Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Why Overfill?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why Overfill?

I see that a lot of people order their bags/quilts with 2/3 ozs of overfill. Why?
      Is it for extra warmth? If so, how much does it add. And if it does shouldn’t you just order a warmer bag?
      Is it to try and keep more good down in the bag between washes so you stay at the temp ratings of the bag?
      Wouldn’t overfill compress the down already in there?
      If a lot of people order this way why not make it standard and make the special order for an under filled bag ?(
    • Dmax wrote:

I see that a lot of people order their bags/quilts with 2/3 ozs of overfill. Why?
      Is it for extra warmth? If so, how much does it add. And if it does shouldn’t you just order a warmer bag?
      Is it to try and keep more good down in the bag between washes so you stay at the temp ratings of the bag?
      Wouldn’t overfill compress the down already in there?
      If a lot of people order this way why not make it standard and make the special order for an under filled bag ?(
      1. Of course its for extra warmth
      2. Depends. 5-10F maybe if enough room
      3. Maybe....but your getting an intermediate temp rating usually...not next lower rated item
      4. Yes, and to buffer moisture pickup from body on multi night trips.
      5. Yes if its not roomy enough for overfill.
      Some are, some arent. Many are marginal fill anyway trying to be light as possible
      6. Same reason we have dozens of flavors of icecream.....everyone likes something different
    • DMax, these are excellent questions.

I think the answers may vary from product to product. At some point more fill will result in compression of the down, and this will actually decrease the insulting abilities of the down. That said, I'm guessing most products have the volume to accommodate an overfill, so a few extra ounces may indeed buy you a few extra degrees of comfort.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • My first Feathered friend sleeping bag was their Rock Wren. It had no side baffles so you could move the down from top to bottom to adjust temperature. The temp rating was not what I needed so I had them add some down. I recently replaced it with a newer version called their Winter Wren. Pretty much what I originally ordered with a better shell. So yes, I believe in adding fill to some items.