 70 miles to go. Flatter trail ahead. :thumbup:
    • Great day today, 16.1 miles to Antlers Campsite. Got food drop with my newer tent (Tiger Wall I gave myself for Christmas, old Fly Creek zipper broke) from Shaw's, and got trail magic by 100 Mile Wilderness at Jo-Mary road (hot dog, sloppy joe, Mountain Dew), and phone service tonight. Praying for decent weather to summit Tuesday. Only 51.8 miles to go! :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

Looking like 80% rain and thunderstorms Tuesday, may need to zero at Abol Bridge and shoot for Wednesday. Or Thursday. :/
      Astro, do you plan on staying at The Birches?

I would love to hear how their new permit system works for you. I imagine that you are early enough that you don't have to worry about quotas.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Looking like 80% rain and thunderstorms Tuesday, may need to zero at Abol Bridge and shoot for Wednesday. Or Thursday. :/
      I would love to hear how their new permit system works for you. I imagine that you are early enough that you don't have to worry about quotas.

IMScotty wrote:

Yes, but once I do I am committed to climb Katahdin the next day. So have to rely on weather forecast a day in advance.
    • Anyone have an idea what 15 to 17 mph northwest winds would be like on Katahdin?

Slowed down to spend a free day in the woods, and going into Abol Bridge this morning. Currently plan to summit Thursday.
    • Astro wrote:

Anyone have an idea what 15 to 17 mph northwest winds would be like on Katahdin?

Slowed down to spend a free day in the woods, and going into Abol Bridge this morning. Currently plan to summit Thursday.
      If I recall correctly, I had winds around 20 MPH when I crossed the Knife Edge on my way to Baxter Peak. Had to periodically crouch and grab onto rocks. But on Baxter Peak, that's just a cooling breeze. :D Seriously, after the sweat evaporated, I pulled on an anorak and enjoyed the breeze while hanging out around the summit sign.

Go Astro Go!