Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Christmas 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Being able to hike another section of the PCT this summer. There is still no word on permits yet for the thrus, and lots of large sections still closed from the previous year's fires.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I got myself a synthetic 20° quilt from Cedar Ridge Outdoors made with the new synthetic that is not in sheets- it's supposed to mimic down very well, and the synthetic jacket from Enlightened Equipment.
      Looking forward to your review on this at some point JJ.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I got myself a synthetic 20° quilt from Cedar Ridge Outdoors made with the new synthetic that is not in sheets- it's supposed to mimic down very well, and the synthetic jacket from Enlightened Equipment.
      Still waiting on it. Supposed to have it by Christmas, ordered mid-October. The jacket will be here today or tomorrow.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Merry Christmas.

Christmas Eve service will be online which I'll cast to the TV. Which is what I've done since March.
      we tend to watch the services from the Vatican if they are on. We're not Catholic but St Peters is pretty awesome.
      I'm not Catholic either, but I read that this year the Mass was held in front of 100 people instead of 10,000 and held in a smaller back room. It also started 2 hours earlier so that people could get home before the 10 pm curfew.

2,000 miler
    • A Belated Merry Christmas to Cafe'rs!

Covid has really messed with my sleeping; don't know why but I regularly wake up between 5am and 6am now, rather than around 7am-ish previously. On Christmas Eve I woke up about 4:30am, on Christmas Day I woke up about 3:10am and today I woke up at 4:50am. So, I was unable to stay up to watch mass from St. Peters. Instead my husband & I attended a 4pm Vigil mass at my parents' former parish. They have a HUGE collection of Santa Bears. This year they only set up about 1/3 to 1/2 of all the Santa Bears that they have in the Gathering Room. My husband was disappointed that they didn't put masks on the Bears. Ha.
    • IMScotty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Finally got the Cedar Ridge quilt yesterday and it looks really nice. I also got the EE Torrid jacket which looks nice too.
      I had a double unexpected end to 2020 with diagnosis of Celiac disease and a small inguinal hernia. I had the hernia repair done Thursday so I am very sore and will probably not feel like crawling into the quilt for a couple of weeks. I cannot believe I have had my abdomen operated on twice in six months. Same surgeon, same robot. I now have a total of 7 scars across my belly. Ouch!!!!! The surgeon says I should be back to normal in four weeks. I'm already able to walk around the block.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Finally got the Cedar Ridge quilt yesterday and it looks really nice. I also got the EE Torrid jacket which looks nice too.I had a double unexpected end to 2020 with diagnosis of Celiac disease and a small inguinal hernia. I had the hernia repair done Thursday so I am very sore and will probably not feel like crawling into the quilt for a couple of weeks. I cannot believe I have had my abdomen operated on twice in six months. Same surgeon, same robot. I now have a total of 7 scars across my belly. Ouch!!!!! The surgeon says I should be back to normal in four weeks. I'm already able to walk around the block.
      Glad you finally got your gear, but sorry to hear about the surgery. Praying for a quick recovery.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Finally got the Cedar Ridge quilt yesterday and it looks really nice. I also got the EE Torrid jacket which looks nice too.I had a double unexpected end to 2020 with diagnosis of Celiac disease and a small inguinal hernia. I had the hernia repair done Thursday so I am very sore and will probably not feel like crawling into the quilt for a couple of weeks. I cannot believe I have had my abdomen operated on twice in six months. Same surgeon, same robot. I now have a total of 7 scars across my belly. Ouch!!!!! The surgeon says I should be back to normal in four weeks. I'm already able to walk around the block.
      oh my, JJ, you’ve had a lot of challenges recently. I’m sorry for your troubles but happy you have a diagnosis and can get better! Take care my friend!

(I’ve been upgrading my clothing and some gear and have been looking at the Torrid jacket, let me know how you like it.)
      Lost in the right direction.