Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

String Bean Breaks Unsupported FKT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• String Bean Breaks Unsupported FKT

instagram.com/p/CBeA5D3HKh1/

thestring.bean

New Long Trail Overall and Men’s Unsupported FKT on the 273 mile Vermont Long Trail - 4 days, 23 hours and 56 minutes ⛰⚡️
      I am beyond words. The trail is humbling, inspiring, and grueling. Anyone who’s hiked or run the 273 mile Long Trail knows it is a unique beast. Its endless rocks, roots, exposed peaks and steep climbs make it unlike anything I’ve ever run/power hiked/frolicked thru (unless you count for my 2015 attempt where I blew up after 90 miles )
      In my final 48 hours, I faced sleep deprivation. I had to overcome constant self-doubt, a slowed pace, and a dead headlamp and phone, but the burn to finish in under 5 days was relentless. Going into the final night, I had one option: run as far as physically possible with 24% iPhone flashlight battery life, sleep, and then have 2 hours of sunlight to run like hell and finish before 6:29am. On my knees, in the end, my watch read 6:23am.
      Upon arriving and taking almost 24 hours off the unsupported time, I was surprised by a cast of my favorite Boston people: My wife, who I CANNOT THANK ENOUGH, the Gunduz duo, the Katzmans, Jen Watt, and Eli Burakian ( cred). I finished with a water, kombucha, hot chai tea and a Heady Topper beer. Everything good in life. Turns out I also aged 15 years.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I don't know how many Cafe members have done the northern half of the LT, but this is just a stunning time. I cannot even imagine. A ten-mile day on this trail does me in.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier