Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Leaking inflatable sleeping pad.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Leaking inflatable sleeping pad.

I've been using the same sleeping pad for years and years, a Thermarest, Neoair, Allseason. Not only is it comfortable, but it's warm in the winter too. For the last few years it's had a slow leak and I'd have to blow it back up to proper pressure a couple of times per night. Today I was off from work and decided I'd try yet again to find the leak. So I partially filled the bath tub with water and gave the sleeping pad the dunk test while I looked for bubbles. This isn't the first time I've tried this, and like all the other times I didn't find the leak. Out of frustration I e-mailed Thermarest and got back a reply to view the videos they have about the subject. In the video they recommended that if you couldn't find the leak in plain water then wipe the mat down with water with soap mixed in to produce bubbles. Sure enough, that did the trick and I found the leak :) Next on the list of things to do was to find a patch kit or order one. I dug around in our drawer of miscellaneous hiking stuff and found not one kit, but 3. On this coming Saturday I'll be making the attempt to make the repair. There's one teeny, tiny hole on the back side, near the foot end of the pad. Wish me luck!
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've been using the same sleeping pad for years and years, a Thermarest, Neoair, Allseason. Not only is it comfortable, but it's warm in the winter too. For the last few years it's had a slow leak and I'd have to blow it back up to proper pressure a couple of times per night. Today I was off from work and decided I'd try yet again to find the leak. So I partially filled the bath tub with water and gave the sleeping pad the dunk test while I looked for bubbles. This isn't the first time I've tried this, and like all the other times I didn't find the leak. Out of frustration I e-mailed Thermarest and got back a reply to view the videos they have about the subject. In the video they recommended that if you couldn't find the leak in plain water then wipe the mat down with water with soap mixed in to produce bubbles. Sure enough, that did the trick and I found the leak :) Next on the list of things to do was to find a patch kit or order one. I dug around in our drawer of miscellaneous hiking stuff and found not one kit, but 3. On this coming Saturday I'll be making the attempt to make the repair. There's one teeny, tiny hole on the back side, near the foot end of the pad. Wish me luck!
      If you can repair airplanes and helicopters, I have total faith in you to repair a sleeping pad. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

If you can repair airplanes and helicopters, I have total faith in you to repair a sleeping pad. :thumbup:
      And at least if the repair should be unsuccessful, it's likely to be far less of an issue than it would be on a plane or helicopter ;)
    • Friday we set up a tent in our yard and slept out the last 2 nights. I used the pad that I had patched some months back. When I woke up in the mornings the pad lost only a little air, enough remained that I was able to lay comfortably all night. I did have to add more air at the start of the second night, but I'm not planning any more repairs at this time.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Friday we set up a tent in our yard and slept out the last 2 nights. I used the pad that I had patched some months back. When I woke up in the mornings the pad lost only a little air, enough remained that I was able to lay comfortably all night. I did have to add more air at the start of the second night, but I'm not planning any more repairs at this time.
      Look at it this way, how many nights do you sleep in the same place when out hiking. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Speaking of Thermarest pads...

I had stored my original Thermarest pad under my bed for the last 18 years. I switched to a Big Agnes pad so it hasn't been used in many years. When we were moving, my wife dragged the dust-covered mess out and insisted that I pitch it. I ensured her that I would clean it and add it back into my active gear collection.

Last Friday night, I planned on rolling it up for the final move trip and found that one of our dogs had chewed the valve into a unmovable blob of plastic. My wife got her wish and I have one less piece on unused gear to store.

And since the bed had already been moved, I spent my last two nights at the old house sleeping on the Big Agnes pad. Glad to be back on the pillow-top queen.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard