Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Socks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I finally wore out my favorite socks. Darn Tough micro crew cushion large oatmeal. It took over a month to get my free replacements by their lifetime warranty, with things being shut down, and all. I originally had their ATC edition socks, but those no longer come in oatmeal color. Should I feel guilty getting replacement socks for life? I have at least 5 pairs, and don't always get free replacements when they wear out. I also have a drawer full of not Darn Tough socks I never wear.

• odd man out wrote:

I finally wore out my favorite socks. Darn Tough micro crew cushion large oatmeal. It took over a month to get my free replacements by their lifetime warranty, with things being shut down, and all. I originally had their ATC edition socks, but those no longer come in oatmeal color. Should I feel guilty getting replacement socks for life? I have at least 5 pairs, and don't always get free replacements when they wear out. I also have a drawer full of not Darn Tough socks I never wear.

I would not feel guilty. If they didn't want people to use it, they would not have it. It's good marketing for them
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Just want to give another shout out to 'Darn Tough'. Sent in two pairs of worn out socks to take them up on their guarantee. Nothing wrong with the socks. These were well trail-worn and abused socks that finally wore in the heal. I truly never had another sock hold up as well as these did.

Just got their credit for the worn socks through an email. Ordered two replacements online. Zero total cost to me with free shipping. Like OMO I feel a bit guilty taking the up on this. Hope to repay the favor by singing their praises. Darn Tough, a great Vermont company and product.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Just want to give another shout out to 'Darn Tough'. Sent in two pairs of worn out socks to take them up on their guarantee. Nothing wrong with the socks. These were well trail-worn and abused socks that finally wore in the heal. I truly never had another sock hold up as well as these did.

Just got their credit for the worn socks through an email. Ordered two replacements online. Zero total cost to me with free shipping. Like OMO I feel a bit guilty taking the up on this. Hope to repay the favor by singing their praises. Darn Tough, a great Vermont company and product.
      Don't feel guilty. They practically challenge you to wear them out in their guarantee wording, which is prominent on their packaging. What's more, I'm sure they've built into the original purchase price the expected cost of warranty/guarantee replacements.

I have 1 hiking pair (I'm guessing the flagship tan/"AT" model) that is threadbare in some hotspots; did you wait for actual holes? For me, the cushioning "fuzz" is gone in those spots, but technically they're not holes yet. I'm assuming that's enough, but IDK. I have a couple other pairs that are more on the thin side to begin with, and it's a little less clear when those are worn. But they are showing signs on the Achilles tendon area. Anyway I was going to wait until I had at least 2 pair to send back, since shipping isn't very cheap anymore. Pretty much about $10 for the most minimal package size/weight at USPS, which as high as that seems, is probably less than FedEx or UPS.

They are, IMO, better than Smartwool. Less fluffy, but tougher. By miles? No. But significantly tougher.
    • Yup, waited till the holes reached nickel size. Like OMO I take my newest/ best pairs on hikes. The thin ones are my daily wearers.

Speaking of socks, on the other end of the spectrum the other type of sock I buy are diabetic socks. I'm not diabetic, I like them because they are so light and comfortable. I buy them in packs at CVS, they are cheap enough to be almost disposable.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • These are the only pair of socks that I’ve been tempted to return. They’re Injini toe socks and started getting holes after the second wear. They are great except for their short life span.
      Images
      • 10A13DFF-E47F-4665-9279-A1452B9FB09D.jpeg

125.4 kB, 396×600, viewed 204 times
      Lost in the right direction.