Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

EE Torrid jacket

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• EE Torrid jacket

I wore the jacket around the neighborhood today. It was 45° and the wind was out of the NW at about 20mph. So it felt a lot chiller that it was. I'd say a real feel of more like 30° or less. The jacket does a great job of not letting the wind thru because of the non- sew thru design, elastic cuffs and the below the waist length. I wore a ls cotton pullover and a cotton "wife beater" T under that. I was warm.
      The jacket has a nice feel, great fit and nice deep hood. I'm 6' and usually hoover around 160 lbs, so I'm what I would call a slim athletic build. I'm normally a large in most things but I went by the reviews I read and followed the size chart on EEs website and ordered the medium. Perfect with room to layer underneath without being binding. It compacts well as you can see in the picture, if I was to use both hands I could get it smaller. Not as compact as a similar down jacket but very very close. The workmanship on the jacket is excellent. I'm very happy with my purchase.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I wore the jacket around the neighborhood today. It was 45° and the wind was out of the NW at about 20mph. So it felt a lot chiller that it was. I'd say a real feel of more like 30° or less. The jacket does a great job of not letting the wind thru because of the non- sew thru design, elastic cuffs and the below the waist length. I wore a ls cotton pullover and a cotton "wife beater" T under that. I was warm.
      The jacket has a nice feel, great fit and nice deep hood. I'm 6' and usually hoover around 160 lbs, so I'm what I would call a slim athletic build. I'm normally a large in most things but I went by the reviews I read and followed the size chart on EEs website and ordered the medium. Perfect with room to layer underneath without being binding. It compacts well as you can see in the picture, if I was to use both hands I could get it smaller. Not as compact as a similar down jacket but very very close. The workmanship on the jacket is excellent. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Looks impressive. :thumbup:
      Can you fold it into one of the pockets?
      Regret giving my hooded MyTrail 700 down jacket to my son last year. Have a MyTrail 850 down but it does not have a hood.
      Was considering getting a Mountanin Hardware Ghost Whisper 2, but they are so expensive and have not seen a good sale yet.
      With the "relatively" reasonabl price this might be a good option for me.

Biggeest tradeoffs I guess bentween syntheic and down is weight vs. price, along with not being as much of a problem if it gets wet.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I'm sure it could be stuffed into a side pocket but the zippers are not double sided so you couldn't zip it shut.i have not weighed mine yet, but the website says 7.75 oz which is probably a small, so s medium is likely 8.75 and a large 9.75, my guess. I'll venture out to the garage and weigh it later or tomorrow. No inside pockets. I also have a $50 Uniqlo Down jacket/sweater which is probably 650 down, not as warm, no hood, and I think weighs 11 oz.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference