Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Bottom Heating Alcohol Stove alternative.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bottom Heating Alcohol Stove alternative.

Hey I like BB's thread on Alcohol Stoves and he is working so hard on this I didn't want to put in any thread drift. I too have worked on the side burners but after a while took a different look on this and tested a bottom burner for Heineken & Foster cans, hence the thread. Also if you are into TI pots which are now in the $50 dollar range at REI - you will find a bottom burn transferring the heat more efficient to these smaller pots.

Heiny pots as well as the stove have a concave bottom that the nails lock into - the 1" clearance provided from the nails and built in wind screen. The 1" is very important - oxygen is stifled without the clearance! Leave the nails out and the stove cant get enough air to run. The holes were made with a simple hole punch for tickets. I stopped the three levels of holes on 1/4 of the stove to prevent flames hitting any handle and that is the wind side. It is important the inside cone is below the holes and ample JB Weld to hold the nails and cone in place. (Do not Subsititute) The jets were drilled with something smaller than 1/16 and next time I will up it to four or five. [IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/DSCN1513a_zps48c2df70.jpg]Total weight a taz over 1 ounce. This one was easy to make - Any Bud aluminum bottle will do - I used the longest thin brads I could find.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

My wife and I use an Etowah II alcohol stove for 3 season camping. I have no idea what it weighs, how much fuel it uses, or how fast it boils water. We use it with a K-Mart grease pot, and a wind screen I made from aluminum flashing. I also made a cozy for the pot. The nice part is that everything, except the cozy, fits inside the pot making our kitchen kit very easy to carry.

[IMG:http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/images/e2.jpg]

While I bought that one, I've got a couple cans stashed away to make the next one when that one burns/rusts through

BirdBrain wrote:

We (I) need more details and pictures. gif.010

tell you what - I have absolutely ZERO interest in making these...I will make a few and you email me your address and I will send you one.. free, - I cannot do better than that!

I also found the websites on how to roll ridges into heiny pots.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: