Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Bearwallow Gap to Catawba (McAfee)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bearwallow Gap to Catawba (McAfee)

Slingshot and I are at again, picking up where we left off. Hit the trailhead at 1:30 yesterday and hiked 6+miles to a stealth site. Had a visit by a huge buck. A wonderful clear night with lots of stars and then a very bright moon. We had a beautiful sunrise and had sticks down by 7:15. When we got to Wilson Creek shelter at 9:00am we found three tents set up in the shelter. Clueless weekenders with Walmart gear and survival knives lol.
      We stopped at Fulhardt Knob shelter for lunch at 9 miles - warning no water, do not depend on the cistern, and then headed on another 5 into Daleville and are stealth camped in my BFFs backyard lol.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took me a little bit to figure out that you were going North to South. LOL.

Last year (2019) I did Catawba VA311 to Daleville. I'd previously been to MacAfee's Knob 2 other times on day hikes so I really enjoyed hanging out for awhile enjoying the view from Tinker Cliffs.
    • Trillium wrote:

Took me a little bit to figure out that you were going North to South. LOL.

Last year (2019) I did Catawba VA311 to Daleville. I'd previously been to MacAfee's Knob 2 other times on day hikes so I really enjoyed hanging out for awhile enjoying the view from Tinker Cliffs.
      I think Tinker Cliffs is more amazing than McAfee
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Took me a little bit to figure out that you were going North to South. LOL.

I think Tinker Cliffs is more amazing than McAfee
      It is like comparing great view(s) against an iconic photo op. What is more important to you, what you are actually seeing or something people instantly recognize. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I find s

Astro wrote:

It is like comparing great view(s) against an iconic photo op. What is more important to you, what you are actually seeing or something people instantly recognize. :)
      I love beautiful expansive views but find they are difficult to capture in a photograph. Many times I have have taken a picture of a great view, but when I get home and look at the pictures I find them to be blah. I think most people just want a picture of themselves. I did pose on McAfee Knob, but generally I take few selfies.
    • Here's some more pictures. While camped in my buddies backyard I heard a bobcat and a few coyotes. The next day we had a killer climb out of Daleville to the mountain top but we were rewarded with wonderful views of Carvins Cove Reservoir. After a lunch stop at Lambert's Meadow we proceeded on up the mountain to Tinker Cliffs. WOW, the cliffs were better than I remembered. After taking umpteen pics we proceeded off the cliffs and up and down until almost 5 pm when we pulled up at Campbell Shelter. The original plan was to drop our stuff and hike the .7 up to McAfee but after 15 miles we were out of gas. We did make it up there about 8:45 the next morning.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference