Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Packs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• On another thread LIHikers mentioned he was looking to buy a new pack and was considering ULA, so I thought I would create a new thread to focus on Packs under Gear.

I bought my ULA Catalyst in 2012 and Circuit in 2015 (good deal on Massdrop and opportunity to drop another half pound as I also dialed the other gear in). Very happy with both. Use the Circuit mostly, but occassionaly use the Catalyst during the winter when carrying more winter clothing and my older bigger 20* bag (just bought new WM 20* this summer). Great company and customer service. Sew their packs in the USA. To me ULA is in the middle of the spectrum between the comfort focused packs and the extreme ultra lite ones. To me, good comfort at reasonable weight.

I am probably a little rough on packs (fall and slide a lot, especially in NH & ME), but seems to be holding up overall and from what others have said online ULA will work with you on replacing parts.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • My buddy Slingshot uses a Catalyst and he really likes it. He's had it since 2015 and it's held up well. I have had a Superior Wilderness Designs Long Haul 50 now for a couple of years and I really like it. They have a number of very reasonable priced options to let you customize your pack. Mine is made of Xpac which is a light but very durable and waterproof material. The pack is full featured with curved shoulder straps, load lifters, padded back and a back fitting frame but still a light pack under 2 pounds. It carries very nice.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • my circuit is relegated for winter use. Havent used it but once or twic since got arc blast in 2013. My arc blast is magical....it doesnt lean back, or put any wt on shoulders at all. And its water resistant. Dont get heavy and water logged. Dont think id want one of the newer adjustable ones though.

Did I mention it weighs 17 Oz?

Currently packed to head out this afternoon for 5 days thru next wed.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Muddywaters wrote:

my circuit is relegated for winter use. Havent used it but once or twic since got arc blast in 2013. My arc blast is magical....it doesnt lean back, or put any wt on shoulders at all. And its water resistant. Dont get heavy and water logged. Dont think id want one of the newer adjustable ones though.

Look forward to a trip report/pictures if you can when you get back.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Muddywaters wrote:

my circuit is relegated for winter use. Havent used it but once or twic since got arc blast in 2013. My arc blast is magical....it doesnt lean back, or put any wt on shoulders at all. And its water resistant. Dont get heavy and water logged. Dont think id want one of the newer adjustable ones though.

Look forward to a trip report/pictures if you can when you get back.
      Yeah I don't really do that.
      I'd like to remember trips and write them down. Especially the people I meet.

I tried to do that on my JMT hike and after writing five pages I was still on the first day...... I gave up. Don't have it in me.
    • The 'S' curve packs are designed to stay out of the way of my breasts :) I use a J curve.

I use a Catalyst. It originally bought it because it was big enough to hold my bear canister inside on my JMT hike, but now I use it for everything. Yes, the Circuit would be lighter and the Catalyst is a bit large for a weekend hike, but I always seem to fill it up somehow.

I am on my second Catalyst; I wore out the first one. I find it is very comfortable up to about 28 pounds. Tolerable up to about 34 pounds. I think if I tried to go beyond that I would be unhappy.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I mentioned I have an Elemental Horizons Kalais which is comparable to the Circuit ( I think). Not waterproof like the newer packs but I've not worried about it. I like the belt a lot with a double adjustment. I know some UL packs have minimal or no belt, but I wouldn't go that way for myself.