Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

John Muir to be wiped away from history

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• John Muir to be wiped away from history

Cancel Culture wins another battle.

npr.org/sections/live-updates-…s-the-racism-of-john-muir

Excerpt:

But amid the nationwide reappraisal of racist monuments, the Sierra Club said Wednesday that "it's time to take down some of our own monuments," including of its founder, Muir.

"He made derogatory comments about Black people and Indigenous peoples that drew on deeply harmful racist stereotypes," Executive Director Michael Brune wrote on the group's website. "As the most iconic figure in Sierra Club history, Muir's words and actions carry an especially heavy weight. They continue to hurt and alienate Indigenous people and people of color who come into contact with the Sierra Club."

• roadrunner wrote:

Excerpt:

But amid the nationwide reappraisal of racist monuments, the Sierra Club said Wednesday that "it's time to take down some of our own monuments," including of its founder, Muir.

"He made derogatory comments about Black people and Indigenous peoples that drew on deeply harmful racist stereotypes," Executive Director Michael Brune wrote on the group's website. "As the most iconic figure in Sierra Club history, Muir's words and actions carry an especially heavy weight. They continue to hurt and alienate Indigenous people and people of color who come into contact with the Sierra Club."

This has gone way past the point of ridiculous. :thumbdown:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

roadrunner wrote:

Excerpt:

This has gone way past the point of ridiculous. :thumbdown:
      Just my 2 cents, but I don't think it's right to judge people of the past using today's standards which they had no way to know would come about.
    • There needs to be a rational philosophical underpinning for revisiting the validity of monuments. For me it should be to ask not who you commemorate but what. When you go to an art gallery, do you research the moral record of each artist before looking at a painting? When you turn on the radio, do you Google each artist before enjoying a song? Instead ask what is the cornerstone of a person's a compliments. Was Stonewall Jackson's primary accomplishment to defend a treasonous racist movement? Yes. Was John Muir's primary accomplishment to contribute to the body of racist literature?. No.
    • odd man out wrote:

There needs to be a rational philosophical underpinning for revisiting the validity of monuments. For me it should be to ask not who you commemorate but what. When you go to an art gallery, do you research the moral record of each artist before looking at a painting? When you turn on the radio, do you Google each artist before enjoying a song? Instead ask what is the cornerstone of a person's a compliments. Was Stonewall Jackson's primary accomplishment to defend a treasonous racist movement? Yes. Was John Muir's primary accomplishment to contribute to the body of racist literature?. No.
      Well said OMO
    • odd man out wrote:

There needs to be a rational philosophical underpinning for revisiting the validity of monuments. For me it should be to ask not who you commemorate but what. When you go to an art gallery, do you research the moral record of each artist before looking at a painting? When you turn on the radio, do you Google each artist before enjoying a song? Instead ask what is the cornerstone of a person's a compliments. Was Stonewall Jackson's primary accomplishment to defend a treasonous racist movement? Yes. Was John Muir's primary accomplishment to contribute to the body of racist literature?. No.
      Stonewall Jackson was one of the most honorable men to ever walk this earth. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson's actions had nothing to do with racism or treason, but strictly with defending their homeland, the state of Virginia against the illegal and immoral war of nothern aggression.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • News flash

Everyone that lived back then made derogatory comments about other people......

compared to the civilization that Europeans built , most of the rest of the world was grossly inferior.... Their way of life did not promote the same level of advancement technology.

Get over it.

Europeans conquered and built the world. The whole damn thing.
      That's the fact Jack.
      Everybody else is still playing catch-up today. While bad-mouthing the people that brought them out of the mud huts... And showed them the way to a better life.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• roadrunner wrote:

Excerpt:

Glad I still have the self control to delete my reply to this....I'm not upset with the folks doing this....I'm angry with those tolerating it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.