Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking plans 2021

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Hiking plans 2021

      Kathy and I are starting to formulate a plan for next year. Right now we think that first we'll hike from the Delaware River bridge to the Bear Mountain bridge. That's 110 miles. Then we'll spend a night at the Bear Mountzin Inn so we can get cleaned up. Next we'd drive to Maine and camp in Baxter State Park a few nights so we can hike Katadyn. Then we'll go to New Hampshire so I can hike Wildcat D. Then we just have to make the drive home. We haven't picked any dates yet but soon so we'll be ready to make reservations.
    • Planning to go Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch and then Monson to Katahdin (although would conslider SOBO on the last part if meeting anyone at certain date to do Katahdin together). Shoot, as much as I jumped around in 2019, I could even start at Katahdin first, go SOBO to Monson, then go down and knock out between the Notches.

      If body is holding up would then swing over and do Collegiate Loop (Colorado Trail). After the first 167 miles I should have my "hiking legs" and just need to deal with elevation gain on the last 153 miles.

      Current plan is to start early July (~6th). But if unable to work out an 8 week summer class ($), then might go ahead and start in June. Probably still a few months away from making that decision. Obviously earlier start leaves more buffer if any minor injuries along the way.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro,

      It's all good, but I think nothing would beat a finish at Katahdin.
      The mosquitos and black flies in the Maine woods in June can be epically brutal. I would go with July if you can.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

      Astro,

      It's all good, but I think nothing would beat a finish at Katahdin.
      The mosquitos and black flies in the Maine woods in June can be epically brutal. I would go with July if you can.
      I have heard black flies in by Mothers Day and out by Fathers Day. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Well I had to cancel my planned PCT section hike from Agua Dulce in 2020. Now that area has burnt and the trail is closed :( I will have to see what conditions look like in the Spring before I make any plans.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

      Well I had to cancel my planned PCT section hike from Agua Dulce in 2020. Now that area has burnt and the trail is closed :( I will have to see what conditions look like in the Spring before I make any plans.
      First, sorry that you were so negatively impacted. :(

      After listening to so many podcast from people who had hiked the PCT and CDT I started planning (dreaming) about doing the Triple Crown, even if with just with 2 to 3 month LASHes each summer. But then after thinking about snow, fires, desert, and grizzly bears, I think I will just focus long term on doing a thru hike of the AT and the Triple Crown Jewels (Long Trail, Colorado Trail and John Muir Trail). :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      ,.. I think I will just focus long term on doing a thru hike of the AT and the Triple Crown Jewels (Long Trail, Colorado Trail and John Muir Trail). :)
      I have also reading about the Sierra, focusing on SEKI, rather than the JMT. Read an interesting article on how a big loop starting and stopping at Road's End in Kings Canyon has a lot of advantages over the JMT - much less crowded, easier to get a permit, more scenic, easier logistics. One person did it as a figure 8 hike (two loops) so he could resupply out of his car halfway through. Of course this is all based on what I read. Haven't done it yet. Another place in SEKI that looks interesting is Tehipite (rhymes with Yosemite) Valley. It's really hard to get to and thus very quiet. One trip report said imagine Yosemite Valley with no people or Hetch Hetchy but not under water. Sounds amazing.
    • Sierra and SEKI are full of awesome places with minimal traffic.

      But that's a double-edged sword. Often the trails are on Rocky ground that's durable..... And low traffic trails can disappear in places. One of complaints of some people are reaching top of a pass on a SEKI route......and spending an hour searching for trail down because it was obscure.

      The best part of JMT is SEKI, but it's more than that. It's a cross-section of the Sierra from Yosemite to seki and it changes dramatically along way, and you get to experience that change. From yosemites waterfalls....to the green meadows and high peaks of the middle section.... To the above tree line dramatic landscapes in SEKI.
    • Astro wrote:

      Planning to go Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch and then Monson to Katahdin (although would conslider SOBO on the last part if meeting anyone at certain date to do Katahdin together). Shoot, as much as I jumped around in 2019, I could even start at Katahdin first, go SOBO to Monson, then go down and knock out between the Notches.

      If body is holding up would then swing over and do Collegiate Loop (Colorado Trail). After the first 167 miles I should have my "hiking legs" and just need to deal with elevation gain on the last 153 miles.

      Current plan is to start early July (~6th). But if unable to work out an 8 week summer class ($), then might go ahead and start in June. Probably still a few months away from making that decision. Obviously earlier start leaves more buffer if any minor injuries along the way.
      Looks like I will be through teaching by June 5th. So considering trying the Bartram Trail in mid June. 111 miles and then I can take the AT back to Franklin (26 miles, or maybe even cross back to the BT at Wayah Bald to put me into town instead of out on US 64 east of town). Probably more water and cooler than hiking in AR in June, and "try" to get me in shape for remaining NH & ME segments. Plus get to see my dad and sister on both ends and the middle to resupply in Franklin.

      Then end of June to mid July I can knock out Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch, and then Monson to Mt Katahdin. Leaving me the end of July to do Collegiate Loop of the Colorado Trail.

      Over 450 miles altogether. Great plans as long as this old body holds up (and the wife doen't have anything else going on). ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

    • Astro wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      Planning to go Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch and then Monson to Katahdin (although would conslider SOBO on the last part if meeting anyone at certain date to do Katahdin together). Shoot, as much as I jumped around in 2019, I could even start at Katahdin first, go SOBO to Monson, then go down and knock out between the Notches.

      If body is holding up would then swing over and do Collegiate Loop (Colorado Trail). After the first 167 miles I should have my "hiking legs" and just need to deal with elevation gain on the last 153 miles.

      Current plan is to start early July (~6th). But if unable to work out an 8 week summer class ($), then might go ahead and start in June. Probably still a few months away from making that decision. Obviously earlier start leaves more buffer if any minor injuries along the way.
      Looks like I will be through teaching by June 5th. So considering trying the Bartram Trail in mid June. 111 miles and then I can take the AT back to Franklin (26 miles, or maybe even cross back to the BT at Wayah Bald to put me into town instead of out on US 64 east of town). Probably more water and cooler than hiking in AR in June, and "try" to get me in shape for remaining NH & ME segments. Plus get to see my dad and sister on both ends and the middle to resupply in Franklin.
      Then end of June to mid July I can knock out Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch, and then Monson to Mt Katahdin. Leaving me the end of July to do Collegiate Loop of the Colorado Trail.

      Over 450 miles altogether. Great plans as long as this old body holds up (and the wife doen't have anything else going on). ;)
      Hey, Astro, keep me posted on your Pinkham date and maybe I can hike a leg of that with you if you like. I left off at Pinkham.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      Planning to go Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch and then Monson to Katahdin (although would conslider SOBO on the last part if meeting anyone at certain date to do Katahdin together). Shoot, as much as I jumped around in 2019, I could even start at Katahdin first, go SOBO to Monson, then go down and knock out between the Notches.

      If body is holding up would then swing over and do Collegiate Loop (Colorado Trail). After the first 167 miles I should have my "hiking legs" and just need to deal with elevation gain on the last 153 miles.

      Current plan is to start early July (~6th). But if unable to work out an 8 week summer class ($), then might go ahead and start in June. Probably still a few months away from making that decision. Obviously earlier start leaves more buffer if any minor injuries along the way.
      Looks like I will be through teaching by June 5th. So considering trying the Bartram Trail in mid June. 111 miles and then I can take the AT back to Franklin (26 miles, or maybe even cross back to the BT at Wayah Bald to put me into town instead of out on US 64 east of town). Probably more water and cooler than hiking in AR in June, and "try" to get me in shape for remaining NH & ME segments. Plus get to see my dad and sister on both ends and the middle to resupply in Franklin.Then end of June to mid July I can knock out Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch, and then Monson to Mt Katahdin. Leaving me the end of July to do Collegiate Loop of the Colorado Trail.

      Over 450 miles altogether. Great plans as long as this old body holds up (and the wife doen't have anything else going on). ;)
      Hey, Astro, keep me posted on your Pinkham date and maybe I can hike a leg of that with you if you like. I left off at Pinkham.
      That would be great! I will let you know the exact dates as we get closer. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I've been working on an itinerary for the Tahoe area and the Desolation Wilderness for hiking and backcountry fishing. Now I'm not sure if this is the right year to plan this trip. It is located in California and they have some strict Covid rules. South Tahoe has basically shut down B&B to keep tourists out.
    • Dmax wrote:

      I've been working on an itinerary for the Tahoe area and the Desolation Wilderness for hiking and backcountry fishing. Now I'm not sure if this is the right year to plan this trip. It is located in California and they have some strict Covid rules. South Tahoe has basically shut down B&B to keep tourists out.
      Maybe things will be under control by summer or late summer in California.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Dmax wrote:

      I've been working on an itinerary for the Tahoe area and the Desolation Wilderness for hiking and backcountry fishing. Now I'm not sure if this is the right year to plan this trip. It is located in California and they have some strict Covid rules. South Tahoe has basically shut down B&B to keep tourists out.
      Maybe things will be under control by summer or late summer in California.
      Maybe, but do we want to take that chance? The permits for the DW wouldn't be huge loss if we couldn't go, but what about the airplane and hotel? I'd hate to have my money tied up on that, then can't go. We were flying into Reno. Nevada isn't as strict as Ca, but I don't see a lot to do in Nevada other than shopping for outdoor gear in Reno. My uncle is a ranch hand on the Ca side near redwood city. But if I go there I'd have to have elevation sickness pills. On the working ranch they also grow legal Mj for resale in the stores. I wonder if I can talk the wife into just hiking there and camping in the fields. Lol
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Dmax wrote:

      I've been working on an itinerary for the Tahoe area and the Desolation Wilderness for hiking and backcountry fishing. Now I'm not sure if this is the right year to plan this trip. It is located in California and they have some strict Covid rules. South Tahoe has basically shut down B&B to keep tourists out.
      Maybe things will be under control by summer or late summer in California.
      or anyplace else for that matter. I'm hoping we'll be able to go to Maine. Last year it was easy, this coming summer, who knows.
    • I believe there is reason to be optimistic about August. That would be a good month to be out there Dmax.

      most airlines are offering 'no cost' flight rescheduling right now, so if August does not work you should be able to change your flights to another tie or even place I think
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

      Astro wrote:

      twistwrist wrote:

      Hey guys! Clarity scored a permit to hike the JMT this year starting June 25! I'm so excited!! :)

      I hope you all are doing well.
      Clarity,That is awesome! :thumbup:
      Please provide us with one of your awesome trail reports when finish.
      Thank you Astro! Pretty psyched! Enjoying the uphill journey of planning everything!

      LIhikers wrote:

      It's good to hear that they are issuing permits for 2021, I'm kind of surprised though due to covid.
      They actually issued permits for last year too, but places around the trail were closed and transportation was harder. Folks who received a permit last year had it emailed to them...
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

      Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • New

      Dmax,

      Elevation is a big factor. Here are the June Max and Min temps for Tuolumne Meadows at 8600 feet. Towards Whitney you will be camping at higher elevations than this.

      Tuolumne Meadows (8,600 feet / 2,622 m)
      MonthMaximumMinimumPrecipitation
      (°F / °C)(°F / °C)(inches / mm)
      June65 / 1833 / 10.8 / 20



      I slept on the top of Whitney in August and I'm pretty sure it reached the low 20's with a wind that made it feel colder. In June and the beginning of July you will definitely have to cross snow at the passes. I would plan on a 20 degree bag at a minimum with warm clothes to wear in the bag to supplement it.

      On my hike I liked to camp high, but there was a price to pay with cold nights. I would say more people camped low when they could, but you have to be ready for anything.

      Also, do not underestimate the power of that California sun.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

      Dmax wrote:

      twistwrist wrote:

      Hey guys! Clarity scored a permit to hike the JMT this year starting June 25! I'm so excited!! :)

      I hope you all are doing well.
      How do I figure out night time temps for the Sierras?
      theres weather monitoring stations in the sierra. CDEC site, all historical data you want. . Your looking at about 30 for lowest at 10-11000 ft...only 1-2 nights per summer down to 25. Mostly 35 F ish. , unless at 12000+....then a 25F night is possible. Katabatic wind gets guitar lake quite cold sometimes.
    • New

      Astro wrote:

      Sometimes it sounds like the PCT should be called the Fire and Ice Trail. :D
      It is amazing pout there how quickly the temperature drops once the sun goes down. Literally can go from hot to near freezing in one hour.


      Dmax wrote:

      Thanks! Trying to figure if my 30* bag is good enough. Seems to be right on the edge. My wife’s 40* bag my not be enough. I can do what we always do when she gets cold. I unzip my bag and use it like a quilt, so I can cover her with half of my bag. It usually helps.
      DMax, I really recommend a 20 degree bag. I would not consider the JMT with a 30 degree bag beyond the Yosemite section under any circumstances.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

      I used a 20F quilt, really only good to 30, and was happy in july.

      But...extra is good. Got chilled bad hiking in cold 50F rain a couple times....shivering by time got shelter up ....faster you can warm up the better. Usually doze off eventually, wake up 1.5 hrs later toasty warm with warm feet again.

      Heres temperature plot of cottonwood lakes station at 10300 ft i think for one yr. One night at 20, one at 28 in june. Rest of lows about 30 min.

      Anyhow....look up area and pick off map, or go by elevation from list on california CDEC site. Summer lows are pretty darn predictable
      Images
      • Screenshot_20210114-190747.png

        80.71 kB, 337×600, viewed 3 times

      The post was edited 5 times, last by Muddywaters ().