Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Advice & Philosophy from the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Advice & Philosophy from the Trail

Here is an article with advice/philosophy from the trail from thru hikers to apply to real life. Please note the couple is just the JMT, but I believe the rest are long distance trails. I am sure there other articles like this out there too. Or perhaps some of y'all want to share some of your own advice. :)

livsndesigns.com/blogs/the-pip…hat-the-trail-taught-them
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Not sure you really need to thru hike to lean a lot of this. Even on my relatively short hike, I have been greatly influenced by the "embrace the suck" or minimalism idea expressed by many in the article. The way I see it is that much unhappiness and disappointment in life comes from not having what you want. However what backpacking has taught me is that the problem is not that I don't have these things, it is that I WANT them. The point being is that you often have no control over what you have, but you DO have control over what you want. You can want anything while hiking, but if isn't in your pack, you can't have. So you have a choice: You can want it and be miserable, or you can not want it and be happy. You decide. Few people can accept the fact that much of their own misery is self inflicted this way.