Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

I've lost a little weight

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've lost a little weight

In an effort to reduce pack weight I've been examining everything I carry. This past weekend it was our windscreen. The one we've been using I made from aluminum flashing and it weighs 30 grams. I made a new one out of craft foil, the same size as the old one and it weighs 12 grams. I know the weight savings is only 18 grams, what I don't know yet is how it will work or how long it will last. The old one is years and years old
    • LIhikers wrote:

In an effort to reduce pack weight I've been examining everything I carry. This past weekend it was our windscreen. The one we've been using I made from aluminum flashing and it weighs 30 grams. I made a new one out of craft foil, the same size as the old one and it weighs 12 grams. I know the weight savings is only 18 grams, what I don't know yet is how it will work or how long it will last. The old one is years and years old
      what kind of stove? When I was doing lots of alcohol stove research I came to believe that windscreens did more than block wind, but also controlled air flow so I would check to see if adjusting your new screen could influence stove performance.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I have always heard ounces become pounds, so I guess grams become killograms. Just might take a little longer. ;)

Seriously congratulations on all your weight reduction efforts! :thumbup:
      When I started at Springer in 2010 my base weight was around 35 pounds, now I am around 14. Not ultralight by any means, but still well less than half (60%) of what I started with.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

what kind of stove? When I was doing lots of alcohol stove research I came to believe that windscreens did more than block wind, but also controlled air flow so I would check to see if adjusting your new screen could influence stove performance.
      We use an alcohol stove called the Etowah II. Using a hole punch I have holes along the bottom egde of the wind screen.
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have always heard ounces become pounds, so I guess grams become killograms. Just might take a little longer. ;)
      Seriously congratulations on all your weight reduction efforts! :thumbup:
      When I started at Springer in 2010 my base weight was around 35 pounds, now I am around 14. Not ultralight by any means, but still well less than half (60%) of what I started with.
      It's like a wise man once told me...you look after the pennies the dollars take care of themselves.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have always heard ounces become pounds, so I guess grams become killograms. Just might take a little longer. ;) Seriously congratulations on all your weight reduction efforts! :thumbup:
      It's like a wise man once told me...you look after the pennies the dollars take care of themselves.
      Thete's a lot of wisdom there.