Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Idaho Centennial Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Idaho Centennial Trail

I know HikerBoy and Mountain Mike talked about doing the Idaho Centennial Trail together, but don't believe they have actually done it (yet ;) ). Here is a story about a couple that have. Appears to be even wilder than the CDT.

idahostatesman.com/outdoors/hiking/article245705750.html
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 2 times, last by Astro: corrupted link ().

• Astro wrote:

I know HikerBoy and Mountain Mike talked about doing the Idaho Centennial Trail together, but don't believe they have actually done it (yet ;) ). Here is a story about a couple that have. Appears to be even wilder than the CDT.

deadspin.com/mlbs-empty-seats-…g%2Farticle245705750.html

that link is not working
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

deadspin.com/mlbs-empty-seats-…g%2Farticle245705750.html
      that link is not working
      Please try this instead.

idahostatesman.com/outdoors/hiking/article245705750.html
    • It's still on my bucket list. I relish the idea of a true wilderness hike. Hike is pretty much planned out. Just need finances to match up to it. This year has been pretty much a bust in my industry. I did order a new sleeping bag with my stimulus check! When it's made is in limbo.
      featheredfriends.com/products/…&utm_source=OrderlyEmails

Now I just need to use it more when I get it to stay in shape.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

It's still on my bucket list. I relish the idea of a true wilderness hike. Hike is pretty much planned out. Just need finances to match up to it. This year has been pretty much a bust in my industry. I did order a new sleeping bag with my stimulus check! When it's made is in limbo.
      featheredfriends.com/products/…&utm_source=OrderlyEmails

Now I just need to use it more when I get it to stay in shape.
      Please let us know when you do. Too wild for me to do a thru, but would love to meet up and try to walk with you for a couple of days. After driving to NH & ME the past few years driving 20+ hours doesn't seem that long anymore. :)
    • The ICT is once again back in play for 2024. While I had planned on doing it with Mountain Mike a few years back, life got in the way of both of our plans and had put it on the back burner.
      I met Heather "Anish" Anderson at the ALDHA Mid-Atlantic Ruck in February, and we've since become good friends. Anish holds the FKT for unsupported female SOBO for the AT, as well as a number of FKTs, and is one of the few people to complete a calendar year Triple Crown.SHe hs over 40000 miles under her belt. She had asked me if I still had any big trails left on my tick list, and I mentioned the ICT. SInce then, she's been encouraging me to commit to doing it.
      This is a true wilderness trail and logistics are not easy without local support, but a new guide book came out recently that gives a lot of detailed information on resupply, water caches, alternative routes etc.
      Idaho Centennial Trail A hikers guide

So I reached out to Mountain Mike to see if he's interested, and he's in.

Heather has a few friends that have done it already and will put me in touch to answer any questions regarding logistics. We will have to plan multiple water caches in the desert portion which should take us a week or so to get through, and we will also need to carefully plan our resupply as there re only a few towns the trail travels close to over it's 900 mile span.
      I'll be turning 67 next year, so if I'm going to do it, it's pretty much now or never.
      Planning on starting the end of May 2024

its all good
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Wow! You’re good friends with Heather Anderson!!! I don’t revere celebrities but I admire her the way some people admire Tom Cruise.

You will be spectacular on the ICT!
      I personally would also rate her and her accomplishments higher than his. I have bought a book by her. Never even considered buying one by or about him.
    • Well my bucket list hike is once again on my radar and I hope to finally do it next year. I had met triple crowner and multiple FKT holder Heather Anderson in Fe

Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Wow! You’re good friends with Heather Anderson!!! I don’t revere celebrities but I admire her the way some people admire Tom Cruise.

You will be spectacular on the ICT!
      I personally would also rate her and her accomplishments higher than his. I have bought a book by her. Never even considered buying one by or about him.
      Both of her books are great. She's working on one about her calendar year triple crown.Although we are at opposite ends of the hiking spectrum, we share the same spiritual view of long distance hiking and our relationship with nature. She's an extremely driven young lady who is creating the life she wants. She decides what she wants to do and just goes out and does it. Right now she's tackling the Washington section of the PCT, although there may be an issue with a wildfire closure. In May she did the PA section of the AT in just over 110 hours. She's mastered the art of "doing it wrong."
      its all good
    • Sounds like great fun HB. Glad it is back on your radar.

For a second I was worried that your post was saying you were gonna hike it with Amish. Ha, ha. She would kill us all.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Sounds like great fun HB. Glad it is back on your radar.

For a second I was worried that your post was saying you were gonna hike it with Amish. Ha, ha. She would kill us all.
      Only way we would have a chance of keeping up would be with like a relay against her doing it solo, and I still doubt we could keep up. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Only way we would have a chance of keeping up would be with like a relay against her doing it solo, and I still doubt we could keep up. :rolleyes:
      if we were to race her up and down Angel's Landing and I took the "short cut" down, I would still lose ( in more ways than one).
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

if we were to race her up and down Angel's Landing and I took the "short cut" down, I would still lose ( in more ways than one).
      Yesterday, Anish established a new unsupported FKT for the WAShington PCT

From her blog:
      "
      Sometimes I'm afraid of dying. But I've never been afraid of living.

New overall unsupported Washington PCT FKT and first female time: 11 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes.

Unsupported at this distance requires a unique pairing of strength and speed that is mind-bogglingly difficult.

It requires you to perhaps be stronger in your mind than your body to stay all in with the ethos.

To accept nothing along the way and use only what you began with, no matter what.

To stay all in when you spend the night shivering on the ground wrapped in a tattered emergency
      blanket and later walk by a hotel, exhausted.

To stay all in when you are rationing hard and four road crossings in a row have hiker feeds or trail magic.

To stay all in when you get cell service and all you want to do is call someone to get you out of there.

There were certainly times I didn't think I had what it takes to do this, but I stayed all in...

With gratitude to the mountains I love and the body that takes me places I never thought possible."

She is a very special person.
      its all good

The post was edited 1 time, last by hikerboy ().

• hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Yesterday, Anish established a new unsupported FKT for the WAShington PCT
      From her blog:
      "
      Sometimes I'm afraid of dying. But I've never been afraid of living.

New overall unsupported Washington PCT FKT and first female time: 11 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes.

Unsupported at this distance requires a unique pairing of strength and speed that is mind-bogglingly difficult.

It requires you to perhaps be stronger in your mind than your body to stay all in with the ethos.

To accept nothing along the way and use only what you began with, no matter what.

To stay all in when you spend the night shivering on the ground wrapped in a tattered emergency
      blanket and later walk by a hotel, exhausted.

To stay all in when you are rationing hard and four road crossings in a row have hiker feeds or trail magic.

To stay all in when you get cell service and all you want to do is call someone to get you out of there.

There were certainly times I didn't think I had what it takes to do this, but I stayed all in...

With gratitude to the mountains I love and the body that takes me places I never thought possible."

She is a very special person.
      Inspiration.
      Lost in the right direction.