Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

MLK 2021

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LI Hikers, a plan is coming together on a FB page. Looks like a small group will be heading to the Mohawk Trail in CT, heading south from the northern end. First night at 'Pine Knoll' shelter on the Mohawk Trail? I am looking that up now. I'm going to try to get there for tomorrow night. I need to head home the next day.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Yikes, woke up to a pretty dark and miserable looking day. I think I will time this to get to the Pine Knoll shelter just before dark.

From what I see there is no definitive plan for Sunday, some want miles and some not so much. I plan on hiking back to my car and returning home on Sunday, although that looks like a much nicer day.

Hope to see you there. If not, let's try to do a better job planning MLK 2022.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Yikes, woke up to a pretty dark and miserable looking day. I think I will time this to get to the Pine Knoll shelter just before dark.

From what I see there is no definitive plan for Sunday, some want miles and some not so much. I plan on hiking back to my car and returning home on Sunday, although that looks like a much nicer day.

Hope to see you there. If not, let's try to do a better job planning MLK 2022.
      Tell everyone I know I said hi.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Kathy and I have been working on the Long Path between New York city and Harriman state park in day hikes.
      So on Saturday we drove north and at about 12:30 parked the car on the side of a road right where the Long Path goes into Harriman. From there we hiked south, away from the park, until we got to the point where we had left off last weekend. We took a quick snack break and then hiked back to the car. There we donned our packs and hiked the Long Path into the park. We followed it to the Big Hill shelter area and set up our tent out back of the shelter just as it was getting dark. There were any number of other people in the area and a large group of young folks partying in the shelter. We were far enough away that their music and noise weren't a problem. From the edge of the hill the shelter is built on we got a great view of New York city all lit up at night. The next day we leisurely got up, and got ready to hike as this trip was about relaxing and getting away from the daily routine and grind, not making miles. Once we started walking we took a series of trail that got us to the Stone Memorial shelter area. All of the streams were running well and ponds and lakes had plenty of water. We should have taken a longer route as we arrived about 3 in the afternoon. Once camp was set up we went for a walk. We had a good chat with another guy who was setting up near the shelter and then went back to our tent. With nothing else to do we cooked up and ate dinner at around 4PM. We sat around until almost 6 and then climbed into the tent. That sure made for a long night but hey, at least now we were well rested. We did get a little snow over night, but not much. On Monday we broke camp and headed back toward our car on the Suffern Bear Mountain trail. It's a trail with a lot of ups and downs that goes over very rocky terrain. About half way through Monday our dog, a 12 year old Shiloh Shepherd was having trouble making it up the bigger rocks so we had to help her. Once we got to the 3rd Reservoir we switched to a woods road that eventually took us back to where we parked the car. For about 45 minutes on Monday we did have a heavy snow shower with howling winds blowing the snow horizontally. I believe the night time lows were around 30 and day time highs around 40. All in all we had a good trip and came home well rested and relaxed. Our dog, Tora, is still recovering and taking it easier than normal.

We can now say that we've been on the Long Path between New York city and Harriman State Park. That was a goal of mine as that trail would be the initial leg if I ever get to hike to our son's house in Ohio. There's no camping allowed so either other plans would have to be made or I'd have to do some actual stealth camping. Who knows.
    • Great report LIHikers. Sorry to hear that Tora is showing her years.

Sounds like you saw plenty of people on your hike. Would you say MLK weekend was more crowded this year than in the past?

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • This was my first hike of 2021. I was expecting rolling Connecticut hills, but the Northern end of the Mohawk Trail going SOBO hits that first climb hard. I was quickly winded and wishing I had packed my micro spikes (if I had a nickel for every time I said that phrase...).

The day started rainy and dreary. The view at the top was obscured.

I was very surprised to see what I think were Black Vultures (not the locally common Turkey Vultures) ready to pick over my carcass.This use to be the route of the AT before it was rerouted. I blamed Myron Avery for the straight up-and-down nature of this section. Evidence of the old AT markers could be found here and there. Sarcasm the Elf told me the AT was rerouted because of issues with hikers in 'Dudleytown', a legendary ghost town in CT (think Blair Witch Project).

The most scenic part of the hike was the part through 'Dean's Ravine.'

Dean's Ravine Waterfall.

The recent rains made Reed Brook flow nicely.

It was only about a five mile hike to the campsite, but at least that is a start on my 2021 mileage. That is Laz on the other side of the brook.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

MLK 2021

Laz

Elf, Hikerboy, Lou and Scotty
      Laz is really styling there with his color coordinated black, red, and yellow if his shoes. Looks the same color of Brooks Cascadia I once bought. Although I probably didn't move half as fast in mine as he does.

Elf looks like he is working on his dances moves, and the rest of y'all are nodding your approval. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

MLK 2021

Laz

Elf, Hikerboy, Lou and Scotty
      Laz is really styling there with his color coordinated black, red, and yellow if his shoes. Looks the same color of Brooks Cascadia I once bought. Although I probably didn't move half as fast in mine as he does.
      Elf looks like he is working on his dances moves, and the rest of y'all are nodding your approval. :)
      Elf reminded me of when I used to take the boys to the skating rink and they'd do the cha cha slide.
      2,000 miler
    • Hi Y'all!

So was a MLK 2022 thread ever created?

Due to the insane conditions, everyone but myself wisely backed out. Once again proving that I'm incapable of learning, I solo-hiked up to Brassie Brook Lean-to as ambient temperatures dropped somewhere between -5°f and -10°f with 20+mph winds on top of that. I "slept" with my 20°bag nestled inside my zero degree bag and even thenI was freezing all night. It was also the first time I've had a stove fail due to the cold. The subzero morning was beautiful but it was also the fastest I've ever packed up and broken camp. After 2-3 miles I finally started to warm up.
      Images
      • 826F4A5E-E34C-4BF3-A89B-D345B453028A.jpeg

113.24 kB, 800×600, viewed 142 times
      • E2ED00F4-7B34-4C5A-825A-2E05044F3745.jpeg

78.57 kB, 600×450, viewed 146 times
      • 517E72A2-2CFC-410D-AD47-4A20AE4FF75C.jpeg

288.85 kB, 800×600, viewed 151 times
      • D429FBEA-714C-4E62-B70D-8E9425775602.jpeg

85.65 kB, 504×600, viewed 134 times
      • 57EC2D56-4DAD-4987-98F7-A77058A026E8.jpeg

139.72 kB, 800×600, viewed 132 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • In 2022 MLK was postponed to Ground Hog Day weekend. The proposed itinerary was to spend the first night at Silver Hill Campsite, in Connecticut, on the AT, and then hike north to the next shelter the next day. It turns out that my wife Kathy and I were the only ones to show up at Silver Hill. It was a nice day to hike in and I had to be careful not to work up a sweet. The ground was frozen and we bent most of our tent stakes hammering them into the ground with a rock. The night had a clear sky just filled with stars and it went down to +11 degrees. I was toasty in my Western MountIneering Puma, rated at -25, and Kathy did your trick of using one bag inside another. The next day, after a hot breakfast, we packed up and hiked back to our car. As we were getting ready to leave, Hiker Boy and Laz pulled in. I believe they hiked to the shelter I mentioned earlier. We didn't join them as we had already changed into clean clothes. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :)