Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Electrolytes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

I'm wondering what people use for electrolyte replacement on hikes of a week or more.
      Anybody have something that they like to use, and why.
      Thanks to JimmyJam way back in 2015 in SNP I use Propel. Less claories and packaging than Gatorade.

Use the bottles at home, but buy the boxes for hikes. Throwaway the box and put them in plastics baggies (snack or sandwich size depending how many at the time).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

I like NUUN Endurance. I don't like artificial sweeteners. Glucose (aka dextrose) helps you absorb the electrolytes. NUUN has sugar (sucrose and glucose), electrolytes, natural flavor, and not much else. Drop a tablet in your water bottle.
      I wish I had known, I would have mailed you some. Tasted like chalk to me. :thumbdown: Foolishly got a package discount from Amazon on 4 rolls. I gave them to my son, but he didn't like them either.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I tried NUUN and another tablet one. They are sort of OK. I found different flavors of the same product, taste (to me) better than others. Unfortunately I didn't record WHICH flavors. I do like the packets of the powdered stuff better overall. They seem to taste better (probably more sugar) and dissolve much better. I forget which tables caused a sticky film on a water bottle. I couldn't wash it off, hot water didn't even move it much. Glad they are the toss-able type Smart Water bottles.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • The other thing I've done when I could not find Propel on a hike, was to buy the Gatorade gummies that you are supposed to chew, which I didn't like, and I'd drop one in my water bottle and shake it awhile and it would disolve.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference