Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro on the AT 2020

I plan to leave for ME 3 weeks from today. Will start hiking NoBo from Monson to Katahdin on Wednesday July 8. This will knock out 112 miles.

Originally had planned to do the 55 miles from Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch first. Now will consider myself lucky if this opens up later in July, but realistically know at this point I will probably have to come back in 2021.

Still having 2,138 miles will be a success I guess considering the circumstances. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

I plan to leave for ME 3 weeks from today. Will start hiking NoBo from Monson to Katahdin on Wednesday July 8. This will knock out 112 miles.

Originally had planned to do the 55 miles from Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch first. Now will consider myself lucky if this opens up later in July, but realistically know at this point I will probably have to come back in 2021.

Still having 2,138 miles will be a success I guess considering the circumstances. :)
      Do you know if the hostels in Maine will be open this summer ?
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

Do you know if the hostels in Maine will be open this summer ?
      When I spoke previously with Shaw's they said yes (esepcially after July 1) and White House Landing appears to be. Have not checked with the Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millenrocket yet. Plan to make calls to confirm as I get closer over the next couple of weeks.
    • Astro wrote:

That was the last section I did, I enjoyed Monson, really nice accommodating, trail friendly people.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

That was the last section I did, I enjoyed Monson, really nice accommodating, trail friendly people.
      I really enjoyed the time I stayed there last summer, but unfortunatey missed their breakfast as I had a shuttle early in the morning. Looking forward to it this time.
    • Astro, when you say you are waiting for Pinkham to Grafton to 'open up', wha do you mean? The state restrictions in NH & Maine seem to be on a similar trajectory.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro, when you say you are waiting for Pinkham to Grafton to 'open up', wha do you mean? The state restrictions in NH & Maine seem to be on a similar trajectory.
      Well perhaps I am placing too much weight on the hostels (phone conversations and read online), where in NH they are shut down in June and planning/hoping to open in July. While in ME they are open and moving to no 14 day quarantine in July.

Also ME is much more open to dispersed camping as compared to the section between the Pinkham and Grafton Notches where you are pretty much limited to the shelters and tent sites that say they are closed.

You are closer to the situation (or at least location), so let me know if I am totally misinterpreting things.
    • And the most postive things about today's email is that the AT is open except for the 5.2 miles of Katahdin (expected to open July 1).

With more states relaxing stay-at-home restrictions and more sections of the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) reopening, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is due for a check-in with the hiking community and wanted to provide the latest status update for the A.T.
      As of today, all but 5.2 miles of the A.T. have re-opened, leaving only the northernmost A.T. miles on Katahdin closed (which is expected to open July 1)
    • Hello Astro,

I am not sure what is happening on the ground, but if you are interested you can read the WMNF closure order here...

fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd730980.pdf

Note that it indicates that 50 feet around the shelters is closed (50 feet is not much). I think that would still leave you with plenty of dispersed camping opportunities around the shelter areas. Although NH's quarantine order is an issue to deal with, I have a feeling that by the time you get there restrictions in both NH & ME will be different. I'm just saying, I would not rule it out yet if that is the section you would like to complete first.

Lodging in NH is still a problem without meeting the quarantine requirements, but I am not sure you will need any NH lodging before you get to Maine. If you want a place to stay after your flight, you are welcome to spend a night at my place in North Reading, MA.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Drybones wrote:

I saw where some place in Russia above the arctic circle broke 100*...widest temp span on earth...record low of -91* and high of 100.2*.
      Years ago I read Ice Bound - the account of South Pole station doctor Jeri Neilson who got cancer in the winter when no evacuation was possible and had to operate on herself. In the book she described the tradition of the 300 degree club where they warm the sauna (which they have inside the living quarters) up to a temperature 300 degrees F hotter than outside (typically +200 F inside vs -100 F outside). Then you have to run outside naked (except for shoes) around the South Pole marker. In her book she wrote about having to treat for frostbite on all five appendages.
    • odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I saw where some place in Russia above the arctic circle broke 100*...widest temp span on earth...record low of -91* and high of 100.2*.
      Years ago I read Ice Bound - the account of South Pole station doctor Jeri Neilson who got cancer in the winter when no evacuation was possible and had to operate on herself. In the book she described the tradition of the 300 degree club where they warm the sauna (which they have inside the living quarters) up to a temperature 300 degrees F hotter than outside (typically +200 F inside vs -100 F outside). Then you have to run outside naked (except for shoes) around the South Pole marker. In her book she wrote about having to treat for frostbite on all five appendages.
      I'd prefer the half-gallon challenge over that any day!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Plan to start at Monson two weeks from today. :)
      Decided to push to start a day earlier since if I am able to complete the AT this will take multiple shuttles and I need to be back well before my son's wedding on 8/8.

Called White House Landing today and they are open, but not to hikers this year. So I called Shaw's again and will have them do a food drop at Jo-Mary Road. After Katahdin, I plan to go to Gorham and go from Rt 2 to Grafton Notch. Then assuming my body is still holding up, comes the real challenging part, Pinkham Notch to Rt 2. Have to go 13 miles to around (50 ft away) Imp Camp Site (assuming nothing available before that), but if I can do that, only 8 miles to Rt 2 to finish. Just a real shame that Carter Hut is closed. Will have to see how things are going before I start that, but would hate to have to go back to NH next summer for just 21 miles.
    • Well for the first time in 10 years there will no Astro on the AT. :(
      Unfortunately we had a death in the family and I had to travel to MN for a few days early last week for the funeral where people came from multiple states. Other than my trip to NC to see my dad on Fathers Day, where I still only saw a handfull of people, my existence the last three months has been pretty isolated. So instead of getting a COVID-19 test last week as planned (no symptoms, just to meet the Maine requirements), I now had to wait a week until today (since this time last week was my most likely chance of contracting it). Well by the time I get the results it would have really cut into my time to hike before my son's wedding coming up in August. With all the restrictions in ME and NH I guess this always was like trying to draw cards to fill an inside straight.

Next year should be better and I can start with Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch (maybe even hook up with Coach Lou for the last half of it), then move on to Monson to finish at Kathadin as originally planned. :)

So I have turned my focus for this summer to the Colorado Trail. Wanted to try the Collegiate Loop (161 miles), but nearly all of it was 9,000 to 12,000 feet and I know my wife wants me around more as the wedding gets closer. So instead planning to do the first 5 segments of the CT (72 miles) starting next Monday. Starts at 5,500 before working its way up to nearly 11,000.
    • Astro wrote:

Well for the first time in 10 years there will no Astro on the AT. :(
      Unfortunately we had a death in the family and I had to travel to MN for a few days early last week for the funeral where people came from multiple states. Other than my trip to NC to see my dad on Fathers Day, where I still only saw a handfull of people, my existence the last three months has been pretty isolated. So instead of getting a COVID-19 test last week as planned (no symptoms, just to meet the Maine requirements), I now had to wait a week until today (since this time last week was my most likely chance of contracting it). Well by the time I get the results it would have really cut into my time to hike before my son's wedding coming up in August. With all the restrictions in ME and NH I guess this always was like trying to draw cards to fill an inside straight.

Next year should be better and I can start with Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch (maybe even hook up with Coach Lou for the last half of it), then move on to Monson to finish at Kathadin as originally planned. :)

So I have turned my focus for this summer to the Colorado Trail. Wanted to try the Collegiate Loop (161 miles), but nearly all of it was 9,000 to 12,000 feet and I know my wife wants me around more as the wedding gets closer. So instead planning to do the first 5 segments of the CT (72 miles) starting next Monday. Starts at 5,500 before working its way up to nearly 11,000.
      Sorry about your family loss and you having to scrap your plans. I still need to hike nobo from Pinkham Notch, maybe the stars will align and we can hike a little together.
      The Colorado Trail sounds awesome.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Sorry about your family loss and you having to scrap your plans. I still need to hike nobo from Pinkham Notch, maybe the stars will align and we can hike a little together.The Colorado Trail sounds awesome.
      Thanks. I don't know if I could keep up with you for long, but it sure would be nice if it worked out.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Sorry about your family loss and you having to scrap your plans. I still need to hike nobo from Pinkham Notch, maybe the stars will align and we can hike a little together.The Colorado Trail sounds awesome.
      Thanks. I don't know if I could keep up with you for long, but it sure would be nice if it worked out.
      I'm slowing down, everything seems to hurt these days- I think my age is starting to catch up with me. I don't think I'll be doing anymore 20+ mpd. It'll be more like 10 in NH and ME.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • IMScotty wrote:

Sorry top head that Astro, but the CT is a nice consolation prize.

JJ, you planning on doing a section this year?
      Probably get out and hike a little in the SNP or maybe some pieces between Roanoke and there. I think I'm going to the ALDHA Gathering in Abington in October and taking one of my bikes with me and riding that section of the Creeper between Damascus and Abington. Maybe, just maybe going out to the Grand Canyon for a week in October too, but things have really got to improve before I'm comfortable getting on a plane, heck I don't even enjoy flying when things are normal- causes me anxiety.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I flew this week, Boston to Vegas. Jet Blue one way and Spirit the other way. Both airlines kept the middle seats empty which was nice. Both airlines announced that masks are mandatory throughout the flight. But then Jet Blue served snacks and drinks, and guess what, nobody can eat with their masks on. By the end of the flight most everyone is 'cheating' with at least their nose uncovered (yes, including me), because it is hard to breath with those things on for 5 straight hours. There is no social distancing during deplaning, because everyone wants off ASAP. Oh well, I am not worried for myself, but I would not recommend it for the elderly or the immune compromised.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Hope you enjoy that section of the CT as much as I did, saw lots of wildlife.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.