Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

A Two Nighter in the SNP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A Two Nighter in the SNP

I sold my big trailer and bought a large teardrop trailer which is about half the size and weight of the other. So much easier to maneuver. We took it to Loft Mountain Campground for a break-in. It's peak leaf peeper time in the SNP so even though we went on a Tuesday we barely got a spot. It was very warm for October, upper 70s in the day and only 50s at night. The colors were pretty good, mostly yellow, gold, orange and a little red. Made a fire each night and had s'mores. Really really liking the little camper.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Lovely trailer, looks like a good size for two. I would be interested to hear your thoughts after you spend a little more time with it because that is the only kind of camping I will be able to get my wife to buy into.

Sad to see the empty 'ranger talk' auditorium. My experience is that is a great way to connect kids with the outdoors and teach then some things about nature.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • When I was working with Boy Scouts, some of my favorite camping trips were when we went to state parks and could attend ranger talks and hikes. On the weekend an "outdoor classroom" can still be a great way to learn.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I've been toying with the idea of a small light camper like that for years. I got a 20-ft travel trailer and it's just too big heavy and too much trouble to hook up... With anti-sway and load distributing hitch. A small teardrop..... Even smaller than yours....... I've been thinking would be great for taking trips with the wife and going places we haven't been.

I also looked a lot at the small fiberglass campers.... Really liked the lil snoozy before they went bankrupt..... But now they're back I read a few months ago with a new owner. Pricey though. 20k+
    • I’ve looked into travel trailers extensively and either want a Timberleaf or Oliver. They’re difficult to find right now and I don’t need to spend the money... but I’m definitely buying one within the next two years.

My daughter is tired of Van Life so she’s selling her converted van. People are offering more for it than she paid because they are scarce right now.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I’ve looked into travel trailers extensively and either want a Timberleaf or Oliver. They’re difficult to find right now and I don’t need to spend the money... but I’m definitely buying one within the next two years.

My daughter is tired of Van Life so she’s selling her converted van. People are offering more for it than she paid because they are scarce right now.
      Good for her to get the experience, and now be able to turn a profit. :)

My youngest son was able to get a great deal last spring on a used pop up camper with AC. Probably short term job loss or uncertainty and the seller was happy to get cash.
    • I've gone to the RV show every year to look at the small ones but can't seem to pull the trigger. I finally realized that as long as I have my current car I'll probably just use it; I can sleep 1 very comfortably or 2 not so comfortably. I think I'll probably end up with a van or perhaps a pickup with a camper top and build out the inside -- those options have, of course, nothing to tow.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I've gone to the RV show every year to look at the small ones but can't seem to pull the trigger. I finally realized that as long as I have my current car I'll probably just use it; I can sleep 1 very comfortably or 2 not so comfortably. I think I'll probably end up with a van or perhaps a pickup with a camper top and build out the inside -- those options have, of course, nothing to tow.
      Yeah, towing is an issue. Whatever I buy will be towed with a Subaru. Some manufacturers claim their trailers can be towed with an Outback but the numbers are right at the max towing capacity and don’t factor in personal supplies and gear.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • odd man out wrote:

My problem is all trailers I've seen have too many bells and whistles. I really don't need a tv or microwave. We never camp at campgrounds with water or electricity hookups. I just don't want to mess with all the utilities.
      Look at the small teardrops. Just a bed and overhead cabinets inside, outside a "kitchen" in the clamshell rear typically a propane stove, a sink with a 2 to 4 gal water supply and a propane powered refrig cooler.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

My problem is all trailers I've seen have too many bells and whistles. I really don't need a tv or microwave. We never camp at campgrounds with water or electricity hookups. I just don't want to mess with all the utilities.
      Look at the small teardrops. Just a bed and overhead cabinets inside, outside a "kitchen" in the clamshell rear typically a propane stove, a sink with a 2 to 4 gal water supply and a propane powered refrig cooler.
      I've seen those, but wife would need something you could stand up in. Also would like an enclosure for a casette toilet (no plumbing or black water tank to mess with). I would also use a portable Lithium battery pack. Put in the car to charge while driving. Put in trailer and plug in LED lighting. Don't need electricity for much else. I certainly don't want to pay for TV and entertainment systems. I like the outdoor kitchen but it needs to be under an awning. I would made it slide out the side by the door so the entry and kitchen are under an awning that runs the full length of trailer. If I had the initiative, time, and talent, I would modify an aluminum utility trailer.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

That is one I have looked at. Like that it is small enough to be easy to haul around.
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I've seen those, but wife would need something you could stand up in. Also would like an enclosure for a casette toilet (no plumbing or black water tank to mess with). I would also use a portable Lithium battery pack. Put in the car to charge while driving. Put in trailer and plug in LED lighting. Don't need electricity for much else. I certainly don't want to pay for TV and entertainment systems. I like the outdoor kitchen but it needs to be under an awning. I would made it slide out the side by the door so the entry and kitchen are under an awning that runs the full length of trailer. If I had the initiative, time, and talent, I would modify an aluminum utility trailer.
      Look at the Little Guy Mini Max or the TAB 320. They would work if you are 5'-10". I'm 6' and have the Little Guy Max which had 6'-7" of headroom.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Also would like an enclosure for a casette toilet (no plumbing or black water tank to mess with). I would also use a portable Lithium battery pack.
      Cassette toilet -- never heard of that before -- google enlightened me. Interesting...
      That might go on my Christmas list. :)
      weve had one of these for over 20 years. Quite handy
      thetford.com/product/porta-potti-345/
    • After after dealing with leaks and seams moving apart on travel trailers before I'm really leery of any trailers. Then there's the really crappy particle board and glue interiors. They simply aren't made to last.

Which is why I'm drawn to the solid fiberglass small trailers. Snoozy 2.... 15'....uses quality components everywhere... And the AC is a window unit ac rear mounted..$125 instead of $$$ for rv AC.

Still got a driving trip to Alaska on my bucket list one day....
    • Muddywaters wrote:

After after dealing with leaks and seams moving apart on travel trailers before I'm really leery of any trailers. Then there's the really crappy particle board and glue interiors. They simply aren't made to last.

Which is why I'm drawn to the solid fiberglass small trailers. Snoozy 2.... 15'....uses quality components everywhere... And the AC is a window unit ac rear mounted..$125 instead of $$$ for rv AC.

That's what I like about mine. Steel frame, aluminum framed walls and roof, fiberglass roof, and a special laminated composite foam wall panels. Only wood is the cabinets and framing under the bed. I think the floor is also a composite panel from I can see from under the trailer. But yeah, a lot of trailers aren't built very well and I think the bigger they are the more movement you're going get between parts and that's going to give you problems.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Muddywaters wrote:

After after dealing with leaks and seams moving apart on travel trailers before I'm really leery of any trailers. Then there's the really crappy particle board and glue interiors. They simply aren't made to last.

I too have looked at fiberglass trailers for the same reason. Scamp and Casita seem to be the leaders in this niche. Not heard of Snoozy. Their web page was short on details (like specs and price). Some features are right up my alley (casette toilet). Not sure I need the AC, so not having to pay a lot for it is nice.