Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATC Survey

• LSt week I got an on-line survey from ATC. I made sure to let them know how I felt about their constant plea for money and involvement in politically correct social issues. I answered the question about if I'll renew my membership with a No. We're life members and don't need to renew. :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

LSt week I got an on-line survey from ATC. I made sure to let them know how I felt about their constant plea for money and involvement in politically correct social issues. I answered the question about if I'll renew my membership with a No. We're life members and don't need to renew. :D
      I also completed their survey letting them know I was not renewing my membership for similar reasons. Once they "open'" the trail again I might consider renewing, but right now they are harming more than helping the trail.

It reminds me of a bumper sticker my dad use to have, "If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns". So while people like me who practice LNT stayed off the AT this summer per their wishes, a bunch of cluess newbies have bombarded it. Much better if they had kept ridge runners, rangers, and experienced hikers out there to help show how things should be done.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • After much contemplation, I renewed my membership for the 32nd time (shoulda got Life years ago!) becasue I believe they handled the pandemic correctly -- placing primary importance on the lives and health of hikers and the townspeople hikers come in contact with. I'm sure this was a difficult decision that they knew would be unpopular with their members. Our polititions could learn a few things from the ATC.

The issues I have with the ATC pale in significance to the pandemic.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I believe they handled the pandemic correctly -- placing primary importance on the lives and health of hikers and the townspeople hikers come in contact with.
      nowhere .......absolutely nowhere in their charter of responsibilities.......is being protector of townspeople near the AT corridor given as their responsibility. Or hikers for that matter......many people depend on hikers for income....

The reaction.....although sensible initially.....is clearly overblown as we've learned more about the virus. But yet they stand their ground. Somewhat foolishly imo.

The real problem....is too many hikers to start with. Same problems every year.....each year norovirus runs rampant. They never gave a crap about that..... Unhealthful conditions on AT. People getting sick.

But, in spite of it, the trail is very busy, people ARE using shelters and privies. In high numbers. Just not many thru hikers.

So say, as we expect, covid never goes away completely. What then? Tear down shelters....reduce #s..?

Decisions decisions.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Muddywaters ().