Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ed Garvey Shelter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ed Garvey Shelter

This is from Reddit -- so don't take it as gospel until verified -- but you gotta be kiddin me. :(

Garvey Shelter is out of commission
      Just got the word from the trail overseer for that section, quoted below.

"Garvey Shelter is out of commission. Has a dangerous hole in the floor where hiker started a campfire inside the shelter. Made a fire ring of rocks on the wood floor and tended it long enough to burn through some 4" limbs before it fell into the foundation."

Hopefully the shelter crew will get it back up before the spring rush. A similar thing happened at Gathland shelter a few years ago.
      2,000 miler
    • Shelters are a problem

Just get rid of the grafitti covered ratboxes.

Build tent pads, leave privy's and picnic tables

It would cut way down on stupid people, as well as spread people out more anyway.

During 1/3 of year there's 40 -60 people per day coming to shelters on southern AT. Only 6-12 can use them anyway. Very little benefit for most.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Muddywaters wrote:

Shelters are a problem

Just get rid of the grafitti covered ratboxes.

Build tent pads, leave privy's and picnic tables
      It would cut way down on stupid people, as well as spread people out more anyway.
      Some good points there. The only shelters I really liked were the enclosed ones like 501, Eckville, and the Fire Warden cabins. Sometimes it was convenient when raining hard or getting in after dark, but I prefer my tent. Do appreciate the picnic tables or at least somewhere to sit down to cook dinner.

Liked the shelters on the Ouachita Trail because no one hardly ever used them (and never the same night as me), so never saw a mouse (no food crumbs to survive off of). Did not feel bad about setting up my little one person tent in them in winter, since no one else was ever there.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General