Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hi friends!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi friends!

Hey all! I'm not sure if you remember me, (Clarity), but Max Patch found me on a North Georgia Facebook hiking group and our conversation made me think fondly of my friends here at the Cafe! How is everyone? How are your lives these days?

My life is drastically different than it was 5 years ago as I was planning to leave on my AT flip-flop thru-hike in just 1 month.

Miss this awesome group of people in my life. Also missing living at 2mph these days.

<3, Clarity
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Hey all! I'm not sure if you remember me, (Clarity), but Max Patch found me on a North Georgia Facebook hiking group and our conversation made me think fondly of my friends here at the Cafe! How is everyone? How are your lives these days?

My life is drastically different than it was 5 years ago as I was planning to leave on my AT flip-flop thru-hike in just 1 month.

Miss this awesome group of people in my life. Also missing living at 2mph these days.

<3, Clarity
      Clarity,
      So great to hear from you!
      My plan was to finish my last 167 miles of the AT in July, we will have to see if that works outs or not.
      If your flip-flop gets moved to 2021 and I have to wait to next year also, maybe I will see you as you pass me by in ME. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • twistwrist wrote:

<3, Clarity
      it's good to have you drop into the cafe. Life is different for most of us than it was 5 years ago. My wife and I are still doing the northern half of the AT in short sections. We have 120 miles of Maine to finish and then we'll do the half from Harper's Ferry south. Maybe when I retire in the next couple of years we'll do it as 1 journey.
    • TwistWrist,
      So good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger here. Would love to hear more on the details of your hikes past and future. Or, as you know, we will chat about almost anything in the Cafe.

Right about now I had planned to be heading out to California for my next PCT section hike. I try to do 200-300 miles / year. The PCTA have asked hikers to stay off the trail so I will honor that. If the PCT does open up later this summer, the desert section I had planned will be too hot and dry by then, so looks like I will have to make other plans.

I will be glad when we can all actually be hiking again.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • So good to see some familiar names here. :)

Astro, I won't flip-flop the AT again. I did that 5 years ago. Several of my friends from this forum were amazing trail angels along my journey@ I'm forever grateful for all of the angels along the way.

I am, however, hoping to land a permit for the JMT next summer to celebrate graduating with my Masters degree. :D It's harder for me to leave home for extended periods of time now than it once was...obligations n stuff. Anyone here ever done the JMT?

Good to hear from you IMScotty and LIHikers! Life's certainly an interesting, twisty journey.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • I did the JMT in 2015 TW. An exceptional experience. If you want to read my TrailJournal it is here...

trailjournals.com/journal/entry/518799

Or maybe it is better to be surprised. I am happy to give whatever advice you seek. The first hurdle is getting that permit. I got mine on the first try, but that was 5 years ago. It will be tougher now. The move that gave me an advantage was that I requested two different permits, the first from Cathedral Lakes (in Tuolumne Meadows) to Happy Isles. I hiked (mostly) downhill to Yosemite Valley, then I caught the shuttle back up to Tuolumne. The second permit was to complete the journey from Tuolumne to Whitney. It was sort of an inside-out flipflop. This itinerary greatly increased my chance of getting a permit, and (at the time anyway) Cathedral Lakes trailheads were given a 'Halfdome permit to boot.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same. The first leg gave me a chance to acclimate, I did Halfdome (never again, ha, ha), and then did a more traditional SOBO for the rest of the journey.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I did the JMT in 2015 TW. An exceptional experience. If you want to read my TrailJournal it is here...

trailjournals.com/journal/entry/518799

Or maybe it is better to be surprised. I am happy to give whatever advice you seek. The first hurdle is getting that permit. I got mine on the first try, but that was 5 years ago. It will be tougher now. The move that gave me an advantage was that I requested two different permits, the first from Cathedral Lakes (in Tuolumne Meadows) to Happy Isles. I hiked (mostly) downhill to Yosemite Valley, then I caught the shuttle back up to Tuolumne. The second permit was to complete the journey from Tuolumne to Whitney. It was sort of an inside-out flipflop. This itinerary greatly increased my chance of getting a permit, and (at the time anyway) Cathedral Lakes trailheads were given a 'Halfdome permit to boot.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same. The first leg gave me a chance to acclimate, I did Halfdome (never again, ha, ha), and then did a more traditional SOBO for the rest of the journey.

This is fantastic information already! :D I'll definitely check out your trail journals. So cool. Thank you!