Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Liz Anjos "Mercury" FKT Attempt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I've had PF too. I probably should stretch but I never remeber to. Haven't had a flare up for several years now. Seems to be show related for me.
      "Show" related? ?( Planning a second career on Broadway? :D
      shoe related. When I wear dress shoes to see Hamilton, it flares up.
      Maybe that was it! We saw Hamilton last year in person here in Big-D, but watched it on Disney+ just a few weeks ago!! Maybe that caused the PF!?!?
      Actually, the shoes.....With Covid, we went back to walking every night, 2 miles. I'd do 3 but our neighbor walks with us. A few days a week, I was taking the dog on a 3 mile forest hike in addition. I walk on the outside of my heals, yes I have orthotics. AND I let my shoes wear out (I can tell when the outside heals are worn smooth). A few weeks after I first thought "Well, shoot, wore these out quicker with the walking on the concrete trails", and Did NOT get new shoes....here I am dealing with PF.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

They are still moving north but accepting no records are within reach.
      I have no use for Doyle, but I was rooting that she would be successful.

I wonder if another attempt is in the cards. Knowing that she was ahead of JPD and Springbean for 3 weeks despite battling shin splints since day 1 gives her something to think about.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

But could still be valuable in knowing what to do different next time. Such as going SoBo, better support details, etc..
      Yes. And JPD set one record, then used that to build on another FKT. I wonder if the fast at the start, was planned.
    • max.patch wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

I have no use for Doyle, but I was rooting that she would be successful.
      I wonder if another attempt is in the cards. Knowing that she was ahead of JPD and Springbean for 3 weeks despite battling shin splints since day 1 gives her something to think about.
      the Blog posts, sort of bothered me. Why did every page, on the bottom, tout Mr. Doyle's hikes?

Today's (7/28/2020) posts includes:
      "After 21 days, Mercury covered 971.1 miles a 46.2 mpd average"

I'd still be at the 200 mile, maybe a bit more, mark.
    • rhjanes wrote:

the Blog posts, sort of bothered me. Why did every page, on the bottom, tout Mr. Doyle's hikes?

You know why, because of his monster ego. It is no coincidence he called himself 'Jupiter' the largest of the planets.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

You know why, because of his monster ego. It is no coincidence he called himself 'Jupiter' the largest of the planets.
      Jupiter also has 79 moons rotating around it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Jupiter also has 79 moons rotating around it. :)
      And you can't spell 'morons' without moons...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Not to take anything away from someone who walked the at 18 times, vast majority of which were slackpacking with his slack pack groups........

But why? There are so much better places to actually hike and see than the AT..... The AT community is pretty special.......but at some point you got to want to see something else....... Instead of the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

Too bad for her.....the big day out the gate may have set up the shin splints....

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muddywaters ().

• Muddywaters wrote:

Not to take anything away from someone who walked the at 18 times, vast majority of which were slackpacking with his slack pack groups........

But why? There are so much better places to actually hike and see than the AT..... The AT community is pretty special.......but at some point you got to want to see something else....... Instead of the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

Too bad for her.....the big day out the gate may have set up the shin splints....
      yeah...fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. :)

so many nice trails...
      Lost in the right direction.
    • On Day 34 I hitched into Erwin, TN with 2 other thrus where we did laundry, picked up our mail and wrote letters, and then went to Pizza Hut for pizza and the AYCE salad bar. Everyone is Erwin was very friendly which was the opposite of thier reputation at the time. We then hitched back to Nolichucky Expeditions for cheesecake and strawberry rhubarb pie. At 7:30 pm we started our hiking for the day, headed (with 1 additional hiker) to the first shelter 2.9 miles away where we made a fire and had smores and Jiffy Pop popcorn. (Amazing how food years later is still a memory.)

On Day 34 Mercury hiked 48.6 miles to Massachussets.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

On Day 34 I hitched into Erwin, TN with 2 other thrus where we did laundry, picked up our mail and wrote letters, and then went to Pizza Hut for pizza and the AYCE salad bar. Everyone is Erwin was very friendly which was the opposite of thier reputation at the time. We then hitched back to Nolichucky Expeditions for cheesecake and strawberry rhubarb pie. At 7:30 pm we started our hiking for the day, headed (with 1 additional hiker) to the first shelter 2.9 miles away where we made a fire and had smores and Jiffy Pop popcorn. (Amazing how food years later is still a memory.)

AYCE Pizza at small town near Neal Gap, Restaurant right on the AT at NOC, Homeplace, Woods Hole, Bears Den, Deli circuit in NJ/NY, Papa Johns at end of MA just before VT, breakfast at Harrison Fish Camp (Patriotic Pancakes) and then again at Carantuk House (french toast, bacon, potatoes with peppers an onions), Buffalo Burger 3 nights in a row at Andover. Yes these are just a few memories that immediately come to mind. :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

On Day 34 I hitched into Erwin, TN with 2 other thrus where we did laundry, picked up our mail and wrote letters, and then went to Pizza Hut for pizza and the AYCE salad bar. Everyone is Erwin was very friendly which was the opposite of thier reputation at the time. We then hitched back to Nolichucky Expeditions for cheesecake and strawberry rhubarb pie. At 7:30 pm we started our hiking for the day, headed (with 1 additional hiker) to the first shelter 2.9 miles away where we made a fire and had smores and Jiffy Pop popcorn. (Amazing how food years later is still a memory.)

What Mercury can do is amazing....
      but what you did sounds like a lot more fun to me.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

AYCE Pizza at small town near Neal Gap, Restaurant right on the AT at NOC, Homeplace, Woods Hole, Bears Den, Deli circuit in NJ/NY, Papa Johns at end of MA just before VT, breakfast at Harrison Fish Camp (Patriotic Pancakes) and then again at Carantuk House (french toast, bacon, potatoes with peppers an onions), Buffalo Burger 3 nights in a row at Andover. Yes these are just a few memories that immediately come to mind. :thumbup:
      I stop by the places I ate on the trail when I have the chance to see if the food is really as good as I thought it was....it just ain't the same as when the body has been feeding on itself.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

What Mercury can do is amazing....but what you did sounds like a lot more fun to me.
      I wrote that post just to compare how far Mercury had gone in 34 days compared to an average thru hiker.

But after I read what I wrote I had the exact same reaction you did.
      2,000 miler
    • My most memorable, not actually the meal, but the after desert desert was in Erwin when Uncle Johnny took us in to town for dinner and supplies, we had a big Mexican meal with several beers and apple pie and I bought a loaf of frosted cinnamon raisen bread (18 oz) to take back on the trail. I was sitting on a bench waiting for Johnny to pick me up and thought I'd have a slice of that bread...ate the whole thing...and was still hungry.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

What Mercury can do is amazing....but what you did sounds like a lot more fun to me.
      Type 2 vs. Type 1 fun. :D
    • rhjanes wrote:

She is into the Whites. The latest post is stating they are shooting for a 52 day traverse. She is still injured.
      That is barely more than half of the 100 days my student Koltrain did it in, and I thought he was really fast (of course unsupported traditional NoBo hike).

Impressive even if not a record. Proud of her sticking with it even after record not possible. Best possible training/experience for if you do want to come back and break the FKT. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

She finished in Stratton yesterday, which means if my mental math is correct she has 35 miles to go to reach the Kennebec.

Wonder what she'll do?

(I have a pretty good idea.)
      I hope she has better weather/views through there than I did (lots of rain and fog).
    • max.patch wrote:

She finished in Stratton yesterday, which means if my mental math is correct she has 35 miles to go to reach the Kennebec.

Wonder what she'll do?

(I have a pretty good idea.)
      Well...I was wrong.

She was there at dusk which may have influenced her decision. Since the "safest" time to ford is in the morning I was wondering if they would have a "short" day in order to hit the river in the morning. Part of what may have influenced that decision is how close you can get to the river from the South since she is sleeping in the van -- and I don't know the answer to that.

Edit to add: Didn't mean to sound cryptic. She took the canoe ride.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Mercury can say it better than I can:

Yesterday, August 27th, I completed the 2,193 mile Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine in 51 days, 16 hours, and 30 minutes- the second fastest time ever for a woman behind Jennifer Pharr Davis, who I have so much respect and admiration for (now more than ever!), and I set the women’s fastest known time going northbound on the trail. I was supported the entire way by AT guru/legend Warren Doyle (Jupiter), who met me over 400 times on windy mountain roads with the support vehicle (Pegasus) and worked around the clock to provide the best support possible. Special thanks to David Horton for joining our crew for the first crucial days, providing moral support throughout, and sending the “bat signal” for help from amazing folks all along the trail. He told me he was glad I beat his record time set in 1991 and I believe him. [IMG:https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t4c/1/16/1f642.png] I’m blown away by the support we received from family, friends, and hiking/running communities. I have so many people to thank and tons to share, but for now I’m getting some much needed rest. Excellent trail updates by Jupiter are on mercuryontheat.com if you’d like to see how it all went down. Trip report/thoughts to come... but for now, sleep! -Mercury

Picture:

[IMG:https://scontent.fatl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p180x540/118352071_2667165266834463_2594077096535868223_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=V6aPPPbR-D4AX-yGv2N&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-1.fna&tp=6&oh=6b7c8edab00ac05fd7f0f067a5372318&oe=5F6E74D4]
      2,000 miler
    • Happy for her. :thumbup:

Choosing NoBo instead of SoBo may have been to have that consolation prize of still having a "FKT" (Woman supported NoBo).

She should have learned a lot, and if still interested be much better prepared for a SoBo attempt at the "recognized" record. :)
    • Muddywaters wrote:

• Good for her. Since stringbean and karel went nobo, I think the concept of sobo being advantageous has pretty much been disproven, and there are no nobo and sobo individual records. The weather is a bigger factor.

I know there are an no directional records, thus the quotes. Tradeoff of direction is getting the toughest behind you vs. building up for it, and perhaps now the conventiontional wisdom no longer holds. I agree weather along with injuries are the most significant factors.