Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sheltowee Trace Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My heart broke a little when I studied the map and realized the next 10+ miles is along the big river and “slow going” per reports. I’ll probably switch up my strategy for that section.

Far Out should have the STT finished in the next few weeks and the STT Association is making a guide.

It’s only been slightly frustrating at times but I’m enjoying having to rely on maps for navigation and planning (and blazing of course). I also read the “Notes” for the Challenge participants which is helpful.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • from FB Sheltowee trace association

"We were down on the Sheltowee looking into a navigational problem on Wilson Ridge yesterday. There are still hikers who are following Wilson Ridge as if its the Trace the old way around. Some are even missing the sign back into the woods. We are going to put up more signs, paint some road blazes. The trouble seems to be that hikers are using All Trails and other apps that have the old trail route on them. Bad idea. We have the map reroute available on our webpage for Wilson Ridge. Please use this resource and put away your phone in this area. Above all, please don't get into a shouting match with the locals. Here are some photos of the trail head going back into the woods toward Blue Heron. Notice the blaze on the support."
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

from FB Sheltowee trace association

"We were down on the Sheltowee looking into a navigational problem on Wilson Ridge yesterday. There are still hikers who are following Wilson Ridge as if its the Trace the old way around. Some are even missing the sign back into the woods. We are going to put up more signs, paint some road blazes. The trouble seems to be that hikers are using All Trails and other apps that have the old trail route on them. Bad idea. We have the map reroute available on our webpage for Wilson Ridge. Please use this resource and put away your phone in this area. Above all, please don't get into a shouting match with the locals. Here are some photos of the trail head going back into the woods toward Blue Heron. Notice the blaze on the support."
      I alerted them back in October when I hiked this and missed the reroute. Their response was, sorry, it’s blazed. Which to me implied that they didn’t care.

I was using the most updated map supplemented with Gaia, not using all trails.
      Images
      • FABD8DB1-5AF3-456B-B951-6E3408AA4F14.png

94.57 kB, 277×600, viewed 77 times
    • The issue with that section is a crazy person lives close to where the old trail goes back into the woods. You have to pass in front of this person’s house which is scary AF! There are signs everywhere about being under surveillance and trespassers will be shot. The signs start where the paved road becomes gravel which makes it appear that this guy owns all of that land, including the gravel road that you have to walk on to get to the trailhead.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• IMScotty wrote:

This is the first I have heard of the 'NOT' Hiking Trail. I cannot wait to try it :)
      I think I hiked it right after the reroute was finished. I’m sure they do care about hikers getting lost and glad they’re addressing the problem.

The reroute eliminates some road walking which is great. In the above post, I should have said, “My issue with that section.” The basic issue was the road walk I believe.

Now, the most important question. Do I have to go back and hike the reroute to be legit?

:)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().