Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Missing Winter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Missing Winter

We didn't really have much of a winter this year on Long Island, and I think I'm missing it.
      No cold weather hiking, no snow camping, what's a guy to do?
      Last night I went to youtube and did a search for Wintergreen dog sled lodge, the place that Kathy and I have done our dogsledding, and watched video after video. I really enjoyed that and so spent hours watching, going into the wee hours of the morning,

That's a video that was part of a documentary made by National Geographic about Wintergreen and the experience people can have there.
      I wonder what kind of winter they had out there in Minnesota?
    • I pulled the trigger on the Tubbs Sno Shoes last month. I went once in central Vermont for an Overnite and 2 weeks ago in the Catskills for a day hike! I'm lovin' it. I may have to make a late season run to the Mtn. Washington area. We had 2 storms, both 1 inch....here on this side of Lawnguyland sound!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Anyone see 60 Minutes? The Dutch haven't been able to hold their annual 125 mile speed skating race for years because it no longer gets cold enough for their canals to freeze. They go over to the Swiss Alps and skate on a lake instead.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

I packed my Western Mountaineering winter sleeping bag away today. It came with a large fabric sack to store it in and that's what I use to keep it clean and contained when I'm not using it. I have a Montbell bag rated at 25F that I use for warmer weather other than winter.Us southerners are laughing at your 25* bag being for warmer weather. :)
      Us southerners are laughing about your 25* bag for "warmer weather". :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I packed my Western Mountaineering winter sleeping bag away today. It came with a large fabric sack to store it in and that's what I use to keep it clean and contained when I'm not using it. I have a Montbell bag rated at 25F that I use for warmer weather other than winter.Us southerners are laughing at your 25* bag being for warmer weather. :)
      actually I've used that Montbell bag into the teens with extra clothes
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I am wondering if I can get by with my Western Mountaineering HiLite 35* bag in 27* this weekend. Hate to carry the extra 2.5 pounds for my 20* bag. Hopefully things will warm up a little. :)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I am wondering if I can get by with my Western Mountaineering HiLite 35* bag in 27* this weekend. Hate to carry the extra 2.5 pounds for my 20* bag. Hopefully things will warm up a little. :)
      if it's for more than just 1 night I'd bring the warmer bag. A good night's sleep is worth a lot.
    • Last night I was looking at how nice it would be to have a WM UlatraLite (20*) or Versalite (10*). :)
      But then I looked at the prices, and that will definitely be a purchase that has to wait until at least next year. :/
    • Astro wrote:

Last night I was looking at how nice it would be to have a WM UlatraLite (20*) or Versalite (10*). :)
      But then I looked at the prices, and that will definitely be a purchase that has to wait until at least next year. :/
      When I bought my Western Mountaineering Puma I definitely had to wait until the time was right financially.
      Their stuff is expensive, very good, but expensive.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I've found I sleep warmer without extra clothes, boxers and tee shirt gives me the best sleep, if I have layers on, the bag interior never warms and my feet get cold and keep me awake...if the temperature is beyond the bag capacity I use extra clothes but my cold feet keep me awake.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.